Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 10:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Thanks for already underscoring the point I was about to make: that secession was not unconstitutional at the time it happened.

Obviously, Justice Chase knew this and thus felt the need to make this declaration, so that any future secessions would indeed be unconstitutional.

Please cite the clause in the Constitution that says that Union membership is permanent. I've read it more times in my life than I can remember, and can find no such clause. I can, however, point to clauses in the Declaration of Independence that specifically state that it can become "necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another" and that "whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
Bingo...one of the natural rights of man is the freedom of political association. No "union" is ever permanent. People who think the "union" is an excuse to assault and terrorize your formerly fellow citizen are nothing but bullies and thugs. They're like date rapists...what part of No or STOP do you not comprehend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:44 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
If you see a confederate flag...burn it. It's no different than supporting ISIS or Al-Qaeda. Just because the belligerents were white southerners, doesn't mean that they weren't terrorists.

These racist bigoted bastards actually think that it's honorable to fight on the side of a war that keeps fellow Americans in bondage. Think about that for a second. Imagine if every white woman in the U.S. was owned by a wealthy black man. The "wealthy" black men represent 10% of the black male population. Now those wealthy black men start a war with the rest of the U.S. to protect their right to own white women. The 90% of black men that don't own WW's, fight in the war to protect the wealthy black man's right to "freedom" to do as he chooses, but he's not really benefitting from ownership of slaves. As ridiculous as this all sounds, it's not too far from what the Civil War stood for in the south.

The Civil War was not about states' rights or northern aggression. It was about a small number of wealthy planters that wanted autonomy in making slaves out of blacks. The south had not industrialized so they were dependent on African American slave labor while the north only needed willing immigrants to fill its factories.

The poor bubbas that were on the front lines got sold a bag of crap. They were convinced that the fight was for freedom (ironic, they were fighting to be "free" so that the elite that controlled them could enslave others).
It was actually 6% of southerners...at the peak of slavery. And at that time, 3000 blacks owned 20K black slaves.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:04 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's a good way to get shot.
By who, chump?

If a bubba gets froggy with me or my set, he'll get his cap twisted back. We throw hands and then we throw lead, trick.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It was actually 6% of southerners...at the peak of slavery. And at that time, 3000 blacks owned 20K black slaves.
What's your point?

It sounds like you're saying that owning people is OK. Gotcha.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
By who, chump?
Do you really think you can find a Confederate flag owner who doesn't also own guns?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:55 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Is it the flag, or is it the guns?

Is this a type of pride that's not allowed in some way?

I still have much to learn about American society, I thought so much was about pride.

I thought it was just a fun shot.

Funny thing: My 5 year old daughter was just trying to find her toy cap gun. Is that offensive?

Old 05-10-2015, 06:16 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
The Confederate Battle Flag(not to be confused with the Stars & Bars) is a symbol of freedom to much of the world.
Which part of the world?

I agree that this is a tempest in a teapot and that the kids in the photo probably meant no harm to anyone but any discussion of race in America seems to bring out the worst in people.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:26 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I agree that this is a tempest in a teapot and that the kids in the photo probably meant no harm to anyone but any discussion of race in America seems to bring out the worst in people.
There seems to be a problem with any kind of recognition of differences, in anyone, positive or negative.

I couldn't see any mention of race in the photo, but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words. The problem is, the painter has no choice of the words that are subsequently picked.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:54 AM

24,469 posts, read 17,211,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Is it the flag, or is it the guns?

Is this a type of pride that's not allowed in some way?

I still have much to learn about American society, I thought so much was about pride.

I thought it was just a fun shot.

Funny thing: My 5 year old daughter was just trying to find her toy cap gun. Is that offensive?

Funny how confederate flags and guns do seem to go hand in hand. Is it a redneck stereotype? Or is it that there is a tradition of hunting and shooting in the South and the flag is a symbol of pride? The Civil War was a horrible time but an amazing time in Americas History. There are tens of thousands of people both Northern and Southern that take great pride in their heritage and actually dress up for reenactments.

It is about pride and heritage.

Your daughter and her cap gun could be very offensive depending on who you are talking to. Last year a kid was suspended from school for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a gun. 2 boys got into trouble when they were chasing each other around with squirt guns at the bus stop. A girl was suspended because the teacher overheard her telling a friend when they get home that she will shoot her with her Hello Kitty bubble gun.
You can't make this stuff up. Who didn't play cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians or WAR when they were a kid? You can't do that today because someone might be offended. You should tell your daughter to keep that cap gun holstered.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
everybody seems to be ignoring the 250 pound gorillas in the room...the boys' prom dates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events