Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 AM

16,694 posts, read 8,695,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Racist white conservatives use the term interchangably with "black". They call Obama, Neil Degrasse Tyson and Denzel Washington "thugs" since its their name for black people and lots of websites filter out that name they prefer to use for blacks.
Well if your tripe were accurate then what label would you put on white liberals who use the term?
What about black liberals who use it?

Don't forget that recently both the black female mayor of Baltimore and the black male president (both of whom are uber liberal) used the term thug as well.
What do you infer and assume about them?

Lastly, your absurd assumption that racists use the word thug instead of n igger because the forum censor filters out derogatory racial pejoratives, is also weak sauce.

Let's see how many other stereotypical racial slurs toward blacks are prohibited which would render the word thug the only remaining choice;

spear chucker
coon
porch monkey
spook
coon
etc.

How about for other races or religions;

mic
wop
wet back
honky
camel jockey
shylock
polock
slope head

Look at that, my preview feature shows that all sorts of pegoritives can be used by racists. So that kind of blows your liberal rant out of the water, doesn't it?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,930,765 times
if ya don't want to be labeled a thug, don't behave like or hang out with, a thug...

seems simple to those with basic common sense...so maybe 5% of the population apparently...sigh

Old 06-12-2015, 09:59 AM

6,469 posts, read 9,848,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
if ya don't want to be labeled a thug, don't behave like or hang out with, a thug...

seems simple to those with basic common sense...so maybe 5% of the population apparently...sigh

Common sense doesn't fit the baiters agenda.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I like hooligans myself.
Scalawag is my word of choice.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,066,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It is if you're a con. Look no further than this or the politics forum.
I would say look no further than your imagination. Because what you say is not true.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thug is conveniently used here by some to deliberately provoke and incite, without having to use racially derogatory terms.

It's a sly and backhanded way of venting and getting your licks into a particular racial group, without getting outright trouble with the mods.

So transparent even an infant could see what's going on.

Where I grew up, which was about 98% white, thug was used to describe white thugs all the time.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,584,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Scalawag is my word of choice.
I hope you don't pronounce it that way!

Its Scallywag

Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,258,103 times
I love the word "thug".

I read some young teenage rage girl described as a "vicious little thug" who shouldnt be treated any differently because she was a pretty young thang, and it was so apt!

Old 06-12-2015, 03:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,387,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post

The word tool seems appropriate sometimes. Just sayin'.

You missed the point of this thread entirely.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,705,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
According to Websters, "Thug" has been in used for 204 years.
WaldoKitty sent us on the right path: Thugs have been around for about ever.

Websters notwithstanding, the thugs have been around for centuries.

And race? Turns out they are Indian. (Like, next door to Pakistan kind of Indian.)

The thugs were first written about circa 1665 (in Thevenot's Voyages). They were also called the Phansigars (stranglers) owing to their brutal form of robbery followed by murder by strangulation. The OED also notes their names as Thags, Thegs, Thugges and Thugge (sing.). I believe they were finally done in by the British/Indian government during the 1800s, but until their demise, they were highway robbers par excellence, known for also murdering their victims.

Mia Bloom, a noted academic in the field of terrorism, has quite a history on them in her next-to-latest book, Dying to Kill: The Allure of Suicide Terrorism. (New York: Columbia University Press, 2005) pgs. 4-5, 11, and 203 fn-11. Mia cites their history as going back 2,500 years, though I am unable to find any other source that says so. (I'll ask her next time I see her.)

So thank you WK for the clues - a thug refers only to a highway robber and murderer; the race was south Asian-Indian, and anything else is merely recent construct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events