Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 PM

506 posts, read 426,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Here's a question for everyone.

Do you believe in the mob mentality of gang rapes? IOW, do you believe it when men say that otherwise good people get caught up in/pressured into this sort of crime, especially when the rapists in question are young men? I've heard that excuse quite a bit and I'm curious as to what others think.

I think its pretty much bull****. If you were a good person, you'd hightail it out of there and get the police or you'd stop the others from hurting the woman. Surely, men aren't this impressionable.
Mob mentality is certainly a thing, it is what leads all of these morons to go to the same spring break destinations, and what leads them all to stand by cheering as a rape takes place, in addition to the very encouragement for the rape to take place. Good people as you call them, are not going to be hanging out with a bunch of morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Here's a question for everyone.

Do you believe in the mob mentality of gang rapes? IOW, do you believe it when men say that otherwise good people get caught up in/pressured into this sort of crime, especially when the rapists in question are young men? I've heard that excuse quite a bit and I'm curious as to what others think.

I think its pretty much bull****. If you were a good person, you'd hightail it out of there and get the police or you'd stop the others from hurting the woman. Surely, men aren't this impressionable.
They actually did report it at the Keith Urban concert.

Keith Urban show rape charge dismissed - CNN.com

P.S. Surely women are capable of operating a cell phone and calling police as well or was the beach full of hundreds of men and just that one woman?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:31 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just because you don't personally know any better doesn't make it reality.

I know someone whose son came close to death last year from a "stranger danger" situation where they were incapacitated. You statements are offensive on many levels.

Color me confused. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I read the initial post thst was shared, nothing indicates she was forced against her will. There aren't enough facts of the case made public for you or anyone to make that determination. As usual you speak without having a clue. You probably sided with the the girl who made the Duke accusations and probably bought off on the Rolling Stone article about Virgina.
Once again for posterity: The victim was 19 years old and incapacitated during the attack, sheriff’s spokeswoman Ruth Corley told the Los Angeles Times. “Investigators believe she was drugged,†she said. “Possibly Molly or roofies.â€

You seem to be siding with the rapists and that makes me disgusted with you. If this was your daughter I hope you would think more clearly. Maybe not...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And that's the sad double standard about this kind of situation. Women are told from childhood, "don't go there," "don't wear that," "don't drink too much," "don't be by yourself," etc. How many young men get the same kind of admonitions? When this happens, we can't just shrug it off as "boys will be boys."
You are very correct. It's a BS double standard. No question. Again, I'm the father of two young girls. Why should I warn them about these people?

BECAUSE THEY DON"T HAVE PARENTS WHO WILL INSTRUCT THEM. Clearly, this is a case of people who either don't know better, or do, and decide to make the wrong choices either way.

I have to be more vigilent, if I'm a young woman, than any male will ever have to be. It's disgusting, but males who don't have a strong disciplinarian in their lives.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Although I don't think it's a good idea for a woman to be in an environment like this where she can be drugged like she was, it still doesn't give anyone the right to physically harm her.

What I can't wrap my head around though is how all these people watched this happened and did nothing. I mean this is one of the sickest things you can do to another human being and for no one to be bothered enough to actually attempt to stop it is almost as sickening as the act itself.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:47 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
was she a willing participant who later regretted her actions and cried rape? Things like this happen as often as rape.
They actually don't happen as often. False rape reports are made just about as often as false theft reports or false kidnapping reports, which is a single digit percentage of all reported crimes. It's much, much more likely that a sexual assault will not be reported to authorities at all, because the victim feels confused, embarrassed, or ashamed of what happened. Which means the guys who do this sort of thing are often roaming the streets, free to do it again without consequence.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-14-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
You are very correct. It's a BS double standard. No question. Again, I'm the father of two young girls. Why should I warn them about these people?

BECAUSE THEY DON"T HAVE PARENTS WHO WILL INSTRUCT THEM. Clearly, this is a case of people who either don't know better, or do, and decide to make the wrong choices either way.

I have to be more vigilent, if I'm a young woman, than any male will ever have to be. It's disgusting, but males who don't have a strong disciplinarian in their lives.
I have two girls as well and these are the type of stories that scare me as they get older. One thing I know as a man is, you will have some guys who just have bad intentions. The best thing they can do is to be vigilant like you said and never take anything for granted. Never take anything for granted in an environment like that.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That idiot probably thinks he is clever. Disgusting.
That, and someone(s) created this shirt and people are paying money for it.

I'm curious if anyone called him out on it. Then again, everyone was probably too wasted or high to even care or notice. Also part of the problem.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I have two girls as well and these are the type of stories that scare me as they get older. One thing I know as a man is, you will have some guys who just have bad intentions. The best thing they can do is to be vigilant like you said and never take anything for granted. Never take anything for granted in an environment like that.
I have both sons and daughters and I tell them the same identical thing...be vigilant and do NOT ever think anyone has your best interests in mind when there are groups of people drinking and getting high. If you are not vigilant the consequences could be horrendous and life altering.

It is a very sad thing indeed that our 'humanity' has become less than human and caring of one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events