Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, that's a really common attitude seen in animal lovers, we're all willing to murder children and grandmas because we love and cherish our pets. You can't possibly believe that person is representative of most people who love their pets, I hope. That to me is idiotic, to believe that and to use it as some sort of justification of why it's not important that these people were made to suffer when they did nothing at all wrong.

Why are so many pro-constitution when it comes to guns, but so against protection of personal liberties and personal property from the government? Kill my dog, FINE, just don't touch my guns?
Say what? What does this have to do with guns???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I can speak for what I think is right, and I don't care about "different priorities" with respect to key issues such as this. To me right is right and there are NO ALLOWANCES for differing opinions. You're either right, or you're wrong, case closed.

And that is thus--a dog's life (or a cat's life) is relevant, sure, absolutely, but it is not as important as a human being, not even if the human is Charles Manson (and believe me, I count myself among those who regard him as the lowest of the low, believe me) and the dog is a K-9 who saved the president's life. A dog is STILL beneath a human, as is a cat, ferret, possum, any animal of any breed of any kind anywhere.

Simple as that.

Those who disagree, they're just plain wrong.
If you gave me a gun with one bullet, Put Charles Manson and my dog in front of me, and told me I was absolutely required (with no other options available) to kill either Charles Manson or my dog, I am certain the public would no longer be on the string for the costs of incarcerating Mr. Manson.

And my dog and I would both sleep well that night...

If you disagree with me, well, you're just plain wrong!

Old 05-01-2015, 03:11 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
My roommate and I are fairly confident that my dog would attack any stranger who came into the house without being invited by me or her. That is as it should be.

He is a well-adjusted animal who is friendly and outgoing in my presence and outside of his territory (which is basically my house and fenced yard). He is gentle with children and elderly people, and well-behaved around other animals. But yes, he would move to defend his territory someone he knew was not around to tell him to stand down.

I take every precaution as a dog owner. He is never unsupervised in the yard, even though he doesn't try to escape. He is never off-leash in an area where it is not allowed. He is up-to-date on his shots. But what can I do if police enter my property without letting me know first?

My problems with this case are that the police officer was called regarding a break-in with no urgency. Did he not have the full details? Why didn't he try to contact the original caller when there was no response at the front door? Instead he started walking around the property, which is kind of crazy. This was not a burglary in process. Why not confirm the address another time before trespassing? Why not knock harder on the front door? I mean, the most obvious explanation is that either the address was wrong or the owners were hard of hearing.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:28 PM

483 posts, read 655,120 times
I know the dog in this story acted out, but there are PLENTY of news articles of cops killing non-threatening dogs at homes.
One of my biggest fears as a pet owner(even though it is highly unlikely) is a cop to mistakenly enter my home and my dogs make the wrong move and get they are killed by the cop.
My dogs aren't even ones to defend a home(we've had friends come in while we weren't home and they never gave them trouble), they would just want pets. They are a beagle and a hound, they aren't even a guard-like breed.

I would be so devastated and would honestly, never trust a cop again.
I know the vast majority of police would never make a mistake like that, but as pet owner a mistake that big would cloud my judgement forever.
I do everything I can to protect my dogs but I can't protect them from a cop entering the wrong home, and assuming they are dangerous.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:43 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Say what? What does this have to do with guns???
The statement I was trying to make should be pretty clear, I gave more than enough context for the comparison.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
The officer involved should be fired for something like that, unacceptable.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OMG, so precious! I know he was grown when killed, but he was still his owner's "baby", and the man deserved more empathy and respect than was shown to him. It's not just that act that gets me, it's how cold and callous they are about it, even in the formality of the statements they release about these cases...there is no indication they understand or empathize in the slightest with the human suffering generated by their "mistake".
It sounds as if you watched their chief of police justify his cop's killing of Geist. I was as amazed as you were. And there were numerous other dogsassinations around the same time. It made me feel as if I live in a different America than the one I lived in as a child.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
I can speak for what I think is right, and I don't care about "different priorities" with respect to key issues such as this. To me right is right and there are NO ALLOWANCES for differing opinions. You're either right, or you're wrong, case closed.
I feel the same way. And you are wrong, according to what I think is right. Case closed.

Quote:
And that is thus--a dog's life (or a cat's life) is relevant, sure, absolutely, but it is not as important as a human being, not even if the human is Charles Manson (and believe me, I count myself among those who regard him as the lowest of the low, believe me) and the dog is a K-9 who saved the president's life. A dog is STILL beneath a human, as is a cat, ferret, possum, any animal of any breed of any kind anywhere.

Simple as that.

Those who disagree, they're just plain wrong.
And I believe you are as wrong as you believe I am. Not to say all dogs are better than all humans, just some. Charles Manson wouldn't stand a chance if I had to choose between him and this sweet little black and white mutt I met while I was out for lunch today, to say nothing of my own dogs and cats. Charles Manson? Really? How about if you lived in the 1930s? You'd choose Hitler over your dog? Hess? Stalin? You'd let them live, knowing what they'd do the minute you shot your dog instead of one of them? I am frequently amazed at some of the things I read here, and right now is "frequently."

Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times
There was a lady in Stillwater Oklahoma who had her door busted down by police and was brutally assaulted by officers. As the 63 year old woman was lying on the ground being pummeled by police, her small dog ran out the front door in fear and was never seen again. The woman sued the police department and LOST. The cops claimed it wasn't their fault, because the informant they used gave the wrong address. Sad that cops get away with so much, and they never once even apologized. I think this works both ways, if a cop breaks into your house you should have the right to shoot them since you don't know who they are.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:37 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It sounds as if you watched their chief of police justify his cop's killing of Geist. I was as amazed as you were. And there were numerous other dogsassinations around the same time. It made me feel as if I live in a different America than the one I lived in as a child.
I am starting to believe that many police officers simply don't have the emotional capacity to feel empathy. Maybe some came in wih the ability to be empathetic, but after years on the job they may lose it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events