Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 02:42 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is what I said. However, current evidence supports the idea that the vaccine will be protective.
Yeah, all that just to end with, "we don't know".

Quote:
The part that I quoted is within quotation marks. Using the quote function would make it look as if I were quoting another poster. If you read carefully, it is not difficult to discern what is a quote from a link and what I write, though I am flattered you could mistake the quoted part for something I wrote myself.

Yes, it is copied and pasted. That is the standard way to present cited information here. I am not the only one who does it.
Yeah, I did figure out which portion was yours and which portion was not, it would be easier if you'd use the quote function though for the reader. It was a long quote considering we are only supposed to be allowed to quote snippets (a few sentences) per the TOS. :shrug: Sometimes I wonder if people purposely don't use the quote function to get by that rule.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've looked at the studies before. The truth is that they have no idea if the vaccine will prevent shingles later in life due to the fact that the varicella vaccine has not been around long enough us to see the long term implications.

By the way, I wish you would use the quote function when adding in text that is not your own. It makes it difficult to decipher which portion of your post was yours and which portion you just copied and pasted from another source.
In my entire 66 years, I have only known 3 people who have gotten shingles. My husband at 65 despite the Shingles vax, my SIL at 33 years old, and my daughter's friend at 35 years old. NONE of my relatives ever had it.

What do they all have in common? They all get ALL vaccinations recommended. Hey, look at their AGES!!!! My husband was the only old person in the group. Maybe they need to give Shingles shots to EVERYONE who has ever had chicken pox regardless of how old they are. Big Pharms would LOVE that. Gotta increase the adult vaccinations for more $$$$$$.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
In my entire 66 years, I have only known 3 people who have gotten shingles. My husband at 65 despite the Shingles vax, my SIL at 33 years old, and my daughter's friend at 35 years old. NONE of my relatives ever had it.

What do they all have in common? They all get ALL vaccinations recommended. Hey, look at their AGES!!!! My husband was the only old person in the group. Maybe they need to give Shingles shots to EVERYONE who has ever had chicken pox regardless of how old they are. Big Pharms would LOVE that. Gotta increase the adult vaccinations for more $$$$$$.
I'm about the same age as you, and I've known numerous people who have had shingles, including me! Truth is, 50% of people over 85 have had shingles.
Connecting the Dots: Chicken Pox, Varicella Vaccine and Shingles | Shot of Prevention
About 1/3 of people will get shingles in their lifetime.
Shingles | Surveillance, Trends, Deaths | Herpes Zoster | CDC

Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
I guess we are better off getting tetanus...

Old 04-28-2015, 05:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I guess we are better off getting tetanus...
You know, I have no clue why the AVers are against tetanus vaccination all of a sudden (so it seems to me anyway). The person I saw ranting about this on Frontline doesn't know what she's talking about, has a PhD in English! She seems to think they only way to get tetanus is to step on a nail, therefore why should babies get vaccinated. Well, the truth is, tetanus is everywhere in the great outdoors, in dirt. ANY wound, especially a dirty wound, can give you tetanus. That can happen at any age, especially once a child is the least bit moblie, e.g. crawling. It can also happen to a child if s/he gets his/her ears pierced with unclean instruments. Some people do get their babies' ears pierced. (I recall having to sign a form that I was aware of the dangers of ear-piercing and the need for tetanus vaccine when my kids got theirs done about age 10.) It takes 3 doses over 4 months (2,4,6) to get fully immunized against tetanus. Tetanus has a 10%-20% chance of DEATH. In addition, tetanus is only available bundled with other vaccines, that it, diphtheria and pertussis. Why rant against it?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:09 PM

FTR, I'm not against all vaccines. I'm just for choice. Parents should be able to choose all, some or none.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..so call me an anti-vaxxer instead of answering the question.

You are comparing the fatality rate of diphtheria before treatment was invented to that of chicken pox.
Those 2 cannot be compared.
No, I compared avoiding the chickenpox vaccine with idiocy. The comment about diphtheria was in a separate paragraph. English is my native language.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No, I compared avoiding the chickenpox vaccine with idiocy. The comment about diphtheria was in a separate paragraph. English is my native language.
You thought it was idiotic to avoid the chicken pox vaccine due to shingles which seems odd considering that there is no evidence that the chicken pox vaccine protects anyone against getting shingles.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You thought it was idiotic to avoid the chicken pox vaccine due to shingles which seems odd considering that there is no evidence that the chicken pox vaccine protects anyone against getting shingles.

That is not true. There is already evidence, referenced in a previous post, that people who have received the vaccine are experiencing fewer cases of shingles.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm about the same age as you, and I've known numerous people who have had shingles, including me! Truth is, 50% of people over 85 have had shingles.
Connecting the Dots: Chicken Pox, Varicella Vaccine and Shingles | Shot of Prevention
About 1/3 of people will get shingles in their lifetime.
Shingles | Surveillance, Trends, Deaths | Herpes Zoster | CDC
That means 2/3 of people DON'T get shingles. Which is the great number? Ever consider that is why I have only known THREE people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events