Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
His name is (surprise surprise) Nadir Soofi.

Gawker
thanks. i had just found that out and was coming back to answer my own question

Quote:
The other man was identified as Nadir Soofi, according to law enforcement officials.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/05/us...oons.html?_r=0
http://heavy.com/news/2015/05/nadir-...errorism-isis/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
We remember the Alamo in Britain, even though its a place of American pilgrimage and folklore. I just wasn`t surprised when those ***** didn't make it past the car park.
Right on, my British brutha.

It's very much remembered here. We try to send all fourth grade kids studying Texas history on a school field trip to visit the Alamo.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"which was declared a heresy 200 years ago when Mohammad Wahabb"
Who declared it Heretical? I thought Wahhabism was the current Saudi Version of Islam that is pushed in all of the schools they fund around the globe.
Yes the al-Saud family is the main supporter of Whabbi'ism.
They were exiled from the Arabian peninsula in the 1800 for promoting it. In 1929 they conquered the Arabian peninsula and formed the KSA- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with the discovery of oil and the formation of the American Arabian Oil Corporation they became financially able to spread Wahabbi'ism . It has been outlawed in virtually every other Islamic Nation.

Very few if any Mosques get any assistance from Saudi and would turn it down if offered.
Their spread is primarily in developing African Nations.
The majority of Muslims are Sunni and follow one of the 4 Madhabs and adamantly disavow Wahabi'ism as heresy.
Shi'ite which are long standing enemies of Arabs all disavow Wahabbi'ism.
In the US there are over 2300 Mosques nearly every one built by either the local community or a local family. However, there are less than 700 Imams A good many of them having been born and raised in the US. the next largest group being refugees from Pakistan.
While there may be Muslims from Saudi in the USA I have not met any except in my college years and they have all returned to Saudi. Nearly all Arabs in the USA are Christian refugees.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:15 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Nearly all Arabs in the USA are Christian refugees.
Pls explain? Refugees from persecution by Christians?

Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
There is no way we can disown anyone from Islam. There is no joining of anything to be disowned from.

We have denounced his actions, but as long as he claimed he was Muslim we have no way to say he wasn't. Every person that claims to be Muslim is accepted as being Muslim.

One reason a Muslim burial was wanted, is because our burials are to be anonymous, no visiting of the grave, no memorial or even permanent markers. Not even Muhammad's grave was to have been marked, which contrary to Islam was done about 100 years after his death.

Also the burial at sea keeps the question open as to if it was Bin Laden. Many of us believe Bin Laden had died long ago .

While burial at sea is permitted in Islam we believe the burial must be the placing of the body in either a small boat or on a raft. We do not believe a person should be buried in any form of container or under water.
Woodrow, you often emphasize the individuality of Muslims (invariably in response to some act of violence on the part of Islam's adherents), but many observers might cite Muslims often acting en masse together.
Re bin Laden's death, you yourself refer to 'many of us' - where you could have used 'many Muslims'.
It seems like wanting to have your cake (when convenient) and eating it too.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:26 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I thought it was going to be horses**t but it turns out he's probably right. Most Arab Americans are Christians. Wheew. Glad to hear that. I'm not religious but I do know there's about zero chance of a Christian trying to kill me in the name of his religion.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post

No for freedom of religion. Christianity is pretty much forbidden in Saudi

Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Woodrow, you often emphasize the individuality of Muslims (invariably in response to some act of violence on the part of Islam's adherents), but many observers might cite Muslims often acting en masse together.
Re bin Laden's death, you yourself refer to 'many of us' - where you could have used 'many Muslims'.
It seems like wanting to have your cake (when convenient) and eating it too.
More like poor speech habits.

Although I have lived in Islamic Nations as a Christian Missionary and US Military (USAF)

I am a relative new comer in practicing Islam.

I left Christianity about 30 years ago for Atheism and accepted Islam 10 years ago.

Most of my learning about Islam was while I was a Christian.

I guess I use the word us so often because of a feeling of connection.

Although in reality no Muslim is to speak on behalf of anyone except himself and not to spread any interpretation of Islamic scripture without making it clear it is their own opinion.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:49 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,803 times
British schools now would never send the kids to anywhere that was once violent, makes you patriotic and teaches you your history. Everything is sooo PC.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I thought it was going to be horses**t but it turns out he's probably right. Most Arab Americans are Christians. Wheew. Glad to hear that. I'm not religious but I do know there's about zero chance of a Christian trying to kill me in the name of his religion.
Agreed. I've come close to being bored to death by people trying to sell me The Watchtower, but I survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events