Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
An unpleasant one-time occurrence can definitely alter the way a person views certain races or ethnic groups. I once had an issue with a white cop who was extremely and unjustly rude to me (I'm Hispanic). Clearly he was a racist. This was years ago, but as a result of that experience, I do not look at white cops the same way anymore. Now, I always wonder if a white cop will turn out to be a racist.
"An unpleasant one-time occurrence can definitely alter the way a person views certain races or ethnic groups"
Absolutely. My cousin had a run in with a redneck cop and had a similar experience. The cop was acting like he was an illegal alien even though he has absolutely no accent and can't even speak Spanish. Makes you look at cops in a different light.

Couple of black guys bust into your house with guns and you don't think it's going to affect a small child in that way. Same response could be expected from a little black girl if the perps were white thugs. Difference being the news media, TV, You Tube and music videos aready push the idea of black thuggery. The Judge could should have indicted society as a whole for the little girl being afraid.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-14-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 05:53 PM

241 posts, read 221,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
There was a time when whites protected whites.
"There was a time when whites protected whites."

So white racism and social injustice at the hands of whites no longer occur in this country...?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you KIDDING me?

Now that the criminals are set loose, that family will have even MORE reason to fear anyone who even remotely resembles them. Excellent work, Your Honor!

My god. That judge must've had a real big bowl of stupid for breakfast that day.
Judge helping perpetuate the myth that Blacks are a threat to White families. Good job Judge on race relations

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-14-2015 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Oh, common, just one bad judge . . . you know, like that just one bad cop . . . .

Mick
Good point, but it is one bad judge among a few bad ones across the nation of various colors, just as there are some bad cops of various colors. What he did is outrageous, but I don't see it as being part of a growing dangerous trend.

(tangent) - Though I do think the militarization and heavy-handed tactics of the police nationwide is such a trend.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Cool Applause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Another judge that needs a new job.

Outrage! Judge hammers white victims of armed home invasion for racism, lets criminal go free - BizPac Review

"Outrage is growing over a Kentucky judge who let a home invader who robbed a family at gunpoint off with probation after openly criticizing the victims for letting their child be afraid of black men because of the crime.

Judge Olu Stevens of the Jefferson Circuit Court appeared even more offended by the victim impact statements offered by the family who was robbed than he was by the fact that a crime had been committed at all."
Good for Olu Stevens for doing the right thing.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
This is a fascinating story. Too bad not one mainstream national or international news service has covered it.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=nws&tbs=qdr:m

Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Good for Olu Stevens for doing the right thing.
Olu did the wrong thing. He should have put the parents on probation, sent the child to diversity classes, and apologized to the armed home invader for disrupting his life

Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 AM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The title of this thread is misleading. He didn't "free" the home invader.
While I agree that the sentence should have been MUCH more severe, the victims of the crime could have issued a much better statement than "this has affected our relationships with blacks."
My house was broken into by two white males last year, a month after Christmas. They stole my children's new TV and game console. Neither one of them ended up being scared of "whites." It's the parents' responsibility to teach children that there is good and evil within all races/cultures.
Probation is appropriate for victimless crimes, or crimes not involving violence. This was the epitome of violent crime.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
There was a time when whites protected whites. It was wrong do to that. We now live in a time when blacks protect blacks. It isn't racist to recognize and acknowledge the wrong of that too. Pretending this doesn't happen is ignorant blindness. The blind eagerly throw out the Race Card at those who can clearly see.
Clearly the judge forgets that true justice is blind.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:48 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Probation is appropriate for victimless crimes, or crimes not involving violence. This was the epitome of violent crime.
I agree. Our "justice" system doesn't, however. As I mentioned earlier, a quick search in DOC databases will display hundreds of individuals who received probation as opposed to jail/prison time for similar crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events