Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,467,164 times

Advertisements

Maybe Woody Allen can be the God Father
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,318,580 times
I don't understand the OP's original comment. There are so many children out there who will not be adopted because of their age and baggage. As long as the child is going into a home where he will be loved and not abused, then I'm for it.

This case as described before we got to see the video reminded me of the time Larry, Darryl, and Darryl from The Bob Newhart Show decided to adopt. That show was a comedy and the situation was humorous, but it showed that kid was happy to have someone to call family. I hope things go well for this new family also.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:27 AM

33 posts, read 36,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Virginia ABC 5 o'clock news has a segment called "Wednesday's Child" in which they spotlight foster children and success stories of adoption.

Today's segment was presented as any other segment, but this was a remarkably untraditional arrangement, I observed two gay men happily married, very nice home, blushingly introduce their new 16-year-old son, much taller than them, and very attractive.

I'm fairly confident that this will be a healthy parent/child arrangement but it seems a line between selecting a child in need of a home and selecting an attractive young man was blurred a bit.

The boy was relieved and down to earth and emotionally mature as he described his feelings of finally being adopted into a stable, permanent home.

The simple truth is, looks matter. If a couple decides they want to adopt a young child and they go to an orphanage or foster home, are they going to choose the child that is most in need, or are they going to choose the cutest kid? The reality is, adoption is rarely a completely selfless act. If it were, everyone would always be choosing the neediest child. But most potential adoptive parents specifically want a healthy child the same race as them. Give them a choice between two kids with all other things being equal and one kid is cute and the other is plain, and they will pick the cute one 99 times out of 100.

Same basic idea here. This gay couple probably decided they wanted to adopt a teenager before they met this particular young man. Who knows why they wanted a teen? Maybe they wanted the experience of parenthood but weren't yet sure they could handle a baby or younger child. But anyway, so they probably decided beforehand they wanted a teen or older child. So then they look at the available children to adopt and stumble upon "the cute one," this 16 year old boy. And naturally, being human, they take the cute one.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,316,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renorei View Post
Same basic idea here. This gay couple probably decided they wanted to adopt a teenager before they met this particular young man. Who knows why they wanted a teen? Maybe they wanted the experience of parenthood but weren't yet sure they could handle a baby or younger child. But anyway, so they probably decided beforehand they wanted a teen or older child. So then they look at the available children to adopt and stumble upon "the cute one," this 16 year old boy. And naturally, being human, they take the cute one.
So obviously you didn't listen to the story in the link provided.

The couple saw the "Wednesday's Child" segment on NBC and decided they needed to do something for the boy (who is 14, not 16).

They had discussed adoption before, but not specifically any age.

I don't think the looks of the teen had anything to do with it, but his story.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,259,029 times
Quote:
Virginia ABC 5 o'clock news has a segment called "Wednesday's Child" in which they spotlight foster children and success stories of adoption.

Today's segment was presented as any other segment, but this was a remarkably untraditional arrangement, I observed two gay men happily married, very nice home, blushingly introduce their new 16-year-old son, much taller than them, and very attractive.

I'm fairly confident that this will be a healthy parent/child arrangement but it seems a line between selecting a child in need of a home and selecting an attractive young man was blurred a bit.

The boy was relieved and down to earth and emotionally mature as he described his feelings of finally being adopted into a stable, permanent home.
Of curse he was relieved. In two years he'd have aged out of foster care and forced to go it alone because not enough people are willing to adopt kids who aren't cute, healthy, snugly babies. He is now part of a stable, loving family with parents who will be there for him. Just like the straights who adopt older kids.

The men were attractive? Good for them. No law says only ugly people can adopt.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,506,801 times
Quote:
please everyone, I am not implying that I think there would be any misbehavior in this family relationship. adoptive families are interviewed to ensure the best care for the adopted children. I only mean that on some subconscious level these men adopted this boy preferring him over, say, a newborn baby girl.

An earlier commenter requested a link to the story, but there is no link, as I saw this on the news on Television.

some of the commenters wondered if the boy might be homosexual too. But from what I saw he seems very heterosexual, not that I can be a judge of that, but you know. anyway, the boy seemed a bit weather worn from bouncing through the foster care system it seems that romance of any sort couldn't have been further from his mind, as he was just relieved to be adopted finally.
No, you are not a psychologist so you don't get to psychoanalyze them on any level subconscious level or otherwise.

From what you saw? What the heck did you see? How can you tell by a picture that he is either homosexual or heterosexual? You cannot expertly judge someone by a picture. What does "very heterosexual" look like? Rock Hudson? He looked pretty darn heterosexual. How about Neil Patrick Harris? He's not a heterosexual doctor, he just played one.

You are reading an awful lot into this story. You are just not seeing what your interpretation is saying to the people reading your comments on this thread. And what it says about you. Like a wise man once said, "You can't see the forest for the trees." So stop trying to make excuses and admit what you are really questioning here.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,593,055 times
Quote:
attractiveness was simply an observation. All I have to say is what I originally said, I did not read into it any further than the words I originally stated. I just felt like talking about it, because so often people don't say what's on their mind to be politically correct.
And here is where you just indicted yourself. Good job!

Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,969,455 times
This sounds like the plot of a bad comedy, or possibly a different genre that 16 year-olds aren't allowed to watch.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,308,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And here is where you just indicted yourself. Good job!
everyone, enough with this ad hominem nonsense. Please discuss the topic at hand or be quiet.

Last edited by Zelpha; 03-06-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,251,364 times
Quote:
everyone, please stop with this ad hominem nonsense. Please discuss the topic at hand or be quiet please.
The topic should be thanking this, and every, couple that adopt. Especially when they adopt older kids and other kids that are not as likely to be adopted as newborn perfectly healthy infants.

Because of this couple this teen now has a family and a support system behind him when he goes out into the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events