Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:20 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You do realize that those "few false allegations" can destroy a man's life forever right? Or is this a gender-war stance?

Truth is, things like this go on at campuses all over the country. Students see sex out in the open often enough that they aren't even phased by it. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the witnesses to this alleged assault likely thought it was consensual.
Where did you go to college? Students do not see sex out in the open often, or at all.

And the cops didn't think it was consensual. It was extreme, they said, and obviously rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
Anyone would be fazed by seeing sex "out in the open."
Cops who saw the video were disgusted by it. There wasn't any mistaking it for "consensual" in this case.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,562 times
No.... But I suggest not looking for trouble not putting yourself in harms way.. I as a white male wouldnt walk down the wrong streets and yell the wrong thing.. But I am not some dumb drunk moron..Would I be upset if it had happened to my daughter? Yes ! Should she have conducted herself better? Yes to that as well. Ya Cant fix stupid and I bet it wasnt the first stupid thing she ever did and wont be the last.. Its doesnt lessen the crime but what she did was STUPID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
BS. SO MUCH BS.

Because it must somehow be her fault. She asked for it, she lied about it, she got drunk, she was dressed like a *****, she shouldnt have gone to spring break. Those poor guys just couldnt control themselves.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
No.... But I suggest not looking for trouble not putting yourself in harms way.. I as a white male wouldnt walk down the wrong streets and yell the wrong thing.. But I am not some dumb drunk moron..Would I be upset if it had happened to my daughter? Yes ! Should she have conducted herself better? Yes to that as well. Ya Cant fix stupid and I bet it wasnt the first stupid thing she ever did and wont be the last.. Its doesnt lessen the crime but what she did was STUPID!
Women shouldn't have to live in fear of rape. Changing behaviour because of these scumbags is letting these terrorists win. It's the logic that led to Burkhas in the Middle East and it shouldn't be entertained in a civilized society.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Not one word about what the perps did, no, your ire is reserved for the WOMAN?

She was on spring break. One she will never forget, because she was stupid- she wore a bikini, she wore a red dress, she dressed provocatively, she ......

Well, as we see, women don't have a monopoly on stupid.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:16 PM

192 posts, read 249,682 times
This story was disgusting to read about. However, I think there's a difference between 'taking responsibility for one's actions' and 'victim-blaming.' No woman should have to worry about getting raped in front of a crowd of people on the beach. In fact, it would be nice if we didn't have to worry about violent crime AT ALL. However, saying that women shouldn't have to worry about getting their drinks spiked or walking outside late at night in a rough area (as an example) is an impractical stretch. Teaching men to not rape (as if we don't do that already?) is not going to eliminate rape! Personally, I think educating men about what's consent and what's not will have the biggest effects on college campuses and amongst young adults where guys seem to be complete ******* dunces about consent. But rape in general? Sorry, but I doubt that's going away...and I'm a woman. You can't moralize away all crime. Sure, it would be great to be able to go to a bar and leave your drink on your table while you run to the bathroom, but there are no guarantees that teaching "young men to not rape" is going to prevent every sociopathic/opportunistic ******* on the planet from doing it anyway. And that's the problem that I have with this current wave of "no victim-blaming" rhetoric--some women seem to think that if only we taught people better, we'd moralize away most sexual crimes, and I'm not convinced that's true.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 PM

192 posts, read 249,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Women shouldn't have to live in fear of rape. Changing behavior because of these scumbags is letting these terrorists win. It's the logic that led to Burkhas in the Middle East and it shouldn't be entertained in a civilized society.
People shouldn't have to live in fear of ANY crime. Obviously, some crimes are more traumatic than others and shouldn't be treated so nonchalantly, but people seem to forget how many crimes are committed by people who act opportunistically and may be beyond this hand-wringing, moralistic teaching some of you love to do. I was just reading a story about a woman who was raped on a walk home late at night by some gang member/local criminal who attacked her out of the blue. I don't know if the guy had any priors or not but he wasn't some bright-eyed college student spiking a woman's drink--he was the stereotypical rapist-lurking-in-the-bushes type of guy. What are you going to say to a guy like that? "Hey, man what the hell is wrong with you? Don't you know you shouldn't rape?" Like...you think he doesn't know that? You think he gives a ****? You think that simply teaching boys to respect women is going to prevent some of them from growing up and becoming sociopathic, opportunistic *******s? If so, I'd love a sip of whatever Koolaid you're drinking.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:50 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
People shouldn't have to live in fear of ANY crime. Obviously, some crimes are more traumatic than others and shouldn't be treated so nonchalantly, but people seem to forget how many crimes are committed by people who act opportunistically and may be beyond this hand-wringing, moralistic teaching some of you love to do. I was just reading a story about a woman who was raped on a walk home late at night by some gang member/local criminal who attacked her out of the blue. I don't know if the guy had any priors or not but he wasn't some bright-eyed college student spiking a woman's drink--he was the stereotypical rapist-lurking-in-the-bushes type of guy. What are you going to say to a guy like that? "Hey, man what the hell is wrong with you? Don't you know you shouldn't rape?" Like...you think he doesn't know that? You think he gives a ****? You think that simply teaching boys to respect women is going to prevent some of them from growing up and becoming sociopathic, opportunistic *******s? If so, I'd love a sip of whatever Koolaid you're drinking.
Yeah, I definitely believe that most of the guys committing rape are NOT some guy that misread someone's signals. He just didn't care. In fact, they LIKE for you to be afraid. Its a power crime, it has nothing to do with sex, inasmuch as the still-dying myth that a rapist is merely a man denied something that was initially offered. Unless you count walking down the street or going on spring break as an offering.

I think rape and pedophilia are just some of those things that you can't change. If that is how you are wired, you are not gonna be able to be a decent citizen just by merely being given some feminist pamphlets and a big hug. The rest of us may be able to change our acceptance of myths about rape, but those guys could care less about all our proselytizing. The sentences for rape should be nearer to those of murder, especially when they involve any sort of extenuating circumstance like kidnap, torture, or being filmed by 200 onlookers.

ALSO? I would like to think that I would have done something. I have ALWAYS stuck my nose in other people's business when it came to bodily harm. It may not be the smartest thing but I am never going to just stand by and let some atrocity happen.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:13 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
"Women shouldn't have to live in fear of rape. Changing behavior because of these scumbags is letting these terrorists win."

Although I agree with you - that's the way it is these days. Question: Do you lock your doors at night? We shouldn't have to live in fear of someone coming into our homes and yet most of us lock our doors as a precaution. We have changed our behavior due to the scumbags in the last 100 years, when no one use to lock their doors because people in society have changed.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You do realize that those "few false allegations" can destroy a man's life forever right? Or is this a gender-war stance?

Truth is, things like this go on at campuses all over the country. Students see sex out in the open often enough that they aren't even phased by it. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the witnesses to this alleged assault likely thought it was consensual. Just another drunk sorority girl getting her thing on. You see, most people think of rape as something violent and feel it's something that would be obvious if witnessed. If this girl was slipped a drug and raped then they should hang the rapists from the highest tree. But if it turns out she got a little too wasted, willingly engaged in sex, and then woke up with regret once she realized everyone saw it and it is now a matter of record, there is a possibility that out of shame or trying to salvage her reputation that she reports it as a rape. This actually happens quite frequently, and the false allegations aren't always reported either.

No one here has seen the full, uncensored video clip, so no one is in a position to make a definitive statement. Of course that doesn't stop some folks from getting emotionally charged up and choosing sides before all the facts are known. Doesn't stop them from lashing out with insults and hateful comments because they want to be right and they need to be right.
Oh no!!!! So some rapist will have his life destroyed by his actions??? Again, for the third time, the girl was passed out when she was being raped. You are excusing the actions of the rapists and blaming the girl. The true sign of a someone with a distorted view of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events