Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

From the white teen who filmed it,

Brandon Brooks, who shot and uploaded the video of the officer, later identified by multiple reports as Cpl. Eric Casebolt, told BuzzFeed News, “I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don’t live in the neighborhood were in the pool.” Brooks said that many of the children at the party were at the pool on guest passes or had entered by jumping the fence.

When the police arrived, Brooks, who is white, said, “Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic,” he said. “[The cop] didn’t even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible.”

Cop pulls gun: Did police overreact at Texas pool party? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

Yup nothing to do with race...
I was in college in the Sixties. All us educated White kids would have been laying down along with the other kids. We really believed "If you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem." There was cooperation and solidarity. It wasn't about you, Black - me, White. It was about making some changes so we all could live in peace.

What we've got today is whining and bickering. Feels like we wasted our time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Whether they are Section 8 or not is irrelevant. If they live there, they live there. Some people just need to put down others to feel better about themselves. Just like those that look down on renters, some trash like this woman needs to point out she's better than other people in whatever way she can.
Reportedly, the sponsoring family did not make arrangements for the party.
The HOA limits private parties to 20 guests.

The sponsor promoted the party on social media and used the event to promote her event planning business. Some were hopping the fence to bypass security.

The officer who lost it was initially the sole officer on the scene and had been herding cats for 45 minutes before he took bikini girl down. Some left. Some would not leave. Some left and returned. People were running their mouths.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I was in college in the Sixties. All us educated White kids would have been laying down along with the other kids. We really believed "If you aren't part of the solution you're part of the problem." There was cooperation and solidarity. It wasn't about you, Black - me, White. It was about making some changes so we all could live in peace.

What we've got today is whining and bickering. Feels like we wasted our time.
I don't really care about all these other side issues. The core of this to me is how that officer handled this situation. He deserves every criticism and I do believe he was motivated by racial bias.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, the sponsoring family did not make arrangements for the party.
The HOA limits private parties to 20 guests.

The sponsor promoted the party on social media and used the event to promote her event planning business. Some were hopping the fence to bypass security.

The officer who lost it was initially the sole officer on the scene and had been herding cats for 45 minutes before he took bikini girl down. Some left. Some would not leave. Some left and returned. People were running their mouths.
So that justifies his behavior? No.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Sad story all the way around.

My gut feel is that the pool party got out of hand with more guests than the organizers ever expected to show up. Large groups of teens of any color can be very boisterous and even disrespectful at such an event.

I think the officer who pulled his gun was overreacting in general, but I also realize that he felt threatened. He was definitely outnumbered.

That being said, every video I've seen of the kids involved indicates to me that these are middle class kids who probably just expected a fun day at a pool party - nothing more sinister.

As a middle aged white woman, I can empathize with the feelings of residents who were alarmed by the sheer number of teens suddenly converging on the area - and I'm pretty sure they weren't listening to Oscar and Hammerstein soundtracks. My next door neighbors have a pool and sometimes in the summer, their teens have pool parties that seem to last all day and well into the night, and they're just not quiet events - there is music and rowdiness and occasionally it interferes with my quiet evenings on the patio - and that's only 4 or 5 kids at a time. 100 kids? TOO MANY - and that's why that size of event is against the HOA regulations in the McKinney subdivision.

There is some fault all the way around and I wish wish wish that people would focus on their own actions rather than those of others. Most of these scenarios would rectify themselves if people would do that.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The video I saw show the cop going after bikini girl when she finally Was going away. If the cop had done something when all the girls were refusing to leave, you might have a point. Unless she yelled back that she was getting a weapon or something manacing, the cop had no good reason for what he did at that time,
Other videos show bikini girl was told to leave many times. She walked to the street and kept returning, running her mouth.

Cop over reacted/ snapped. He had been herding cats for 45 minutes before taking bikini girl down.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:14 AM

477 posts, read 840,918 times
Here is what is gonna happen in this country.

1. People are looking for every single mistake a police office makes to hang him publically.

2. Police officers will be afraid to do their job because they fear that the first little mistake might cost them their job or even their freedom

3. All good police officers will quit their job or not do their job correctly to avoid getting themselves in a bad situation

4. There will be no good cops out there to protect the public from bad people

5. Crime will skyrocket

6. Everybody (including the people that were looking for every single mistake a police officer makes) will cry for the police to help just to find out there is nobody to help them.

7. Then they will find somebody else to blame for that situation

The stupidity is just mind blowing. Let the police do their job. I am sure almost every cop is doing his job for the right reasons and is trying his/her best. There are always some bad apples but that is the case everywhere you look.
People that want to portay cops as racist and brutal are really playing with fire. But then again they might not care.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Here is what is gonna happen in this country.

1. People are looking for every single mistake a police office makes to hang him publically.

2. Police officers will be afraid to do their job because they fear that the first little mistake might cost them their job or even their freedom

3. All good police officers will quit their job or not do their job correctly to avoid getting themselves in a bad situation

4. There will be no good cops out there to protect the public from bad people

5. Crime will skyrocket

6. Everybody (including the people that were looking for every single mistake a police officer makes) will cry for the police to help just to find out there is nobody to help them.

7. Then they will find somebody else to blame for that situation

The stupidity is just mind blowing.
Nope won't happen. But in some places they are probably going to have to pay officers a lot more to be able to recruit. But don't kid yourself there is plenty of blame to lay on shoddy police practices and rogue cops.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
No, not at all. The core of the problem was a police officer who handled the situation terribly and escalated what should have been a quick easily handled situation by the police. You come in, get your report, shut down the party, make any arrests if necessary, then do some basic crowd control. These weren't the Watts riots.
The office in question became the lead story because of his unprofessional conduct. However, this doesn't excuse the fact the daughter/mother blatantly disregarded the HOA rules and put on a pool party without asking permission.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Nope won't happen. But in some places they are probably going to have to pay officers a lot more to be able to recruit.
Perhaps they should put that money toward proper screenings, training and counseling to make sure they don't go nuclear like Mr. Casebolt did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events