Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
"Man feels most strongly about that which he understands least." (I forgot who said that first - somebody famous around the 1700's.)

That "checkpoint" is considered a border crossing. All the usual rules and citizens' protections apply. They've been around for decades. They have nothing to do with any administration that governed during your lifetime. If you just found out about them, you obviously don't live in a border state. (Almost all locals just get waived through without even stopping.)

Can't figure out how "terry stop" (sic) got into the conversation. If you haven't actually read Terry v. Ohio, it has to do with a Supreme Court decision regarding reasonable suspicion. Not probable cause. And neither one has anything to do with a border crossing.

And if you STILL don't like the police, that's okay. That thirty-some years I spent protecting you and your family from criminals, putting myself through paramedic school so I could save all those lives late at night, getting millions of dollars in restitution for crime victims from courts across the country and all those countless hours I spent on airliners protecting you from hijackers - for you, no charge.

You're welcome.
Terry Stop Law & Legal Definition

There's no reasonable suspicion or probable cause to stop a motorist.

Therefore its a violation of the 4th Amendment. Which it's been ruled upon in some states. In some states, they're still allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
"Man feels most strongly about that which he understands least." (I forgot who said that first - somebody famous around the 1700's.)

That "checkpoint" is considered a border crossing. All the usual rules and citizens' protections apply. They've been around for decades. They have nothing to do with any administration that governed during your lifetime. If you just found out about them, you obviously don't live in a border state. (Almost all locals just get waived through without even stopping.)

Can't figure out how "terry stop" (sic) got into the conversation. If you haven't actually read Terry v. Ohio, it has to do with a Supreme Court decision regarding reasonable suspicion. Not probable cause. And neither one has anything to do with a border crossing.

And if you STILL don't like the police, that's okay. That thirty-some years I spent protecting you and your family from criminals, putting myself through paramedic school so I could save all those lives late at night, getting millions of dollars in restitution for crime victims from courts across the country and all those countless hours I spent on airliners protecting you from hijackers - for you, no charge.

You're welcome.
No charge? So, if your salary doesn't come from tax dollars, where does it come from?

Old 03-30-2015, 12:48 AM

The military doesn't complain.

Neither does private security.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's the meat of this? I'm not going to watch an hour long video to find out.
Watch 37:22 to 48:50 its the funniest part of the video and sums it perfectly what the video is about.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Most European countries don't have check points even at the borders.
But in most( all?) the police will routinely set up check points at will.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhPH4aD3Yw = Checkpoint Refusal Documentary.

...After seeing this, I may be planning leaving the US altogether....

Goodbye.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,519 times
Don't have time to watch and don't get Youtube at work anyway, but thought I'd drive by and drop this off. It concerns internal checkpoints:

Detained for 19 Days: Immigration Checkpoint Refusal Gone Wrong - Reason.com

Last edited by Nepenthe; 03-30-2015 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Now.. practical point
DUI checkpoints have been reviewed and deemed legal when administered under constitutional guidelines
Location is broadcast
Stops must be random
Checkpoint must be clearly marked
Anyone has the right to drive away from the checkpoint with an approved bypass route

We run one every month and it is rare not to arrest several offenders... not including warrants ..suspended uninsured drivers... and a host of other crimes... by people who potentially hurt or kill the rest of us.

A DUI is nothing but a murder waiting to happen

DUI cars are better utilized on roving patrol... and are more effective than static checkpoints when the above restrictions are in place. DUI checkpoints come from federal grant money...

Perhaps you might consider another example of government over reach... this example saves lives
I don't see what the big deal is with DUI check points.. I have been stopped at a few in my lifetime. Since I do not drink and drive it is not a problem. Stop, Roll window down and say good evening officer, Officer identifies himself and tells you what they are doing, maybe a question or 2 and he says thank you and you are on your way. I am talking about personal experience every time I have been stopped at a DUI check point.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I don't see what the big deal is with DUI check points.. I have been stopped at a few in my lifetime. Since I do not drink and drive it is not a problem. Stop, Roll window down and say good evening officer, Officer identifies himself and tells you what they are doing, maybe a question or 2 and he says thank you and you are on your way. I am talking about personal experience every time I have been stopped at a DUI check point.
A major issue is that they are not effective at catching habitual drunk drivers. Who are typically the main problem. They catch a lot of people on minor offenses and others on unrelated offenses (unrelated to DUI).

People get their cars impounded, cash and property taken for minor violations when the whole premise of the stop was Unconstitutional anyway.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 AM

506 posts, read 426,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
A major issue is that they are not effective at catching habitual drunk drivers. Who are typically the main problem. They catch a lot of people on minor offenses and others on unrelated offenses (unrelated to DUI).

People get their cars impounded, cash and property taken for minor violations when the whole premise of the stop was Unconstitutional anyway.
You're right, DUI checkpoints are nothing more than a money making scheme combined with a way for the police to pretend they're actually doing something, which they accomplish by making up charges against people nice enough to stop and play their little game with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events