Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Google unschooling, it's a different type of schooling rather than everything being books and writing. It's learning from example and doing. It's a popular style among many homeschoolers. Sorry I had to educate you on that since you didn't know.
I have Googled it. It's not a concept that I agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I have Googled it. It's not a concept that I agree with.
Let me send the memo to all the unschooling homeschooling parents............ I'll get back with you.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:03 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
No heat, no running water and no septic concern me, though.

Mick
Every one of us has millions of ancestors who didn't have these things.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I live in an area with a high number of Amish and Mennonites. THEY live a a simple lifestyle.

Many live off the grid and off the land. Their children are educated via home schooling at home or a local Amish or Mennonite school. They all have houses with plumbing and heat. They make their own clothes and grow most if not all of their own food. They also have large families. No one takes their kids away. Why? They are providing for them!

Making your kids live in a tent without plumbing or a septic/sewer is extremely unhealthy.Get a composting toilet if you're so into Mother Earth.

Fetching your water from a pond is not healthy. Most ponds are full of bacteria and unpleasant things. And by taking a crap in your yard, you just might be contaminating that pond with who knows what!

They're not educating their children. Those children deserve an education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yeah there's more to the story than the article that was posted in the OP's opening thread. Sounds like a lot more!

I've been to Kentucky and in some areas there are numerous shacks/shanties people are living in. You don't hear the state taking those kids away. Why? They parents are providing for them! They have heat, WALLS, a roof, etc. And those children are being educated. The parents aren't abusing their children either. They're just poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The Amish stop at a 6th grade level of education...
Not all churches stop at 6th grade. The Amish take care of their own. They have businesses and farms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There are places like Alaska, where many people still live off the grid and it's considered completely normal.
Google the population of Alaska and Kentucky. Then Google their land mass and water mass. Alaska has cleaner water because no one lives there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The family has a Facebook blog: https://www.facebook.com/MyBlessedLi...stead/timeline, hence they're really not off the grid and hiding. The kids look clean, well fed and happy. They don't live in a tent but in a cabin and are in the process of building a bigger one.
Yeah how are you off the grid if you have Facebook and post regularly? Just wondering.

There are photos from the news channel that show something like a tent...Vertical sticks with huge gaps in them for "walls" and a tarp for a roof. That's a tent not a cabin. I've stayed in many cabins in the mountains in NC and NY and they ALL had an actual roof made from roofing materials and walls. Even log cabins don't have 2 gaps between logs.

And both parents have been arrested now. Way to set an example for your children!

CPS is not going to release all of the details of the case. There are minors involved. They are still investigating. And quite frankly, it's none of our business.

I find it incredibly sad that this family lives in the wealthiest nation in the world, yet they don't even have the basics such as running water and toilets by choice. I have friends who live off the grid and they have running water, toilets, heat, walls, and a roof.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Making your kids live in a tent without plumbing or a septic/sewer is extremely unhealthy.Get a composting toilet if you're so into Mother Earth.

They're not educating their children. Those children deserve an education.

This family uses a composting toilet.

They are homeschooling the kids.

We don't know the details as of yet, but why did you assume they were crapping in the yard and not educating?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I find it incredibly sad that this family lives in the wealthiest nation in the world, yet they don't even have the basics such as running water and toilets by choice. I have friends who live off the grid and they have running water, toilets, heat, walls, and a roof.
I'm curious as to how your off grid friends have running water? Obviously they are not connected to city water and it takes power to operate a pump/well. I guess they could use a cistern type unit but it still needs pressure to move the water. I'm not doubting you, just wonder how it's possible?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I am very frightened for my country, not to mention the people who don't see government grossly over-stepping its authority.
The problem here is that everyone wants to tell everyone else how to parent there kids. While one group will be outraged by this that same group might applaud what happened in Maryland. We have this obesession with children in this country that leas us to not think objectively about children.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I'm not against living off the grid, but there are ways to do so in a clean, sanitary, safe and comfortable manner.

I'm not usually for CPS taking kids, but honestly, I'm not against it in this situation.

If they had a neat, clean, yet simple cabin for these children to live in -- with or without electricity and running water -- I might support them.

The pictures of this place are disgusting. Anyone who thinks that is a decent place to raise a child -- much less 10, going on 11 -- is crazy or defending them for the sake of it.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why not?

That's what "parents" and the "gov" are best at here!

Kids are bullied because parents don't parent
Parents don't parent because they don't want CPS at their doors
No maternity leave to speak off
Kids learn to keep up with the Jonses early on...6 year old: "But mommy, Kathy has an iPhone/iPad/Insert other tablet here____________!"
We are offered "BLINDERS" at grocery stores when we ask that they move the sleazy magazines elsewhere and not place them on the conveyor belt side where we try to get our kid to help out with the groceries
We are constantly reminded of how bad we are for not breastfeeding
Those who breastfeed aren't allowed to do it publicly apparently
Baby sitters cost an arm and a leg
Daycares cost more than RENT or MORTGAGE so most work just to pay that and have nothing left to save or travel or do anything enriching their INTELLECT
Certain disabilities are not covered by health insurance policies
Stay at home moms have NO RESPECT or get any financial help when looking to get a different degree
Stay at home moms are not welcomed back to work; they have to start back out on minimum wage; few exceptions from that rule exist.
We're expected to pay for our kids college too
We can;t take our kids to see the arts because the cost is too prohibitive for those with more than one kid.
We have to put up with this push for sports non stop, while everything else is MOCKED by BOTH other parents and their children.
We have to listen to how NOT to teach our kids being FAT is wrong, and UNHEALTHY, and how we should encourage big butts(Meghan Trainor has an HYMN to that as well)
Everything is a freaking disorder; ohh, your child is overactive, let's give him some RITALIN!
Teens apparently are so uneducated and interested in anything intellectual that their hang out is the many, many, many MALLS!
SHOPPING is encouraged as EARLY AS 5 YEARS OLD. I got a survey from DISNEY asking what my 5 year's shopping habits were!

Should I go on?
If you hate being a parent so much, why did you have kids?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
If you hate being a parent so much, why did you have kids?
He isn't saying that, he's bemoaning how others try to lecture you or put ridiculous expectations on HOW to parent.

And he's right.

It's nobody's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events