Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear Heart, I wasn't responding to that point. Furthermore you have already made claim that anything that happens before you were born, is irrelevant, so you contradict yourself.
That doesn't matter, since you decided to make that claim in a prior post.

Quote:
It's [confederate flag] been made in to a symbol of racism over the last couple of decades by the same cadre who now wish to turn the word Thug into an unacceptable word.
Wise Wino (and myself before the discussion of the Civil War) countered the above point, and you've yet to respond. Care to defend your claim or is there some sort of message board Statute of limitations on C-D posts that I'm not aware of?

Also, you have made yet another false claim. I did not say anything before the late 80s was irrelevant, I said I'm not sure what relevance a fictional television show has on the meaning of the confederate flag.

Not sure why you would try to lie and distort someone's words when it's printed for everyone on these forums to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Dear Heart, I wasn't responding to that point. Furthermore you have already made claim that anything that happens before you were born, is irrelevant, so you contradict yourself.

You are 100% so far in proving this correct.
Oh, a personal attack.

That usually happens when the poster is incapable of discussing the message and then in-turn attacks the messenger.

I suggest sticking to the topic and refrain from personal attacks.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Wise Wino (and myself before the discussion of the Civil War) countered the above point, and you've yet to respond. Care to defend your claim or is there some sort of message board Statute of limitations on C-D posts that I'm not aware of?
Again you make the mistake of thinking that I follow what you post in this topic. I don't and I've not seen the post you are referring to. I only respond to your constant attacks against me.

Stop the insults, trolling, one liners, and attempts to discredit because you don't like something and I might consider taking your posts more seriously. Until then, don't expect me to respond just because you posted something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh, a personal attack. That usually happens when the poster is incapable of discussing the message and then in-turn attacks the messenger.I suggest sticking to the topic and refrain from personal attacks.
Dear Heart = term of endearment.
Rest = You already stated it.

Read the above. You just proved it.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:51 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
I had a Pol Sci professor who said that he believes that anything named after someone who served the Confederacy should be renamed. The simple fact is that they rebelled in order to keep something repressive in power.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Again you make the mistake of thinking that I follow what you post in this topic. I don't and I've not seen the post you are referring to. I only respond to your constant attacks against me.
This is the 3rd or 4th post asking you to respond a claim you made, and you still won't. It would just be easier to say you can't. We know.

Quote:
Stop the insults, trolling, one liners, and attempts to discredit because you don't like something and I might consider taking your posts more seriously. Until then, don't expect me to respond just because you posted something.
Interesting. This is a discussion board, correct?

You make a claim, and multiple posters counter it, yet you don't feel the need to respond to it. Very interesting. Instead, once again, you attempt to deflect and make wild accusations against the poster, instead of addressing the content of their posts.

Quote:
Dear Heart = term of endearment.
Rest = You already stated it.

Read the above. You just proved it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/39526978-post38.html

Above would fall under a personal attack. The light-hearted "smile" at the end of the post is just a means to soften the blow of the intended attack, so it doesn't get reported to the moderators.

However, I will leave you alone, as it's quite clear you are incapable of actually addressing my post. I'm used to it at this point.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:02 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I had a Pol Sci professor who said that he believes that anything named after someone who served the Confederacy should be renamed. The simple fact is that they rebelled in order to keep something repressive in power.
If you mean slavery then you have it wrong. Slavery was an institution of the USA, not just the South.

When the confederate states seceded from the USA, slavery was still legal in the USA. Furthermore Lincoln didn't issue the emancipation proclamation until 3 years after the war started and only did so for slaves in the rebelling states in the South. Slaves under the Lincoln government and the USA were still legal until the war concluded.

i.e. The simple fact you state isn't simple at all. The Southern states didn't secede for this reason.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I grew up in the South, still live here in Georgia, and the folks that think this is just "goofy" are the trashy rednecks. They are also the ones freely using the N word, and throw their beer cans and cigarette butts out of their car windows, too. I am white and never thought this was cool.
Can confirm. Source: Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

Mick

Old 05-08-2015, 10:17 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,826 times
Yep.... fooled into them fighting and dying for a Rich Mans Luxuries and one that was actually harmful
" To The Working Class" .. Go Figure.. Some are even proud of that kind of mentality..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
dozens of my relatives had no problem dying for the rebel flag and not a single one of them owned a slave .. they dont know who won the war and dont care ...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
If you mean slavery then you have it wrong. Slavery was an institution of the USA, not just the South.

When the confederate states seceded from the USA, slavery was still legal in the USA. Furthermore Lincoln didn't issue the emancipation proclamation until 3 years after the war started and only did so for slaves in the rebelling states in the South. Slaves under the Lincoln government and the USA were still legal until the war concluded.

i.e. The simple fact you state isn't simple at all. The Southern states didn't secede for this reason.
The secessionists themselves seem to disagree with you. They were 100% clear that they were fighting a war to protect the institution of slavery. You are spouting revisionist history BS.

Texas - She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery–the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits–a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time
Mississippi -Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery– the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:08 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
As, I've pointed out the north was indeed complicit in the establishment of slavery and profited well from it. However, that is the most simplistic view one which I didn't think need being expanded upon until now.

The slave trade was outlawed in 1808 which effectively shut down northern participation in the north Atlantic slave trade.

By 1803, less than a decade after the ratification of the Constitution New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Ohio had outlawed slavery. Indiana, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, California, Minnesota, Oregon and Kansas entered into the Union as free states. So it is a bit disingenuous to claim that slavery was universal aspect of the United States prior to the Civil War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events