Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Having 6 kids in a blighted area with no jobs or prospects just ensures the area will never have jobs and always have crime.
No, tossing govt. $$$ in all the wrong directions and shipping jobs to other countries does that. Years ago large families were the norm but people were able to be fairly self sufficient.
Not so today. In today's world you either have a good job or are dependent on the govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:57 PM

430 posts, read 835,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, tossing govt. $$$ in all the wrong directions and shipping jobs to other countries does that. Years ago large families were the norm but people were able to be fairly self sufficient.
Not so today. In today's world you either have a good job or are dependent on the govt.
I completely agree that globalization has been bad for the U.S. as our multinationals have offshored many white collar jobs overseas. Part of the problem is that they have the legal obligation under current U.S. law to maximize their profits on the behalf of shareholders. That means employing software engineers in India where they make $12,000 rather than employing them in the U.S. where they make $60,000. The law needs to be changed to favor employing people in the U.S., whether they are native born or even H-1Bs. Even H-1Bs spend the bulk of their money inside the U.S., creating more and more jobs.

Another part of the problem as to why people who actually get married and actually have jobs still can't have large families anymore isn't just that they don't get the welfare but that they usually have obnoxiously-high student loans to go with the education that landed them an average job.

It previous eras, one could get a decent job without going to college.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:04 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So you're claiming she's unemployed but can't provide the evidence? Get back to us when you have solid proof. Thanks.
Toya Graham, Baltimore Mom: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

read the 1st paragraph under her picture. It says she works at a alcohol and drug treatment center

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Exactly. or working 2-3 low-paying jobs just to stay afloat.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:01 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
The TRUE hero Moms are the one's whose kids stayed home while their neighbors were out there rioting, because they knew their mother would tan their hides. This woman's son knew he was in trouble when he saw his mother coming toward him, but it never dawned to him that he shouldn't have been out there in the first place. That could be her fault to some extent.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
taxpayers or her unemployment insurance?

I see no one really heard this mother when she spoke.

As the OP suggests, she is not on welfare, she was an assistant manager who has just been laid off, yes she has 6 children, so what?

Biases are showing, IMO...
So what? So, at the least it is irresponsible to keep bringing children into a situation where you have trouble caring for them and keeping them safe. Or do you suppose she really wants to raise her kids in a drug infested, gang run ghetto?

So what? So, all to often, as we all know yet some try to deny, single inner city women keep having children with different men and no obvious means of support, just good old Uncle Sam.

So what? So, maybe she doesn't stop at 6. Maybe it becomes 8 or 9. Or maybe any number of single mothers in her neighborhood themselves have 6,7,or 8 kids that become the responsibility of the taxpayers to take care of.

Biases, your damn right. I am biased against people who cannot, or will not work to support their own families, yet they continue having more babies knowing the govt checks will just keep coming.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:29 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,638,569 times
In an interview with Gayle King (CBS, I think), she said that she is unemployed, but I don't think that duration was mentioned. However, whether she is "Mother of the Year," or a welfare queen isn't really the point. At that particular moment in time, captured on video for all of us to see and remark upon, she corrected the bad behavior of one of the six children she brought into the world. It's what a responsible parent should do, and I commend her for it.

Here it is (at 5:39):http://www.cbsnews.com/news/baltimor...-freddie-gray/

Last edited by katenik; 04-30-2015 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Do a Ctrl-F for "unemployed" in any article about the woman. You're welcome.
Do a Google search under her name and with the term recently unemployed.

"Graham is recently unemployed."
Toya Graham, mom who slapped son at Baltimore protests, speaks with ABC2 - ABC2News.com

You are welcome!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Question I Don't Know. Is She?

Quote:
I read that she has 6 kids, all daughters except for that one son. She is a single mother, and seems to have been unemployed for a very long time.

Is it me, or is there something wrong with this picture? Should perpetually unemployed single women be having six kids? Now they're all living off of federal welfare, of course.

I don't want to offend, but she doesn't seem to be exactly "Mom of the Year" during the other 364 days of the year.
Where did you read it? If that is true, then I agree. Women seem to have agendas and they drag children along with them. Even if they are employed.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This has what to do with the incident with her son at the riot?
Absolutely nothing but you are free to assume whatever you wish since you do not know her, every detail of her life or the reason she is a single Mother of six children.
How do you know she is living off of welfare alone? Do you see her accounts? Get her mail? Know every detail of her finances and life?
No you do not and you are making assumptions based on a story you read somewhere more than likely.
However, if it is in the news then whatever they say must be the truth and all of the details are always in the story because it is in the news and they never leave out anything or lie or embellish.

PS ~~ If you did not "mean to offend" you would have never started this thread.
Words outta my mouth.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Whether she is employed or not is immaterial. I don't think anyone would condone making a career out of welfare by birthing so many children (IF that is true about her), but she obviously tries to stay on top of what her son is doing. Where were the rest of the mothers????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events