Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:10 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I googled the student names.

All also have remarkable resumes in addition to SAT scores.

BTW, all of these schools have legacy preferences. Harvard accepts one- third of all legacy applicants, which generally favor white students over minorities with higher scores/ stronger resumes.
Yep. I know all about the legacies hence my referencing them letting in lower scorers typically only if they are good with a basketball or have last names like Bush, Clinton etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Stop that, you are destroying the narrative of the affirmative action opponents.

Mick
There are all kinds of bonus points you can get from legacy to racial to geographic etc. in terms of application and acceptance to these private schools....so it's really their business in the first place. Legacies themselves are a type of AA.

Ironically, you should note that the big fight over race based admissions anymore are complaints on the east coast from minority groups that there are "too many asians" in the magnet public schools and as I've noted a white guy has an easier time getting into some top schools than an asian at this point from everything I've read.

Today, I support socio-economic AA, not pigment based AA. This is how things have adjusted in the country anyway. Nobody wants you admitting Will Smith or Collin Powells kids and checking a box saying "hey we got enough blacks, diversity wins!" That freezes out the kids that worked hard and came up with a lot less while working 20 hours a week, no private tutors, no missed meals etc. There have been numerous articles about this over the years and I agree with them.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
In my high school, a public school in a nice area of Miami(back then 70% white non hispanic and 20% black) the smartest kid was a minority, the son of immigrants from India. Everybody knew him, he was a celebrity in our school because he had a ridiculous GPA and was extremely bright.

Now he is the 19th surgeon general of the US.

Is it really hard to accept that some people are just very bright even if they are the children of immigrants or their skin is a little dark?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:51 AM

387 posts, read 589,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
In my high school, a public school in a nice area of Miami(back then 70% white non hispanic and 20% black) the smartest kid was a minority, the son of immigrants from India. Everybody knew him, he was a celebrity in our school because he had a ridiculous GPA and was extremely bright.

Is it really hard to accept that some people are just very bright even if they are the children of immigrants or their skin is a little dark?
i had to look him up. what a smart guy! Bachelors from Harvard and MD, MBA from Yale. woww

Biography of the Surgeon General | SurgeonGeneral.gov

Old 05-13-2015, 07:26 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

Most people readily accept that some of the smartest people on this planet are Indian, but they are reluctant to accept that a black or Latino could be smart like that (at least that they couldn't have done it without affirmative action).

I think that people like Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Ben Carson, Susan Rice, Barack Obama, Neil deGrasse Tyson and many others are smarter than 99% of the rest of us. To dispute that would only cast a doubt on your own intelligence.

Mick

Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 AM

16,576 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What do you bet that there were better qualified, but less diverse, applicants passed over so that some of these 7 could be accepted.
In many cases discriminatory policies like affirmative action do adversely affect whites in favor of minorities, all in the effort to "create diversity". I believe it is wrong, and the tide is turning on those programs as the SCOTUS is finding them less tolerable.
However we are not talking about taking unqualified minorities over qualified whites in this instance based on what I understand of the story.
So while your suspicion is in many cases valid, and rarely reported on in regards to feel good stories of minority advancement, I do not believe it was the case in this instance.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 AM

613 posts, read 463,340 times
Why can't some of you just let these kids be great? Why holler about afirm. action?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Why can't some of you just let these kids be great? Why holler about afirm. action?
We all need a reason why our little precious snowflake muffins did not get into an Ivy after spending $8,463,221 in private school education and $750,000 in extracurricular activities and SAT prep classes. "But, but, I was a great Tiger Mom!"

Yet others need to know why they were admitted only to MacDonald's Hamburger University(R) . . . only if there wasn't affirmative action, they would have gotten those spots at the Ivies by leapfrogging other supremely qualified white and Asian candidates. Life is so unfair.

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 05-13-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times
Wonderful story! bright futures ahead!!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Agreed.

Such a wonderful story that has to be turned into something negative here on this forum. They were accepted because the universities found them to be qualified. These are bright students obviously and would have more than likely been accepted regardless of their skin color or ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events