Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times

Advertisements

What this says to me, as a person who has dealt with noisy yapping dogs myself--how people really don't take these complaints seriously. They either (a) just don't believe that incessant barking could be that distressing or (b) they just flat-out don't care.

That, to me, is why this woman ignored the court proceedings--she truly didn't believe that a dog barking could be that serious of a matter. I bet she knows now.

Then again, I bet she doesn't. This is the other thing--we talk all the time about particular parents and their "snowflakes," how such parents stick up for their child's bratty behavior vs actually doing something about it, and being so defiant and indignant when you ask them to control their behavior. Well I've noticed many dogs owners are doing this, especially owners of smaller dogs. They don't train or, dare I say it, discipline their dogs. I once had an "ankle biter" that kept tearing at my pants when I said "no," they didn't stop, well I nothing less than planted my foot up his hind-end. Guess what--he never bit my pants leg again, and anything he did that I said "no" to, he now--imagine that--stopped, he actually OBEYED. Even so, he'd still come up to me and I'd pet him and he'd be tickled happy. I wasn't afraid to discipline.

When someone refuses to do such because they think it's "abuse" (please), or doesn't even have them trained by a dog trainer, they're simply letting their little dog rule the roost, and it's just nuts. It's a common thing, and it's fueled by something else that's wrong--people thinking their dogs are children. That is nothing less than sick and perverted to say such a thing. People say "well my dog is noisy, what about your kid?" How DARE you. A child is MUCH more important than some dang-blanged dog--or cat, or ferret etc, ANY pet. A child playing outside making a bit of noise--that's par for the course. A child has WAY more rights to play outside than a dog does, because they're a human being. You don't DARE put a dog on the level of a human being in importance. In fact, if a PARENT were to say such a thing (and they do sometimes), I think they deserve to have their children removed and adopted out to someone else just for SAYING such a thing.

It's a very common thing--such dog owners don't believe frequent barking is that bad, and/or they don't care, and they think their dog is practically one of their children. On top of that, even the law fails to give respect to how distressing dog barking is, and they do nothing. It all leads to these ridiculous situations, and I am delighted such a person has been owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
I've always wondered why dogs don't get sore throats from barking.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:51 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
When you're supposed to show up to court, you show up to court.

This isn't an issue over losing a house for a barking dog, it's an issue with somebody thinking that they can ignore legal proceedings filed against them.
Yep. and there would have been multiple notices along the way that she continued to ignore. It's obviously an extreme penalty but she was the one with the power to prevent it from getting this far, and that is her responsibility. It's well beyond the underlying issue of a barking dog by this point.

And just had to comment - an AOL link? Really? I had no idea AOL even still existed! lol!

Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by October_Pumpkin View Post
You're disgusting. Poisoning is a cruel death for an innocent animal.
Define innocent animal? is a rat innocent? is it's death cruel? what makes you think poison is painful and cruel? there are many poisons that are painless and quite quick. What makes you think that living chained up in a back yard alone in the elements is so ethical? perhaps a quick painless death would be merciful.
Let me tell you about my animals, I have a Jack Russel that is blind and lives like a princess in my house, but she is not allowed to bark outside for more than a few minutes, I have 2 cats one is adopted from the shelter, the other was abandoned and started sleeping on my deck, she has since moved into the house and is living the life of Riley, climbing on my chest Waking me up at 3am cuz she wants her head scratched.
Did I mention my city chickens? that get to live on till natural death long after they have stopped laying eggs
Oh yea I also have a tree frog that was left to die by its former owners in an apartment. Did I want a tree frog? Hell No. but now I buy bugs ( Seriously I buy F#$King bugs and dead baby mice to feed this frog)
We have actually named it (Hendricks, after Jimmi).

personally I would rather put a chunk of lead in the cranium of any one that would leave a dog tied up in a back yard all day, unfortunately they frown on that.
second, you need to call the police several times a day.
If that don;t work them maybe the poor dog needs to be liberated or put out of it's misery.
I've never seen a happy chained up dog, they are social animals they are better off dead them chained up alone.

bill

Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Seattle woman may lose her home over barking dog - AOL.com

What do you all think? I've lived next to dogs that could drive me insane. What would you do if you lived next door to a dog that barked non stop? It's one of my biggest fears in owning a home. I plan to scout out the new home for extended periods during all days of the week and at all hours to see what goes on in the hood.

So what? She did not show up in court and cannot control nor obviously train her dog.
If she had done what she should have she would not have these issues.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
First she should have shown up in court; she didn't even have to present a case. Just make the other prove theirs ;so no summary judgment. Then she has likely a automatic appeal at this court level. Then she needs to look for complainants against her with authorites that enforce and present that if she goes to court. Then; of course; there is the need to collect on judgment and most states do not allow the home to be taken same as when bankrupt. But it can also be used to file that and that eliminates the debt of judgment. Remember your hearing this from a person who did have the sense to show in court in first places to make the other present case on a difficult thing to prove.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad
Had she showed up in court, the suit likely would have been dismissed, or she would have been fined a nominal amount. Not showing up is an automatic loss for the full amount.
Yes and shows she doesnt care her dog is bothering the neighbours!! (Totally uncool)

Old 02-12-2015, 09:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
1 lb of Hamburger plus 1 package of rat poison, nuff said!

bill
Not only is this cruel, it's stupid and ignorant. Anyone doing this and getting caught can be jailed and fined and deserves that and more.

Besides what would it accomplish? The people would probably just get another dog. And the new dog would probably be a barker too because the owners wouldn't know how to keep that one quiet.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:29 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Dog owners are urban terrorists.
Everyone suffers. Whether its the constant barking of one or two of them, or the feces all over the sidewalks, parks and our/your property, they effect everyones quality of life. And yes, "responsible dog owner", even though you are carrying that little spoon and bag, everyone sees you not using it unless you know someone is looking.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
1 lb of Hamburger plus 1 package of rat poison, nuff said!

bill

Dude, it's a f***n' dog! Guess what? Dogs bark! My next door neighbor had a rather large dog, half shepherd, half dane and while he was well trained, and very friendly, he did his fair share of barking. It was mostly at other neighborhood dogs! So what? He died 2 days after Christmas, and quite frankly I miss hearing him bark! It was almost like he was our pet too! Killing someone elses pet over a minor annoyance such as barking is a bit extreme!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events