Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times

Advertisements

Sounded like she would've been better off badmouthing Subway instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:20 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, there are STILL some folks who don't understand posting inflammatory stuff on social media can come back to bite them?
Seems to be an IQ issue. At least the idiots among us keep revealing themselves.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times
ackmondual, Either way, bad mouth who you shouldn't on a public social media site and..volla you are in for trouble at work.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
This has nothing to do with Subway and everything to do with an ignorant girl with a poor disposition.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Has anyone asked you to boycott Subway, or called on a general boycotting of Subway?. I didn't think so, most people with any common sense at all know that this hateful behavior on the part of a loser out there is not representative of her employer.

Wonder if she even realized, or would be too thick-headed to even care, that one of those officers gunned down was a 25 year old black man who had been on the force for less than a year, who came from a rough neighborhood, and chose this profession because he wanted to improve things in his own community?
This article suggests a mass boycott of Subway is underway. In fact, i think i'm going to go out now and support Subway, i'm going to get myself a nice footlong Sub.

Subway. Eat Fresh.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am aware how free speech works legally. I am saying it should be expanded.

She is not the "face" of the company when she's on her own time. Am I the face of a company when I'm on vacation? I remember a guy who, on his own time, visited nude spa places and there were probably even photos taken of the occasion, because that's what people do, they take photos of their life for making memories of their life, and not once did anyone have any notion that he shouldn't have been doing such things. It was understood implicitly--his time was HIS time, yes even with photos of the occasion in existence. It was no reflection of the company and no measure of his fitness as an employee.

The only point I will somewhat agree with is that it's better to say these things under an alias in forums vs using your real name in Facebook or Twitter, which for some reason seem to be looked at in a "public" sort of way that forum and newsgroup/Usenet discussions don't, those discussions "stay in there." Frankly, I think they should bring newsgroups back, I don't know where they went to, I loved them. Discussions here and in other place using an alias is somewhat the same thing.

She is in an "at will" state, the employer can terminate her employment at anytime and for any reason.

I also don't see any problem with an employer being able to cut ties with an employee who publicly embarrasses them, whether on company time or their own time. The volume of complaints that Subway received as a result of this woman's comments was overwhelming.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
When you publicly support someone's murder, you get what you deserve. Subway did the right thing. I wouldn't want her making my sandwich. Would you?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,983 times
Ok that's ridiculous. What she posted wasn't even that bad. Rude and insensitive, yes, but people post worse stuff every day and no one cares. It doesn't appear she was serious, it seems more like an idiot trying to be funny. Some people have a messed up sense of humor. I can't believe people are boycotting a restaurant just because ONE employee was rude online. WTF is wrong with people? O.o It's hardly the company's fault.
This is why I have "business" social media accounts, where I never post personal opinions or anything remotely controversial, and have fake private ones where I can speak my mind and goof off with friends without ruining my life. You never know when something you post online will stab you in the back.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Just another nasty pig who will end up with five babies from four different daddies. Coming to a McDonalds near you. Would you like fries with that?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:45 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am aware how free speech works legally. I am saying it should be expanded.

She is not the "face" of the company when she's on her own time. Am I the face of a company when I'm on vacation? I remember a guy who, on his own time, visited nude spa places and there were probably even photos taken of the occasion, because that's what people do, they take photos of their life for making memories of their life, and not once did anyone have any notion that he shouldn't have been doing such things. It was understood implicitly--his time was HIS time, yes even with photos of the occasion in existence. It was no reflection of the company and no measure of his fitness as an employee.

The only point I will somewhat agree with is that it's better to say these things under an alias in forums vs using your real name in Facebook or Twitter, which for some reason seem to be looked at in a "public" sort of way that forum and newsgroup/Usenet discussions don't, those discussions "stay in there." Frankly, I think they should bring newsgroups back, I don't know where they went to, I loved them. Discussions here and in other place using an alias is somewhat the same thing.
Well, I can assume the guy who visited the nude spa places was not wearing the company logo, unless it was tattooed on his body somewhere.

People who use social media should be careful what they say and what they take pictures of themselves doing.

This woman said something ugly while in her company's uniform. The firing is totally justified. She also demonstrated an attitude that her employer found he did not want in an employee who is dealing with the public. His customers probably include members of the police force. If I were a cop or a member of a cop's family I would not want her making my sandwich. I would not want her making my sandwich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events