Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of those SAE idiots.

Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 12:29 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Most employers would terminate an employee for posting something that will bring negative attention, especially while wearing their uniform.

Bingo!!! No one seems to have common sense these days..

Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's funny you throw "logically" in there as if I'M the one not being logical.

I know you were talking about what SHE did. But NO you were not talking about society you even RIGHT HERE compare her to Geller and claim Geller is doing a "battle cry" as if that's "bad". And what do you mean "purported"? She clearly STATES why. You don't need to read INTO IT.
Did I upset you? All cap words tell the story. I am soooo sorry. Ms. Geller was trying to provoke, get some publicity and get on right wing shows. That's it.

Quote:
She was wrong in Subway's eyes because she was WORKING and:

1) Not supposed to be TWEETING
2) Presenting a negative impression of her employer.
3) Alienating future customers and certainly the ones in that geographic area.

THAT will get you fired everywhere.

ALL SPEECH IS PROTECTED unless it is a very narrowly defined definite threat to another person. Even the worst speech. EVEN celebrating cop killings is PROTECTED. That doesn't mean you can't get fired for it by your EMPLOYER.
What did I say in the above post? I said, "Yes, like I said it elsewhere, if you are an at-will employee you can be fired for any reason not prohibited by law, or for no reason at all. Clearly, I am not talking about what her employer did." Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote:
YES you can get arrested for speech in ENGLAND. NOT HERE.

There's an Islamic guy right now running around on TV claiming Geller needs to go to Sharia Court and get the death penalty. That is FREE SPEECH. Now, if he said "I am going to apply the death penalty onto Geller" that would be NOT free speech because it's a direct death threat.

The girl's speech WAS protected. She's not in jail is she?

OH WAIT. Conservatives were systematically harassed by the GOVERNMENT AGENCIES for their speech.

You are conflating an employee wearing a UNIFORM to Pam Geller having a free speech conference.

HOW are they related?

You fail to logically understand the actions of an employee to the actions of a bunch of citizens gathering in a group to say things.

BUT NEITHER ONE was PUNISHED by the government so what's your complaint again???
Lol. I said "(PS, free speech and First Amendment don't apply if state action is absent)." What do you think that means? Show it to a real lawyer.

Let me break it down. Conservatives were all over the place decrying Pam Geller's right to "free speech" by holding the contest. Per the immediately preceding sentence, that is simply wrong - no governmental body tried to stop her so the First Amendment or free speech did not come into play. So basically, conservatives were using the term "free speech" as though it meant, "I can speak my mind without getting criticized by the open minded people." With me so far, chief?

Conservatives are beside themselves that this lady in MS said horrible things about the slain cops (we all should be). But why isn't she entitled to exercise her "free speech" (as misused in the Geller situation by conservatives)? As in, "Can this lady speak her mind without getting criticized by closed minded people"? Not conflating, just looking for consistency in principle.

Quote:
Perhaps you weren't born in America or socialized or educated here but this this is the very REASON why America was founded. Studying the Constitution may help clarify if this doesn't resonate with you.
Lol, you are adorable when you get personal. Again, you are confused about the need for state action under the First Amendment. Try Googling, there is a nice Cornell Law article on that. Very easy to understand.

Quote:
There are no "limits" or "abuse" of free speech. The WORST POSSIBLE speech MUST be protected.

Just like when Christians are baited with crucifixes in urine or plays mocking Mormons on Broadway sell out to great reviews.

You get to complain about it. But that's ALL you can do. You cannot enact LAWS about it. Even though Liberals and big government Progressives of both parties would love to.
Nice, show me where I said free speech (again, doesn't apply here) needs to be limited? Never said that. Straw man argument.

No limits on free speech? Funny, I learned that there are numerous exceptions, including incitement, false statements of fact, obscenity, fighting words, threats, speech owned by others, and
commercial speech. I think they cover this in GED classes nowadays. Oh, I know, these exceptions were created by the Supreme Court! You wouldn't find it in the pocket edition Constitution from Glen Beck!!

I eagerly await your response. Easy on the all caps next time. Love ya, babe.

Mick

Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Cops will be in no hurry to her place next time they are called.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:14 PM

188 posts, read 209,770 times
Bold words for a Subway employee.

Sorry...EX-employee.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:31 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
I'm sure she was a model employe too

Old 05-11-2015, 02:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Subway worker fired after praising Hattiesburg cop slaying on social media.

So, there are STILL some folks who don't understand posting inflammatory stuff on social media can come back to bite them?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I wonder how she feels about being fired? Does she get it? Would she "get it" if one of those murdered cops was her cousin of friend?

It is pretty sad and guess what lady someday your life will be turned upside down by an accident or crime and Who are you gonna call ?

No, she won't get it. People like her are so far down that path that they are just about damaged beyond repair. She is essentially an extremist spouting approval of terrorist attacks on law enforcement officers. I thought very long and hard about becoming a police officer but a medical issue and dealing with an entire segment of society hating me and basically wanting me dead because I would be wearing a uniform and a badge made me rethink that potential career path.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Why boycott a chain because of the actions of ONE employee? I would only boycott a company, brand, if something I am against is their company policy. One individual does not warrant a boycott.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:58 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,821 times
Random employee at a Pizza Shop answers a loaded question and its DEFCON 5 everywhere.

Anarchist tweets threats of violence and now we're calm cool and collected. No, no lets be rational here we don't need to boycott subway, I love Spicy Italian subs.

Little girls says the wrong thing and a whole state is branded.

Love it people, love it.

I've never boycotted anything in my life and I certainly wouldn't announce it like some twitter account with lipstick. I do enjoy the hypocrisy though, its very amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events