Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon
And I'm repelled by armchair warriors. But I digress.
Please. You have 20,000 posts. Qualification for commander in chief.

Quote:
I do understand that, since I am individualistic and believe in self sufficiency myself. I have very high expectations of others. I also believe in empowering others and helping people WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP THEMSELVES to reach their potential.
Agreed.

Quote:
I guess I am of the opinion that "If I'm not part of the solution, I may be part of the problem."
No that really isn't true. No personal offense to you for using it but that's been a trite cliche since it was made up. There are many problems that we can help with but the world is also full of problems that WE can't solve ... Things that are so intimately related to the people involved that only they can solve them. The plight of the black underclass has now boiled down to something that's on them.

Jim Crow is over, voting rights are a done deal, affirmative action gives a boost to African Americans trying to get into college, we have federal hiring quotas and employer discrimination is scrutinized and is basically a thing of the past. The playing field is now about as level as it gets. There is no more institutional racism in America. At a personal level? ... Yes but not institutional. I dare anyone to show where that exists.

The black community isn't being held back from success by the government, by white people, the educational system or by the police. They're being held back by the most basic fundamentals that only they can fix. Until they can restore a family structure where fathers take responsibility and start raising their kids, until mothers teach their daughters to not start having babies at 15 with worthless irresponsible men, until families start teaching their kids the value of education and hard work, until parents stigmatize crime to their young children and they drop the self-destructive attitude that success equals "being white" then there's no hope. Kids sent to school will have no interest in learning and will do their time disrupting and making teaching impossible. With no useful education and no parentally instilled civic values then you have people who will never succeed no matter how much aid or assistance is thrown at them. WE can't solve this most basic root cause of the black underclass. It's at the family level. Only they can solve it. You're not part of the problem and you won't be part of the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Is it un-PC to ask why so many single black women have a lot of kids? We're in the 21st century, and yet some people don't seem to be familiar with the concept of contraception.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

613 posts, read 463,340 times
Why do you guys love generalizating so much??? :\ Black people aren't concerned with improving their lives unless they're spoon fed opportunities? Huh???? Where's your PROOF?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM

774 posts, read 744,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Question:

What did any of you do this week to help eradicate any of the following:

1. Police brutality
2. Inner city poverty
3. Crime rates among those in poverty
4. Racism

Please share.
What did any of the rioters in Baltimore do to eradicate any of the above listed either? Quite the opposite would be more factual.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Why do you guys love generalizating so much??? :\ Black people aren't concerned with improving their lives unless they're spoon fed opportunities? Huh???? Where's your PROOF?
It is a generalization, and there are definitely exceptions to the rule (e.g., MoviePass was founded by a black man). But the "proof" that this type of handout craving is the rule rather than the exception comes to you every day with black people asking for financial "reparations" for what their great great great grandparents enduredbut they themselves did notand demanding more Affirmative Action rather than less.

Do you see the Chinese championing Affirmative Action? No, they go out and try to get ahead on their own. And guess what? They succeed.

Heck, here in NYC, the subways are filled with black people begging white people for money. Probably 25 or 50 black beggars doing that for every 1 white person or immigrant begging everyone on the train for handouts and cash.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
It is a generalization, and there are definitely exceptions to the rule (e.g., MoviePass was founded by a black man). But the "proof" that this type of handout craving is the rule rather than the exception comes to you every day with black people asking for financial "reparations" for what their great great great grandparents endured—but they themselves did not—and demanding more Affirmative Action rather than less.

Do you see the Chinese championing Affirmative Action? No, they go out and try to get ahead on their own. And guess what? They succeed.

Heck, here in NYC, the subways are filled with black people begging white people for money. Probably 25 or 50 black people doing that for every 1 white person or immigrant begging everyone on the train for handouts and cash.
Not to argue with you because I can see this conversation heading south really fast, but I see... er... other groups in NYC begging for change more than I see black people. Not that I consider that a significant sample size to base theories off of anyway, but that's just me.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 AM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Not to argue with you because I can see this conversation heading south really fast, but I see... er... other groups in NYC begging for change more than I see black people. Not that I consider that a significant sample size to base theories off of anyway, but that's just me.
What? I've lived in NYC for years and maybe 90-95% of the beggars here, on every train, are black. Now the people who play instruments and take donations in exchange for entertainment, many of those are Latino.

I personally have never given a dime to someone who doesn't even bother to entertain me, and never will. But those Peruvian flutists get me every time! They're amazing.

You're right though, even more indicative are the very leaders of the black community. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, on down the line, asking for "reparations" on behalf of their great great grandparents, more Affirmative Action, and other handouts from society.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:28 AM

12,221 posts, read 2,963,596 times
Also saw on TV this morning a black child in a fake arrest because he was rude to his teacher. News this week: It's sassy and fun if black women abuse their children. Now we know.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
What? I've lived in NYC for years and maybe 90-95% of the beggars here, on every train, are black. Now the people who play instruments and take donations in exchange for entertainment, many of those are Latino.

I personally have never given a dime to someone who doesn't even bother to entertain me, and never will. But those Peruvian flutists get me every time! They're amazing.

You're right though, even more indicative are the very leaders of the black community. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, on down the line, asking for "reparations" on behalf of their great great grandparents, more Affirmative Action, and other handouts from society.
Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson certainly aren't my leaders. You tried it.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 PM

632 posts, read 932,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
Lets not forget this long before ANY of us were alive. No black person alive today was ever a slave, no white person was a slave owner. Lets let go of the past instead of holding a part of history blacks have no part of over whites (who also had no part of) heads. I'm sick of hearing this reasoning, it has been beaten like a dead horse.
My point wasn't to claim that anyone alive today was a slave/slave owner, but to say that the comparison between black and other immigrant groups is not a good comparison. Blacks have contributed a lot to this country's success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events