Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM

157 posts, read 96,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
I already posted the link when I stated this information originally. I'm sure you can find it.
Could you please post it again or tell us the post number in which you included it?

I'd love to read it since it contradicts what she told the court under oath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM

468 posts, read 582,957 times
Default Not QUITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You seem to be mistaken. She was not "persecuted for her beliefs" she was prosecuted for breaking the law.

As you pointed out the law, is there stipulating no discrimination allowed if one is operating a service business. Got that. BUT THE JUDGE SIDESWEPT HER RELIGIOUS RIGHTS.....claiming falsely that State Business law trumps her 1st Amendment.

Everywhere in the US/DC judges, legislatures and politicians are ignoring the US Constitution openly writing laws that are in direct contrast to the Constitution which makes the law illegal. Most people are not lawyers and do not know the difference so the "political machine" has been getting away with it for a long time. NOT anymore. People have woken up and are fighting back causing a huge backlash to politicians who refuse to adhere to the Constitution.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:02 PM

100 posts, read 81,658 times
If you're going to try to invoke laws, the constitution, our founding fathers, and amendments -- please have a minimal understanding of them. I'm sorry that you don't understand how the First Amendment works (previously addressed in the thread) Byron1022. The founders of the country, to prevent tyranny and the majority terrorizing the minority, founded this country on a constitution that prevented such. LGBTQ+ are a minority and will gain civil rights as such. What about that do you not understand?

More important, why are you so obsessed with who another person sleeps with or has a romantic relationship with that it bothers you to the extent that you would deny them service? That's a very strange fixation.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:05 PM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
So in Washington state the state forces you to give your labor or service. You have no choice. How totalitarian. No liberty there.

The judge was wrong on the ruling her Federally protected religious rights are trumped by state.

Doctors have quit because of the state demanding they perform abortions. NICE going state and whiners, keep tearing the country apart. Soon you will all choke on your stifling laws. 3000 Americans have given up their US citizenship. People used to flock to the US now they are fleeing. Nice going "liberals."
Yes. You are correct. Gay marriage was unilaterally imposed on the state despite failing at the polls on 3 separate occasions. After it was enacted, the pro-gay marriage coalition get a referendum on the ballot to keep gay marriage "legal" and inundated voters with propaganda about "banning gay marriage." The LGBTQQ++ coalition spent $1.7 million in advertising. The opposition spent $139,000. The propaganda worked and the unilateral legislation was not repealed by the voters. The ballot map shows that the dense population areas voted yes, the rest of the state, including where Arlene's Flowers does business, voted to repeal the unilaterally enacted law.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
That was the state case. The grounds for the appeal to the Supreme Court was solely related to Free Speech claims.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-con...No-13-5851.pdf
You are correct, I didn't know that she dropped that line of reasoning. But seeing as how she couldn't defend it, it would make sense to do so.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
So in Washington state the state forces you to give your labor or service. You have no choice. How totalitarian. No liberty there.

The judge was wrong on the ruling her Federally protected religious rights are trumped by state.

Doctors have quit because of the state demanding they perform abortions. NICE going state and whiners, keep tearing the country apart. Soon you will all choke on your stifling laws. 3000 Americans have given up their US citizenship. People used to flock to the US now they are fleeing. Nice going "liberals."
You do have a choice. You can choose to open a business or not. and most states include just about every business in public accommodation laws. It has been that way for decades.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I already posted the link when I stated this information originally. I'm sure you can find it.
So you can't back it up. Okay, that's all you had to say.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 PM

157 posts, read 96,698 times
Quote:
Yes. You are correct. Gay marriage was unilaterally imposed on the state despite failing at the polls on 3 separate occasions. After it was enacted, the pro-gay marriage coalition get a referendum on the ballot to keep gay marriage "legal" and inundated voters with propaganda about "banning gay marriage." The LGBTQQ++ coalition spent $1.7 million in advertising. The opposition spent $139,000. The propaganda worked and the unilateral legislation was not repealed by the voters. The ballot map shows that the dense population areas voted yes, the rest of the state, including where Arlene's Flowers does business, voted to repeal the unilaterally enacted law.
What does gay marriage being legal or not have to do with anti-discrimination in public accommodation laws?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
I wonder if she does "everything" according to the book? Can anyone really do that? Or is it I just choose the one I want to follow? In that case it's more like my beliefs rather than religious beliefs.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM

920 posts, read 633,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The SC has ruled in other cases that religious freedom does not negate other laws. I think that is sensible, because anyone can believe anything, making every law unenforceable.
Then what is the point of the 1st Amendment if the state can enact laws that force people to betray their religious beliefs?

The facts in this case are not about a made up religion with absurd beliefs. She is a mainstream Christian that has provided the court with her Church's comments regarding SS Marriage and she can provide the written text upon which her religion is based. A text that has been honored by this nation since its inception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events