Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

People who pass flu off as a minor illness have never had it.
I've had the flu and while the experience was not fun, it did not make me want to get a flu shot. Weird.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
No problem with this at all. We're seeing the returns of diseases that were largely eradicated and a big reason for it is this anti-vaccination idiocy.
No, actually the resurgence in diseases that were eradicated from the first world countries long ago is due to the large numbers of unvaccinated illegal and non-illegal immigrants that are flooding in to this country and bringing their 3rd world country diseases with them.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
^ parents who refuse vaccinations should have their kids taken away from them
Go move to a totalitarian country, please. I hear China is full of people who think like you do, total obedience to the state.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've had the flu and while the experience was not fun, it did not make me want to get a flu shot. Weird.
I've seen so many people get the flu after they got a flu shot that I still refuse to ever get a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu in probably 10 years.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe not polio parties, but they certainly had measles, mumps, and chicken pox parties when I was a kid in the 1950's because they wanted kids to get them as young as possible. I wanted to go to them, but they said I was CHEATING because I had them as an infant. Cannot catch them AGAIN, ya know. Happy Boosters too you.

Edit: Never heard of a party for the PLAGUE either is which is just as deadly as MEASLES, or the even more horrific Chicken Pox.

Associating Measles with Polio gives you no credibility of someone in my age group. BTW, while I was giving that polio vax on a sugar cube, my parents never got it because: #1. Adults don't go to school. #2. Adults back in those days only went to a doctor when they were SICK, unlike today. Don't see a doctor, don't get vaccinations.
My husband and I grew up in the same era as you, 1000 miles apart. Neither of us was ever invited to such a party, even for chickenpox, or knew of anyone who had them, or went to one. I sometimes wonder if they're an urban legend. The first I ever heard of such parties was in college, where we were taught that people sometimes had "rubella parties" for girls, so they'd get rubella before pregnancy. But again, I don't know anyone who ever had one or went to one.

Plague is actually treatable with anti-biotics. We have a few cases a year here in CO. Not that I'd want to get it mind you.

When the Sabin Sundays were held, everyone got the polio vaccine, kids and adults. I distinctly remember my parents taking it along with us kids. Here are some pictures.
Witness to history: Photographer’s polio vaccination pictures take us back in time | Robert Sterling: Notes on News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe you didn't really have the flu. Believe me, I have given many a flu shot to people who said they never got the shots until they actually had a case of "real flu".
Influenza: You Get the Flu Way Less Than You Think

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
No, actually the resurgence in diseases that were eradicated from the first world countries long ago is due to the large numbers of unvaccinated illegal and non-illegal immigrants that are flooding in to this country and bringing their 3rd world country diseases with them.
Mexican and Central American kids are generally vaccinated as well as American kids, on average, which means better than American kids in areas of low vaccination rates.
WHO | Data, statistics and graphics

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe you didn't really have the flu. Believe me, I have given many a flu shot to people who said they never got the shots until they actually had a case of "real flu".
Influenza: You Get the Flu Way Less Than You Think
I most certainly have had the flu. Your link says that most people get it twice every decade. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't gotten it nearly that often, despite not getting vaccinated.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,201 times
More police state in california, thank god i don't live in that state.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post

Nice try, but this has no basis in reality. Much of those "illegal immigrants" are vaccinated at higher levels than people here in the U.S. The people in Central and South America actually trust medical science and aren't running around with flimsy conspiracy theories of the Illuminati trying to make their kids autistic.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
More police state in california, thank god i don't live in that state.

This policy has already been long standing in quite a few other states, as California goes, other states will be watching closely and its likely that this will be popping up in your state as well, as it should. Don't want to vaccinate your kids, by all means, feel free to home school them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events