Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM

613 posts, read 463,413 times

Advertisements

Are people really arguing that this was abuse??? Ugh. -_-

I learned in developmental psych that some kids respond better to being spoken to, and some respond better to being popped. I think I was a bit of both. Maybe this guy was the latter. Hitting your kid when they do bad isn't always abuse, people. Some kids really do deserve to be whooped.

Quote:
Rather, a lack of fathers in the home plays a huge role there.
Yes, because NO OTHER RACE has dads who step out on their families.

It would be great if non-blacks didn't try pointing out "problems" in the black community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM

632 posts, read 932,754 times
[quote=berdee;39413331]I agree. She did three 'open handed' slaps to the head, and, her son was wearing a knit cap that probably cushioned the slaps. Later as he was walking ahead of her she was trying to get his attention and did two open handed slaps on the backpack he had on his back.
Several open hand slaps on a covered body part and people are freaking about about abuse
It's not like she'd done something like this...

"You shouldn't consider it spousal abuse, your honor. I just slapped my wife a few times on the head...she was wearing a knit cap that probably cushioned the slaps."

Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM

66 posts, read 73,301 times
Well, their parents understand that protests aren't necessary and their kids and all other protesters should better think about their families and about their work, not about abstract idea of protest!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
[quote=Todd_96;39417472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I agree. She did three 'open handed' slaps to the head, and, her son was wearing a knit cap that probably cushioned the slaps. Later as he was walking ahead of her she was trying to get his attention and did two open handed slaps on the backpack he had on his back.
Several open hand slaps on a covered body part and people are freaking about about abuse

"You shouldn't consider it spousal abuse, your honor. I just slapped my wife a few times on the head...she was wearing a knit cap that probably cushioned the slaps."

In a dangerous situation, she did the right thing. Comparing DV to what this mom did is a far cry from it. When your (general your) child is seen on TV throwing rocks, she ran her butt down to get him. She was the only parent to do this. Kudos to her.

The Police Commissioner had commented and wished all parents would come get their child out of the destruction violence going on. No mention of turning herself in for assault or DV.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Those are your words and your point is to attempt to discredit my opinion on the matter. That part is clear. I said "no obvious means of supporting 6 kids", a daunting task even for a married middle class couple with well paying jobs.

However I looked it up. Took 2 minutes. She states that she is an assistant manager at a recovery center. I will give her credit for saying the right things, that certainly is more than most, but I'll also note that nobody is asking where is the boy's Dad and why isn't he involved.

I stand by what I've said.
Is that the new normal, we ask all black women where their children's daddy is?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM

[quote=Todd_96;39417472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I agree. She did three 'open handed' slaps to the head, and, her son was wearing a knit cap that probably cushioned the slaps. Later as he was walking ahead of her she was trying to get his attention and did two open handed slaps on the backpack he had on his back.

Here is what the State of Maryland has to say about the matter:

Nothing in this subtitle shall be construed to prohibit reasonable punishment, including reasonable corporal punishment, in light of the age and condition of the child, from being performed by a parent or stepparent of the child.
§ 4-501. [Civil Code]

Old 04-29-2015, 11:36 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
To me, that didn't look like "corporal punishment" so much as a mom who was both angry at her kid for disobeying her (according to the CBS interview, she had told him the night before to go to school, and stay away from riot scene) and or the act itself (she said something to the effect of "What if we need the police sometime in the future, they're not going to want to help us, this was just wrong") but moreover, terrified for her child's safety. That fear caused an extreme reaction, one of passion and maternal impulse. I really don't see this one episode as abusive, at all.

I noted (and so did one of the CBS interviewers) that the kid did not try to defend himself or fight back; to me that indicates he does have respect for her and knew he'd been "busted".

Old 04-29-2015, 11:41 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Are people really arguing that this was abuse??? Ugh. -_-

I learned in developmental psych that some kids respond better to being spoken to, and some respond better to being popped. I think I was a bit of both. Maybe this guy was the latter. Hitting your kid when they do bad isn't always abuse, people. Some kids really do deserve to be whooped.

Yes, because NO OTHER RACE has dads who step out on their families.

It would be great if non-blacks didn't try pointing out "problems" in the black community.
Infidelity and lack of fathers in the home is not a racial issue. It is a societal probem. Anyone can speak to these issues.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM

49 posts, read 92,518 times
This woman is a single mother with 6 children. She is part of the problem. Most of the rioters should never have been born in the first place. I have zero sympathy for their constant whining about the system and evil whitey. America has enabled the problem by encouraging these people to breed and create even more dysfunction. The war on poverty has done nothing but create more poor people. You reap what you sew.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyreject View Post
This woman is a single mother with 6 children. She is part of the problem. Most of the rioters should never have been born in the first place. I have zero sympathy for their constant whining about the system and evil whitey. America has enabled the problem by encouraging these people to breed and create even more dysfunction. The war on poverty has done nothing but create more poor people. You reap what you sew.
gee, I have thought that about some of the CD posters...but I digress, it's sow, now sew.. You sew clothing, you sow crops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events