Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 01:15 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times

Advertisements

[quote=MissTerri;39404422]I think Jo and her husband knew that they were refusing a vaccine due to the fact that their risk of contracting Hep B was extremely low. There is nothing stupid about their decision.

[/QUOTE

Maybe the hospital was afraid THEY would be sued if he got infected AT the hospital? He said to the doctor, "Do I look like an IV Drug User to you?". "Do you think I am going to be running out of here (after heart attack) to find a hooker?" Nurses laughed at that, but the doctor didn't.

Me? I am retired. While I had to take OSHA'S Blood Borne Pathogens courses every year working in schools, I choose to use Universal Precautions they TELL YOU TO. That vaccine is overkill for working with little special needs children. I never saw school staff sign any informed consent cards. Two lines. I guess we better FORCE them to get that one too.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Shingles later in life is a risk that anyone who has had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine will face. There is no decrease in risk because you decided to get the vaccine vs the infection.
But there is decreased risk with the vaccine.

Can the Chickenpox Vaccine Cause Shingles Later in Life?

"Although chickenpox vaccines do contain a weakened version of the live virus, which can reactivate later in life and cause shingles, this is very rare, he said. 'Nearly 99 percent of children who receive the vaccine will not get chickenpox at all,' Schaffner told Live Science. 'The remaining 1 percent who do get it will get a much milder version of it. Therefore, a vast majority of people receiving the immunization will not develop shingles later in life.' "

CDC - Varicella Vaccine - Vaccine Safety

"Chickenpox vaccines contain weakened live VZV, which may cause latent (dormant) infection. The vaccine-strain VZV can reactivate later in life and cause shingles. However, the risk of getting shingles from vaccine-strain VZV after chickenpox vaccination is much lower than getting shingles after natural infection with wild-type VZV."

It appears that the vaccine virus is less able to establish a latent infection, which is what allows shingles to develop:

Development of Varicella Vaccine

"Since both viremia and skin infection are likely to enhance the establishment of latency, the absence of viremia and the development of a minor vesicular rash or of none at all after vaccination suggest that most vaccine recipients will not develop latent VZV [varicella zoster (chickenpox) virus] infection. Vaccine recipients who are resistant to later clinical varicella [chickenpox] because of their immunity to VZV infection may be protected further from latent infection, if subclinical [no symptoms] secondary infections contribute to the burden of latent VZV genomes in ganglia. In the absence of latent infection, HZ cannot develop.

For these reasons, the incidence of HZ among vaccine recipients may be lower in later life, compared with the incidence among those who have experienced varicella. It will be necessary to wait for several decades to see whether this hypothesis is true. Studies have demonstrated that children with ALL [acute lymphocytic leukemia] are more likely to develop HZ [herpes zoster] than are healthy individuals of a similar age. During the follow-up of vaccinated Japanese children with ALL, the incidence of HZ among those who developed a rash after vaccination was 7.4 times higher than the incidence among those who did not develop a rash. Similar results were reported for a similar group of American children who had received the varicella vaccine. In that study, HZ occurred in 11 (4.1%) of 268 children with ALL who had developed a rash, compared with 2 (0.7%) of 280 children who had not developed a rash (P = .02). Results of case-control studies of American children with ALL also indicated that vaccine recipients were significantly less likely to develop HZ than were children who were not vaccinated. Although children with ALL and healthy children are different hosts for VZV, it is expected that routine vaccination against varicella in childhood eventually may reduce the incidence of HZ among the elderly."

Do we have to wait until those who are vaccinated to get older to see what the incidence of shingles will be? Yes, but current evidence points towards protection with the vaccine. I found one small case series of shingles after the vaccination of adults who participated in one of the early trials for the vaccine. Of two cases in about 325 participants, one was due to the wild virus and the other probably also wild virus, though it could not be proven.

By the way, my son who had ALL was hospitalized for shingles. He had chickenpox before the vaccine was developed. Yeah, disease is a part of life and sometimes people suffer. I really wish that the chickenpox vaccine had been available for him. Having to go through chemo was bad enough without having shingles on top of it. Suffering? Why allow it if it's preventable?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But there is decreased risk with the vaccine.

Can the Chickenpox Vaccine Cause Shingles Later in Life?

"Although chickenpox vaccines do contain a weakened version of the live virus, which can reactivate later in life and cause shingles, this is very rare, he said. 'Nearly 99 percent of children who receive the vaccine will not get chickenpox at all,' Schaffner told Live Science. 'The remaining 1 percent who do get it will get a much milder version of it. Therefore, a vast majority of people receiving the immunization will not develop shingles later in life.' "

CDC - Varicella Vaccine - Vaccine Safety

"Chickenpox vaccines contain weakened live VZV, which may cause latent (dormant) infection. The vaccine-strain VZV can reactivate later in life and cause shingles. However, the risk of getting shingles from vaccine-strain VZV after chickenpox vaccination is much lower than getting shingles after natural infection with wild-type VZV."

It appears that the vaccine virus is less able to establish a latent infection, which is what allows shingles to develop:

Development of Varicella Vaccine

"Since both viremia and skin infection are likely to enhance the establishment of latency, the absence of viremia and the development of a minor vesicular rash or of none at all after vaccination suggest that most vaccine recipients will not develop latent VZV [varicella zoster (chickenpox) virus] infection. Vaccine recipients who are resistant to later clinical varicella [chickenpox] because of their immunity to VZV infection may be protected further from latent infection, if subclinical [no symptoms] secondary infections contribute to the burden of latent VZV genomes in ganglia. In the absence of latent infection, HZ cannot develop.

For these reasons, the incidence of HZ among vaccine recipients may be lower in later life, compared with the incidence among those who have experienced varicella. It will be necessary to wait for several decades to see whether this hypothesis is true. Studies have demonstrated that children with ALL [acute lymphocytic leukemia] are more likely to develop HZ [herpes zoster] than are healthy individuals of a similar age. During the follow-up of vaccinated Japanese children with ALL, the incidence of HZ among those who developed a rash after vaccination was 7.4 times higher than the incidence among those who did not develop a rash. Similar results were reported for a similar group of American children who had received the varicella vaccine. In that study, HZ occurred in 11 (4.1%) of 268 children with ALL who had developed a rash, compared with 2 (0.7%) of 280 children who had not developed a rash (P = .02). Results of case-control studies of American children with ALL also indicated that vaccine recipients were significantly less likely to develop HZ than were children who were not vaccinated. Although children with ALL and healthy children are different hosts for VZV, it is expected that routine vaccination against varicella in childhood eventually may reduce the incidence of HZ among the elderly."

Do we have to wait until those who are vaccinated to get older to see what the incidence of shingles will be? Yes, but current evidence points towards protection with the vaccine. I found one small case series of shingles after the vaccination of adults who participated in one of the early trials for the vaccine. Of two cases in about 325 participants, one was due to the wild virus and the other probably also wild virus, though it could not be proven.

By the way, my son who had ALL was hospitalized for shingles. He had chickenpox before the vaccine was developed. Yeah, disease is a part of life and sometimes people suffer. I really wish that the chickenpox vaccine had been available for him. Having to go through chemo was bad enough without having shingles on top of it. Suffering? Why allow it if it's preventable?
I've looked at the studies before. The truth is that they have no idea if the vaccine will prevent shingles later in life due to the fact that the varicella vaccine has not been around long enough us to see the long term implications.

By the way, I wish you would use the quote function when adding in text that is not your own. It makes it difficult to decipher which portion of your post was yours and which portion you just copied and pasted from another source.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's nonsense. I had polio when I was a kid, my dad was deaf in one ear due to complications from measles. You clearly have NO idea what the world was like before we had ways to prevent these diseases.
Not only that, they have indications that Multiple Sclerosis may be caused by childhood exposure to measles. We won't know for sure until the vaccinated childhood population reaches late adulthood, but exposing unvaccinated children to measles may condemn them to disability and early death later in life.

The MSMV hypothesis: measles virus and multiple sclerosis, etiology and treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

As someone who has suffered from a severe case of shingles, you would have to be an idiot not to get the chicken pox vaccine if it is available.

175 years ago, my great-great-grandmother had 14 children and only 6 survived to adulthood. Diphtheria killed most of them.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Not only that, they have indications that Multiple Sclerosis may be caused by childhood exposure to measles. We won't know for sure until the vaccinated childhood population reaches late adulthood, but exposing unvaccinated children to measles may condemn them to disability and early death later in life.

The MSMV hypothesis: measles virus and multiple sclerosis, etiology and treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

As someone who has suffered from a severe case of shingles, you would have to be an idiot not to get the chicken pox vaccine if it is available.

175 years ago, my great-great-grandmother had 14 children and only 6 survived to adulthood. Diphtheria killed most of them.
Diptheria had a fatality rate of near 50% before treatment was available.
And you compare that with Chicken pox ?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
You know something, The Declaration of Independence isn't even needed to prove what I'm saying.

It should be common sense, and self evident, that a free society does not force or coerce parents to use needles to inject their children with chemicals.

It's pretty scary to me that you and others don't see this.
In a free society, if someone won't vaccinate their children you just set fire to their house and burn them out. That's where the "free society" nonsense ends up.

Public health has been a priority as long as there has been a germ theory of disease. If you think "a free society" is a good idea, try living without a sewer or septic system. They will take your property away from you. The reason that there is overwhelming support for public health programs is that people feel it is poor form to kill your neighbors or children. Your "freedom" doesn't extend that far.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've looked at the studies before. The truth is that they have no idea if the vaccine will prevent shingles later in life due to the fact that the varicella vaccine has not been around long enough us to see the long term implications.
That is what I said. However, current evidence supports the idea that the vaccine will be protective.

Quote:
By the way, I wish you would use the quote function when adding in text that is not your own. It makes it difficult to decipher which portion of your post was yours and which portion you just copied and pasted from another source.
The part that I quoted is within quotation marks. Using the quote function would make it look as if I were quoting another poster. If you read carefully, it is not difficult to discern what is a quote from a link and what I write, though I am flattered you could mistake the quoted part for something I wrote myself.

Yes, it is copied and pasted. That is the standard way to present cited information here. I am not the only one who does it.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Diptheria had a fatality rate of near 50% before treatment was available.
And you compare that with Chicken pox ?
So the anti-vaxers want us to quit vaccinating for diphtheria? Sorry, it's mandatory. You don't get to opt out.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,356 times
good

Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
So the anti-vaxers want us to quit vaccinating for diphtheria? Sorry, it's mandatory. You don't get to opt out.
LOL..so call me an anti-vaxxer instead of answering the question.

You are comparing the fatality rate of diphtheria before treatment was invented to that of chicken pox.
Those 2 cannot be compared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events