Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
The article wasn't exactly clear, but seemed to indicate the gate was open, so the officer went into the back yard. I don't believe it (the gate being opened).

If you have a big dog and a fenced yard, the gate is always, always, always, closed.
I doubt it was open as in wide open. I took from the article that open means unlocked.

I have friends that live in Wycoff it's a very quiet area and from what I have seen it looks like the cops have little to do in the way of actual policing. I'm not saying they are lazy, more bored than anything else from the lack of activity. So when a B&E in progress comes over the radio I would garner that the excitement level is peaked some what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Question I Am Proud Of Them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The police went to a random house and killed the family dog:

Cop didn't have to kill our dog, Wyckoff family says | NJ.com

Police say they were responding to a call from a house on the same steet. Reports say the house numbers are clearly marked and the numbers are odd on one side of the street and even on the other. Also, eyewitnesses are coming forward to disputes the "official" claim that the dog attacked.
Good for them. I am glad that the Poe Lease is safe and kept the neighborhood safe from the rotten attack dogs. But who are the burglars, and did they catch them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
If a cop shot my dog, I would kill them and their entire family. I would start with any kids first, spouse and finally the pig himself. It might take years to do it but I would eventually get it done.
Dogs are not these superior creatures that many people try to make them appear to be. I don't care what people think. You simply cannot do that.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
This actually happened to me once, in San Francisco. My apartment was burglarized, the police showed up and for some reason shot my landlord's poodle. I read an article last year that suggested cops shoot dogs all the time.

When Police Shoot Dogs - The Atlantic

When I commented on a different thread that police around here kill dogs "all the time," someone who didn't understand hyperbole was all over me like a bad rash (like I care). The fact is, it appears to be open season on dogs here and, apparently, elsewhere. A running dog is always "charging," and the police always "fear for their lives."

Dogs are territorial, yes, but every reaction to a stranger on their turf isn't aggression. Along with A-Z "sensitivity" classes, maybe they should learn ways to respond, other than shooting from the hip, when they encounter the family pet.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
I will say this. I feel more remorse for the dog than for Freddy Gray and Michael Brown.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
While the police did something wrong and I'd say there should be a response to this along the lines of a major apology and maybe even a settlement, a few posts reveal something that is a major pet peeve of mine, pardon the pun--some people's downright irrational love for dogs that, to be blunt, borders on being a mental illness that should lead to involuntary commitment in a mental institution until they get their marbles straight.

"I feel more remorse for the dog than Freddy Gray" and "you shoot my dog, I'm killing your family."

Please. This is absolute wack-a-doodle frult loop schizophrenia on full display.

Few things disgust me more than people putting dogs on a human being level of importance. It's stupid. "My dog doesn't judge me" and "my dog loves me unconditionally whereas humans don't do that." You know what this reveals? It reveals people too mentally deficient in the head to be able to handle a human being relationship, they can't take living things that are as smart as they are, so they turn to relatively speaking brain-dead robots that aren't CAPABLE of anything else other than blind loyalty. Give me a break.

And yes, I lump the owners of this dog somewhat in that category as well. Your family pet died, that is unfortunate and maybe there should be some sort of response to this sort of a needless action, but come on--your dog being shot is NOTHING like if one of your children were shot. It's ridiculous to act that upset, it's just downright mental.

Look, I have 2 dogs, and I also have 4 cats, and I truly cherish them, and I wouldn't want someone shooting any of them unnecessarily. However, I also have a wife and 2 children, and there is NO WAY I'd feel even remotely the same level of hurt over someone shooting one of my cats or dogs as I would them even INJURING my wife or 2 children, much less shooting them. Please.

Yes, I expect responses "well that's how YOU feel, but I love my dog more than any human" or "that's your opinion, but my dog is my child just as much as my son/daughter is" or "if I had to choose between my dog or my wife, my dog wins, it doesn't judge me or nag me or guilt-trip me and it's been with me through more ordeals for a longer time" blah blah blah.

Go ahead, but I'm telling you in advance--I think you're nuts. If you have children, I'd go so far as to say they should removed from your home if you even so much as THINK this opinion in your HEAD, much less say it publicly. You don't deserve your children, they deserve better parents than you. I wouldn't even allow any visitation their entire childhood. They deserve parents who, after their spouse, put them FIRST over any dang-blanged DOG (or cat, or ferret, or piglet, or snake etc).

Some people, I swear.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I love it how you make up facts as you go along to fit your narrative.. you have NO IDEA what the policeman saw walking up the driveway.. we ont have the police report do we.. we have a one sided article..

Police officer went to front door

No one answered.. went around side found gate then window open.. drew his weapon... dog came out window and bit him twice... horrible mistake...

We dont get paid to get bit by dogs.. mistakes or not

Now... have you ever made an error in your life that resulted in a negative consequence for another human being?... had an accident.. perhaps dui MJ? or DUI drugs?... maybe injured another human being by mistake.. ever>? and if your answer is no... maybe you want to think back a bit.. know what I mean?

Ill await that answer....

Department should compensate for dog without question.... compensation based upon worth of dog.. as dog.. and not family member.. that is not compensated.. unless they want to sue.. and perhaps in this sue happy world a jury might give them more.. but .. not likely...
All that really matters here is the Cop went to the wrong house and killed their Pet.

He got paid to go to the right house, where he would not have been bitten by this particular dog.

Doesn't matter what mistakes we make. The Law doesn't put us out there with a gun and the authority to go any place we deem fit with it, and use it if we desire.

The Department should pay for the dog as a family member, since most dogs are a part of the family. And you may be surprised what a Jury thinks about killing a Pet, wrongfully, by making such a stupid mistake that a UPS Driver would not make, let alone a Cop with a gun.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:49 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
While the police did something wrong and I'd say there should be a response to this along the lines of a major apology and maybe even a settlement, a few posts reveal something that is a major pet peeve of mine, pardon the pun--some people's downright irrational love for dogs that, to be blunt, borders on being a mental illness that should lead to involuntary commitment in a mental institution until they get their marbles straight.
You can only speak for your own relationship with your pets, not for everyone else. Seems to me, its even a "Big Deal" when a Police Dog gets killed, to their handlers. People are different and have different priorities. Just because pets are not a major one to you, means nothing. You likely should not have a Dog, same as Michael Vicks should have never had Dogs.

I don't mind saying that my Dog means a lot more to me than some people. I bet there are a lot more of us out there than those that are indifferent about it. Such is life, live with it.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I love it how you make up facts as you go along to fit your narrative.. you have NO IDEA what the policeman saw walking up the driveway.. we ont have the police report do we.. we have a one sided article..
I don't care what he saw. Everybody who has ever looked for a street address, knows one simple fact. Even numbers are on one side of the street, odd numbers are on the other side. There is no reason to get them mixed up, even if you are too blind to see big 12 inch tall numbers on a tree right next to the driveway you are walking down. If you don't know which side the even and odd numbers are on in your town, then you are too stupid to be a cop, or to be armed. Take the bullets out of your gun, resign your position and never touch a loaded gun again.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
The dog shot himself don't ya know!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:25 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I doubt it was open as in wide open. I took from the article that open means unlocked.

I have friends that live in Wycoff it's a very quiet area and from what I have seen it looks like the cops have little to do in the way of actual policing. I'm not saying they are lazy, more bored than anything else from the lack of activity. So when a B&E in progress comes over the radio I would garner that the excitement level is peaked some what.
Yes, and so do the levels of stupidity and trigger-happiness, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events