Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
There was this girl who was in the same High School graduating class as myself. She got accepted into Harvard, but instead opted for a middle of the road non-flagship state university because they offered her a free ride. I'm not so sure I would have taken that same deal, considering Harvard typically can be pretty generous with their financial aid scholarships as well. Granted it was her own decision to make, but I don't think most people would have opted for the third tier state college if put in the same fortunate position as herself.
Harvard is free to all except kids of upper middle class and wealthy families. I'd bet that was just a tall tale that got passed around your school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Very cool!!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
Many of the kids that got into the top scholls would have been accepted at all 8 but chose not to apply to all 8.

If you have high scores and initiative plus have a "hook" showing how you have the grit and drive to overcome challenges then you can get in those schools.

That being said, this is a shining example of what makes America so great. Those are all young people that will keep this country moving forward.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Prospect. If you had the education we are discussing you would understand anecdotal evidence is totally unreliable "you met some people who went to Berkeley " Gee glad you go there

Whether it's the American Council on Education or the London Times which carefully ranks schools, Cal and Stanford are right up there at the top Cal is higher
This isn't merely anecdotal, although the anecdote helps to support other rankings. At the end of the day, while Berkeley is ranked as a top public school, it is not on the same page as the Stanford in most respected rankings. I think that point is clear to most people who are willing to look at things objectively by the numbers in terms of average SAT/ACT scores, etc. That's all. Again, that's not to say that Berkeley isn't a fine institution (it is a great school and among the best in the country/world). But that doesn't take away from what I've written.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Harvard is free to all except kids of upper middle class and wealthy families. I'd bet that was just a tall tale that got passed around your school.
That has changed a bit over time though as they greatly expanded their tuition assistance to build their basketball team back 5ish years ago, Harvard is currently only free if your household income is <65k....but is reduced rate up to 150k where in general you only have to contribute 10% of household income.

(I know, my kid got a letter from them last month. )

There is an on-line cost estimator for Harvard
https://college.harvard.edu/financia...ice-calculator

I mean let's say your household income is 175k and you are on the east coast, that's not a ton. Harvard without the help costs 65k a year roughly.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:47 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Honestly, once you get into Harvard or whatever is the toughest, is it really that much harder to get accepted to all of them?
Still impressive, yes.
Actually, yes. Mainly because the different schools will try to read the chances of an applicant being accepted to peer schools; if Dartmouth thinks an applicant may be admitted into Harvard and would choose Harvard over Dartmouth, that school may very well decide against admitting that applicant so as not to hurt their yield, which factors into rankings. Hence, we don't have hundreds of these cases, despite the fact that more than 1,000 (I believe) students are admitted into each, Harvard, Yale, etc., each year; there are not many more than a handful of applicants who are admitted into all 8 of the Ivies each year, despite way more than a handful who apply and who get into at least one or two of the top schools.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That has changed a bit over time though as they greatly expanded their tuition assistance to build their basketball team back 5ish years ago, Harvard is currently only free if your household income is <65k....but is reduced rate up to 150k where in general you only have to contribute 10% of household income.

(I know, my kid got a letter from them last month. )

There is an on-line cost estimator for Harvard
https://college.harvard.edu/financia...ice-calculator

I mean let's say your household income is 175k and you are on the east coast, that's not a ton after taxes, housing costs etc. Harvard without the help costs 65k a year roughly.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Actually, yes. Mainly because the different schools will try to read the chances of an applicant being accepted to peer schools; if Dartmouth thinks an applicant may be admitted into Harvard and would choose Harvard over Dartmouth, that school may very well decide against admitting that applicant so as not to hurt their yield, which factors into rankings. Hence, we don't have hundreds of these cases, despite the fact that more than 1,000 (I believe) students are admitted into each, Harvard, Yale, etc., each year; there are not many more than a handful of applicants who are admitted into all 8 of the Ivies each year, despite way more than a handful who apply and who get into at least one or two of the top schools.
So, these are students who are what then?

Just borderline enough scores with a big "hook" like living homeless and overcoming or are off the charts and fill niches that are harder to fill like ethnicity?

Just curious, doesn't matter to me. I'm well aware that Harvard for example is trying very hard to keep it's asian % down as it's really high.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Dr Ben Carson's mother had a third grade education and was married at age 13. Dad already had another wife and family he forgot to mention. Mom could barely read.

Ben was a lousy student. Mom put her foot down and turned off the TV. Instead, she insisted her two boys read at least two library books a week and write a book report for each. The boys discovered they enjoyed reading. How much different Carson's life would have been had his mother not intervened.

I would be very surprised if any of these kids , with multiple Ivy acceptances, spent much time watching TV or obsessing over social media dramas.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
After reading the article, and looking at the pix of the students, what I would say is that it is a clear illustration of how affirmative action is benefiting mostly the children of Black or Hispanic immigrants, instead of benefiting African Americans who are the descendants of slaves in the US. There was only one student who was not a "person of color". I'd be very interested to see how these students ranked against the other applicants to these colleges, of all races, creeds, color, religion, countries of origin, etc, in SAT scores, GPAs, and class rank, especially since there are plenty of cases of White and East Asian students who have perfect SATs and are class valedictorians or salutatorians who don't get into all 8 Ivies, or even a single one! In general, being able to qualify as "African American" (which might mean being the well off child of successful Nigerian immigrant physicians, or even being the unwitting illegitimate child of a mother's secret relationship with a mulatto man, whose appearance in an application photo leads to the applicant's being classified as AA) adds a 15 - 20% boost to the applicant's credentials. Being able to be classified as Hispanic (which might mean being the grandchild of a Holocaust refugee who was able to flee Europe to Central or South America, spending five years or so there before coming to the US, but having had a child there, whose offspring are now "Hispanic") gives a boost of 10 - 15%.

Don't get me wrong. These kids are fantastic students, who probably merited admission to a top college. But before we start trumpeting that the children of immigrants are working harder, and holding these kids up as examples, let's get the real statistics. The California public school system eliminates racial preferences in admission (and hence eliminates racial quotas in admission) and suddenly, their top school, UC Berkley, is almost 50% Asian. And they don't separate out Jews from Whites in their statistics, so there's no way to tell about that. And yet, there is not a single East Asian kid who was admitted to all 8 schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events