Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, one of Subways minimum wage sandwich makers (out of 100,000 or more) is an idiot and they fired them.

No one is going to boycott Subway over this and the concept is stupid.

Who knows what the motivation is for the boycott call, probably just a dumb idea by someone picked up by the media and repeated because....it was a really dumb idea and the event is big news.
Yup, pretty much.

I thought her remarks were disgusting, but I did eat at Subway on Saturday.

Didn't ask my "sandwich artist" what his politics were. Don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
In the context of a culture where people are routinely fired for saying politically incorrect things on social media, it is consistent to either fire this individual as well or stop firing people for what they say on social media in general, unless they are threatening harm. But that is a decision for each company to make on its own. I would not boycott over this but I wouldn't boycott over someone saying something racist or sexist or anti-gay either. I don't care what a company's employees think about social issues in general.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Very ignorant people embrace the race baiting, cop hating rhetoric. The **** stirrers don't care about the uneducated people who swallow their hateful agenda; they use them to further their goal only. I find their propaganda and impact on impressionable, young minds sad and very discouraging.
There is some real truth to this post.

The hyperbole about race, racism, cops etc. from both sides has some influence on the youngest and dumbest out there.

Same way you get young Jihadi's....just blast their little, uninformed, undeveloped brains with one-sided propaganda and what do you expect is going to happen?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
No. Getting fired for her speech was NOT a violation of her free speech rights.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US who work for a corporation have a code of conduct when working in an official capacity.

She got fired for violating that code of conduct.

Just like a Publix employee would be fired for cursing out a customer for example.

I was a retail store owner AND a union member/and manager for the phone company. You better believe you'll keep it to YOURSELF when you're on the CLOCK.

I even had to tell my pet store employees to NOT MAKE JOKES to the public because you will ALWAYS offend someone even when you aren't even being offensive. Like the guy who said "nice pants" to a customer who was wearing the IDENTICAL PANTS as my employee but the guy got MAD.

So no.

Your ISLAM conflation fails here. Saying crap about Islam will ALSO get you fired.

Even if it's about Jihadists or Islamic extremists, albeit it would be more understandable since they're conducting an actual WAR over there.

This is also why Starbucks suffered extreme backlash over their stupid "lets discuss race" idea WRITING CRAP ON MY COFFEE CUP.

We do NOT want to hear it when we're spending money to buy your product.

ANY of it.
Yes, like I said it elsewhere, if you are an at-will employee you can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law, or for no reason at all.

Clearly, I am not talking about what her employer did. I am observing how the "society" is reacting to her for expressing her non-PC, dumb thoughts within her private circle on Facebook, and contrasting it to Pam Geller's purported purpose for holding the cartoon contest in Garland, TX. As you know, "free speech" is the battle cry for Geller's supporters. "Free speech" doesn't apply to the Subway lady? It doesn't seem to be "content neutral" to me. Please explain and distinguish logically. (PS, free speech and First Amendment don't apply if state action is absent).

Mick

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Subway is disgusting by the way.

Anyone that could ever enjoy that cardboard has obviously never had a real Philly hoagie.
OMG right.

I'm from Philly relo to Florida and I swear without exaggerating I would move back just for the food. (if I could). All of it. The Italian Market. The pork. The cheesesteaks. The bakeries. The Italian American restaurants like RALPHS! Even the WAWA!

Also Subway was putting that non food bread conditioner in their rolls ewww.

You CANNOT get Philly bread here. A couple hoagies stores claim to fly it in in So Fl.

I DO like that Subway is VERY clean. ALWAYS uses a clean knife and has spinach option to add to your sandwich, too and are ORGANIZED to get the food made quickly and you get out fast.

BUT KETCHUP IS NOT OFFERED. WTH.

I want ketchup if I get a roast beef and cheese. Don't judge me LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-11-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 08:54 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yes, like I said it elsewhere, if you are an at-will employee you can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law, or for no reason at all.

Clearly, I am not talking about what her employer did. I am observing how the "society" is reacting to her for expressing her non-PC, dumb thoughts within her private circle on Facebook, and contrasting it to Pam Geller's purported purpose for holding the cartoon contest in Garland, TX. As you know, "free speech" is the battle cry for Geller's supporters. "Free speech" doesn't apply to the Subway lady? It doesn't seem to be "content neutral" to me. Please explain and distinguish logically. (PS, free speech and First Amendment don't apply if state action is absent).

Mick
That's funny you throw "logically" in there as if I'M the one not being logical.

I know you were talking about what SHE did. But NO you were not talking about society you even RIGHT HERE compare her to Geller and claim Geller is doing a "battle cry" as if that's "bad". And what do you mean "purported"? She clearly STATES why. You don't need to read INTO IT.

She was wrong in Subway's eyes because she was WORKING and:

1) Not supposed to be TWEETING
2) Presenting a negative impression of her employer.
3) Alienating future customers and certainly the ones in that geographic area.

THAT will get you fired everywhere.

ALL SPEECH IS PROTECTED unless it is a very narrowly defined definite threat to another person. Even the worst speech. EVEN celebrating cop killings is PROTECTED. That doesn't mean you can't get fired for it by your EMPLOYER.

YES you can get arrested for speech in ENGLAND. NOT HERE.

There's an Islamic guy right now running around on TV claiming Geller needs to go to Sharia Court and get the death penalty. That is FREE SPEECH. Now, if he said "I am going to apply the death penalty onto Geller" that would be NOT free speech because it's a direct death threat.

The girl's speech WAS protected. She's not in jail is she?

OH WAIT. Conservatives were systematically harassed by the GOVERNMENT AGENCIES for their speech.

You are conflating an employee wearing a UNIFORM to Pam Geller having a free speech conference.

HOW are they related?

You fail to logically understand the actions of an employee to the actions of a bunch of citizens gathering in a group to say things.

BUT NEITHER ONE was PUNISHED by the government so what's your complaint again???

Perhaps you weren't born in America or socialized or educated here but this this is the very REASON why America was founded. Studying the Constitution may help clarify if this doesn't resonate with you.

There are no "limits" or "abuse" of free speech. The WORST POSSIBLE speech MUST be protected.

Just like when Christians are baited with crucifixes in urine or plays mocking Mormons on Broadway sell out to great reviews.

You get to complain about it. But that's ALL you can do. You cannot enact LAWS about it. Even though Liberals and big government Progressives of both parties would love to.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-11-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 09:11 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
I don't boycott businesses period. I probably wouldn't have walked into that particular subway though, she might spit in my food or something. I'd just go to another one, they are all over the place.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I'll boycott Subway because the food tastes like cardboard.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This will not even be a blimp in Subways business. Matter of fact, that sounds good for lunch today.
Mmmm...remember Blimpie? Now that was a sandwich shop.

Also, in order to boycott Subway, I would have to start eating there, and that just isn't going to happen.

Last edited by jay5835; 05-11-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Default Subway worker fired after praising Hattiesburg cop slaying on social media.

Of course, if she was in danger, she'd be yelling for the cops. Serves her right IMO.

Food worker fired after praising death of two cops | New York Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events