Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:32 AM

836 posts, read 1,032,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I see subway and I keep thinking Metropolitan Transit Authority.
Totally off topic lol, but I had the hardest time calling the 'subway' a subway in NYC. I was so used to calling it Metro since that's what they call it in DC.

But back to the topic here- I'm glad Subway stepped up and fired her. What an awful thing to say about two innocent cops. I wonder how many lives those two cops combined saved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
She is in an "at will" state, the employer can terminate her employment at anytime and for any reason.
Again, I am aware of this, and again, I don't care. I am talking about what is RIGHT, not what the law is. This is nothing but legalism, using the technical aspects of the law to justify something that isn't right. This reminds me when my best friend told his father, whose employer forbid him for doing things such as rock climbing or hang-gliding because of safety issues, that his employer had no right to dictate what he did on his own time, and he ought to oppose it and not go along with something like that. (And no, his father didn't play professional sports, he was simply a worker at a DuPont plant, a company at the time amongst its workers known for being rather over-the-top sometimes with their safety policies). Even if the state was an "at will" state, firing someone for hang-gliding on their own time just isn't right in principle, regardless of the law.

So, to that end, I am also saying that I think at-will should be eliminated in the entire US. Employers should not be allowed to perform "at will" actions, they should be 100% eliminated at the federal level and all states MADE to adopt this. Pronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
She was not at the job. She was on her OWN TIME. On your own time employer has NO right to anything part of what you do and what you don't do.

Do you understand what it means to live in a FREE SOCIETY????? It has the good, the bad and the ugly.

No one, but no one has the right to interfere with your private time. When you are on your private time you are NOT representing your employer or anything or anyone else OTHER THAN YOU AND YOURSELF.
Bingo.

Now, understand, I "snipped" the part about how Subway violated her 1st amendment rights and how "this is a great lawsuit" etc, only because technically speaking that's probably not an accurate assessment of the situation legally speaking. However, it should be. This is where the laws should be changed.

Yes, people got upset and wanted to boycott Subway. I say their expectations are out of whack. They're nutjobs for doing such a thing. I have brains, you see, and I understand that a person can be a total prick on their own time but yet still get done what they need to get done when they have to at work. Heck, I work with the public myself, and I for one can't stand cigarettes and personally think the habit is beyond stupid. However, people buy them at the store I work at and I don't say a thing to them or others in line about it, I do what I need to do and move on. The only 2 times I may be somewhat "firm" with them are if they get upset at me for asking for their ID (state law, not my fault, talk to your legislator if you hate it) or if they get ugly with me when I ask them to clarify exactly which kind they want--it's not my fault that Malboro makes approximately 3,924 different types and that they all look exactly the same to me, and the descriptions on the box, store label and what the customer asks for are all 3 different things. However, that's it--as long as they don't snap at me for not knowing by memory all those varieties and they simply point out the one they want and they don't go off on me for needing their ID, I'm cool with them.

On my own time, though, I most certainly let it be known what a stupid habit I think it is and how ridiculous it is that people go so crazy over them and act like not having a cigarette is akin to having their head held underwater. My time is MY time to do that sort of thing if I want to, REGARDLESS of the fact that by day I have to sell the things willingly with a smile on my face.

By the same token, I can't stand anything Apple sells and sometimes rant about people being "iIdiots," but will happily sell someone an iPhone charger at work. I think it's stupid how people here in east TX act like ice cream starts and stops with Blue Bell, as if it's the only brand at all, to the point that some are trying to buy it even with the listeria recall going on when there are other brands out there in abundance, but when someone asks for it I simply tell them it's not yet available. I may say "I personally will eat whatever doesn't poison me" and do so with a laugh, particularly if they start becoming a bit "chatty" about the topic, but that's it--and it isn't your place as a customer to try and do these "Jedi" tricks to read my mind "gee, what does he REALLY mean with what he's saying" in case you care. I was polite here at work where I needed to be, that's all that should be required.

That people don't seem to understand this, such is why we need laws. Heck, how about employers having to be told that, no, you can't access my Facebook and have my password to do so? Imagine that--here you are, going through the hoops necessary to have your thoughts kept within your "inner circle" vs just having it "all out there" as it were, yet they are STILL trying to read what you write? Maybe it should occur to them that conversations taking place in that realm are not meant for them and that to try and listen in on them is nothing more than wiretapping or eavesdropping in terms of the intent?

Simply enough--stop wiretapping or judging my PERSONAL life. If my PROFESSIONAL life is what it needs to be (and jobs like this, calling them "professional" is a stretch), that's the litmus test. My time is MY time--yes, even if you know about it, it's MY time.

The laws may say otherwise, people's attitudes may say otherwise--THEY'RE WRONG and need to be changed, BOTH of them.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-12-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,807 times
There was a young woman in Texas who was fired from her job before she even started. She posted on FB about starting a crappy new job and someone told the manager and he fired her on FB (or maybe it was Twitter).

Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Stupid people should not be using twitter or any other form of social media. The truth usually comes out.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So just let her starve in the street for saying something stupid on Twitter? The store has reason to fire her, though just once I'd love to see a company stand behind an employee instead of acquiesing to the mob. I didn't come here to defend what this girl said, but the idea of denying welfare to her because of something she said just really brothers me. You say she should not only lose her job, but lose any means of surviving ethically and legally should this tweet cause her to not be hired anywhere when they find out what she wrote. What's to happen to her then?
Why would she go on welfare as the next possible step to losing her job? How about she get another job? I'm sure there is another company out there that would be willing to give her another chance.

Actions have consequences. She didn't just say something stupid, she said something vile. The company has every right to NOT want that sort of thinking associated with their brand.

Would all of you defending her have the same opinion if she'd celebrated the death of a gay person?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How about she get another job? I'm sure there is another company out there that would be willing to give her another chance.
Would you give her a job if you had a company? If no, why would anyone else give her a job? Clearly, she is only qualified to be a minimum wage worker (i.e., likely no education, experience or skills). Why hire her when her name is all over the Internet, and you can easily hire someone else for the same position. Moreover, if you hire her, you and your business will be the target of the Internet outrage mafia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Would all of you defending her have the same opinion if she'd celebrated the death of a gay person?
That happens gazillion times on social media every day. Don't believe me, go do a search. No consequence or outrage unless someone famous or notable is doing it. BTW, I am not defending this lady in any shape or form.
But I also think it ought not be a life sentence of unemployment and death threats. She should be taught a lesson but her "punishment" has to be proportional to her crime (speech).

Mick

Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Cops will be in no hurry to her place next time they are called.
Actually, the funny thing about cops is, they'll probably treat her just like everyone else if she is in trouble and needs a cop.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
She was not at the job. She was on her OWN TIME. On your own time employer has NO right to anything part of what you do and what you don't do.
You need to actually understand what At-Will Employment means. And, she was stupidly wearing a Subway hat and t-shirt in her profile picture.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually, the funny thing about cops is, they'll probably treat her just like everyone else if she is in trouble and needs a cop.
Exactly. When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Is this a just cause??? You want your employers to "Thought Police you?"

Just because you don't like what is being said, in a free society what you say is a personal choice. Whoever does not like it, don't listen. I hope she sues for violation of her 1st Amendment and she won't need food stamps, unemployment, welfare assistance, Subway can pay her freight for the rest of her life.
Let me guess....you two are related??!?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events