Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times

Advertisements

Seattle woman may lose her home over barking dog - AOL.com

What do you all think? I've lived next to dogs that could drive me insane. What would you do if you lived next door to a dog that barked non stop? It's one of my biggest fears in owning a home. I plan to scout out the new home for extended periods during all days of the week and at all hours to see what goes on in the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM

323 posts, read 377,602 times
When you're supposed to show up to court, you show up to court.

This isn't an issue over losing a house for a barking dog, it's an issue with somebody thinking that they can ignore legal proceedings filed against them.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:59 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,118 times
Had she showed up in court, the suit likely would have been dismissed, or she would have been fined a nominal amount. Not showing up is an automatic loss for the full amount. Maybe she can appeal the judgement; $500,000 for a barking dog is a bit ridiculous!

She never should have allowed the situation to get to this point point. When a neighbor complains about your dogs barking, the issue is almost always your dogs barking! Fix it!

Sometimes a nieghbor is a jerk about dogs, but usually, it really is your dogs (or how you handle the dogs) are annoying.

FYI my three dogs rarely bark and they are brought inside when they do. They are walked at least 2 times a day. We have a nieghbor who's dogs bark 24/7, they are "yard dogs" and are garage kept at night, little opportunity to run or relieve energy/stress. I find myself torn between putting up with the noise because I have dogs, and wanting the dogs removed from the premises. It really is the dogs (or owner, more specifically) that are the problem!

Old 02-12-2015, 11:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,432,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Seattle woman may lose her home over barking dog - AOL.com

What do you all think? I've lived next to dogs that could drive me insane. What would you do if you lived next door to a dog that barked non stop? It's one of my biggest fears in owning a home. I plan to scout out the new home for extended periods during all days of the week and at all hours to see what goes on in the hood.
Responsible pet owners take care of their animals and should do something about a dog that barks incessantly. We have this problem right now; the neighbors behind us let their dog out at 5am and the dog won't shut up for hours. When we've gone over there, or when our neighbors go over there, the problem stops for awhile and then starts up again. We are contemplating calling the police about it, and our neighbors have already done so.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,118 times
Just thought of this, my bet is some lawyer found her maximum liability coverage in her home owner's insurance and sued for that amount.

Assuming she has home owner's insurance (and if shahada mortgage, she does!), the court judgement shouldn't cause her to lose her home, but will likely cause her insurance company to cancel her policy.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,784 times
I have no pity for this lady, she should have found a way to control her dog's barking. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but after having lived next door to someone who could (would) not control his mutts for almost 4 years, I have no pity for anyone who loses anything over excessively barking dogs. I had audio clips on my computer, over an hour long per clip, of this guy's dogs barking non stop. I only deleted them recently because there is no point any more, not only did the cops not do anything about it, nor the animal control, but he is no longer an issue due to getting run over by a drunk.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,574,751 times
I don't feel sorry for that woman one bit. I have this problem w/my landlord. I live in a cottage behind his house. He's got one of those scottish terriers. I hate that thing. It wakes me up every weekend barking. It's woken me up when I'm napping from barking. It's woken me up in the middle of the night when I have to work the next morning from barking. I have mentioned this to my landlord. He says there's nothing he can do because he can't train his dog since it's old. I hope that dog dies soon & believe me, it is very unlike me to think that about any animal. But I truly hate that dog. I can hear that dog bark when it's inside his house & I'm inside my house. I can't get away from it. That dog is the neighborhood menace. Anyway, that's my rant.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
I have no sympathy for her. Maybe her neighbor is being a complete arse - we don't know. It could just be normal barking going on when people approach the house or yard. But she had notifications and ignored them. That's the height of idiocy.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
She never should have allowed the situation to get to this point point. When a neighbor complains about your dogs barking, the issue is almost always your dogs barking! Fix it!
^^^^^^This.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
My bedroom in one apartment in which I lived face the backyard of a man who had a yard where he kept two dogs outside night and day. One of the dogs had separation anxiety issues. It barked nonstop all hours. Neighbors constantly complained. A petition was circulated and brought to the courts after numerous police warnings didn't work to encourage the dog owner to do something about the dog.

Finally, the man was told, either get rid of the dog, the house or pay stiff fines until something was done. He did something, I don't know what, but the barking stopped. He still had the dog, so I know no harm came to it and he didn't give it up. I saw him walking it. I suspect he got a trainer who showed him how to make the dog stop barking all the time. I was finally able to get some sleep as were all the other people who lived nearby.

If the woman choose to ignore summons and complaints and didn't seem to be interested in any solutions. It's on her what happens next.

It's never the fault of the animal, it doesn't know any better; the human should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events