Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She has REPEATEDLY reported to the police she is a victim of hate crimes. The most recent involved letters placed in her PO box that have no stamp nor markings of being processed through the postal service. She once filed a report of a noose hanging on her property. ALL of her reported hate crimes have not once found the culprit.
Exactly. Crimes that would be non-issues if she wasn't "black".

Pretending to be black isn't the issue. It's pretending to be a victim of a hate crime, when in fact there was not such crime AT ALL, that is the issue.

But, I guess when there aren't any real hate crimes being committed, an activist has got to take the bull by the horns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:00 PM

520 posts, read 533,006 times
No pretending to be black is a problem. It means shes bat sh* crazy.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:12 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,825,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Photograph of the NAACP founders W.E.B. Dubois, unnamed woman and Mary White Ovington, Lillian Alexander, and J.F. Springarn.
This is Joel E. Spingarn, one of the NAACP founders. He was Caucasian.

Joel Elias Spingarn

Old 06-12-2015, 02:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Is her mother Puerto Rican? If yes, then she is partly Hispanic (you didn't mention what her father is) no matter what she looks likes or what you think she should look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hispanics can be of any race and their features vary widely. Same as Blacks. If she has part Hispanic ancestry, she can call herself Hispanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Exactly. Hispanic is an ethnicity. Black, White, Asian, etc are races.
Then I'm Hispanic, too. I want a free education. From what I understand, you don't have to prove it. I've applied to college before - there is no way you can actually prove your race or ethnicity. If you don't look remotely Hispanic, or black, or whatever, they don't question you, clearly. So I'll check the box next time I apply to a university! Maybe I'll apply just so I can get free schooling. Gotta love America.

Adios.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM

I listed myself as a "Native American" once when I applied for a job at one of my hometown's largest employers 20 or so years ago. I really thought I had some of that ancestry, but it ain't so.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:23 PM

244 posts, read 248,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
OBAMA lied about his race...he was raised in Hawaii by WHITE grandparents, his momma was white, his life is Hawaii was PRIVILEDGED, BEST SCHOOL ON THE ISLAND, COST THE SAME AS COLLEGE TUITION, and yet the only thing he "admits to or connects to" is being a pooor, underprivileged black kid who lived a life of hard knocks and pulled himself up from nothing to POTUS....what the hell is the difference?????

SHE and her lies do a LOT less damage to the rest of the world.....
Lawdy, Miss Paka, you finna give dem ole bones a hearty tack!

But seriously...being biracial is hardly some magical barrier against prejudice, bigotry and racism, even in Hawaii, even in the better neighborhoods. Certainly - and sadly - having a white "momma" has not stopped the portrayal of President Obama as a cotton-pickin' subhuman or a jungle-dwelling monkey at various hard-right "news" sites, blogs and forums.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Is it possible the lady in question decided to become "black" because she thought it was the best way to help the race?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:31 PM

110 posts, read 123,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I can't claim to be exceptional, because it was my white, Southern parents who raised me to be appalled by racism. Go, Atticus Finch! But I do thank them for raising me right and instilling respect for other cultures and races from my birth as a red faced, squirming, tow headed screaming little white baby till adulthood.

I am a younger Boomer - but there are lots and lots of younger Boomers. Like I said, I was raised predominately in the South, and from the second grade on, in every southern state we lived in (Virginia, NC, AL, GA) classrooms and schools were totally integrated. I never once in my life saw a "whites only" establishment or sign - not in AL, TN, GA, LA, AR, NC, VA or TX (the southern states I lived in as a child).

My brother is adopted from Korea. The first time I recall ever getting in any trouble as a kid, and my dad yelling at me, was when I was chasing my "new" brother around and around the car in the church parking lot, and I started calling him the N word - because I didn't know what it meant but I had heard it (this was while we lived in Japan, to clarify - so no one thinks I heard the N word casually while living in the American south - in our home and in the circles in which we existed, that was a very low class word to use). My dad showed up out of nowhere and the next thing I knew he had my chin clenched in his hand and his face up in mine and he was saying fiercely, "I better not ever - EVER - hear that word come out of your mouth again, little lady!"

My first lunch box had a picture of Julia the nurse on it. Remember her? The African American woman who had the TV show playing a nurse? This had to be back in about 1970. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_(TV_series) I loved that show because I loved the whole idea of being a nurse, and it didn't even register with me that her skin was a darker color than mine.

Just to put a different perspective on things.

Oh man, I LOVED Julia!! I had a Julia Barbie doll! As a fellow white boomer, who also grew up in the south, I salute your good taste in TV shows and lunch boxes!!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:33 PM

There have been at least a couple of famous whites in the past who identified with the culture of another race.

1. "Iron Eyes Cody" - born in Louisiana to Sicilian immigrants (he was the "crying Indian" in the famous 1970s anti-pollution commercial).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

2. Johnny Otis - Rhythm and blues bandleader, the son of Greek immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Otis

Old 06-12-2015, 02:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,010,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I listed myself as a "Native American" once when I applied for a job at one of my hometown's largest employers 20 or so years ago. I really thought I had some of that ancestry, but it ain't so.
Well, many Americans (especially Southerners whose families have been here for centuries) believe they have Native American ancestry because they have been told they do by relatives for generations. Most people who claim Native American ancestry actually do not have it at all. It just doesn't make sense for that many Americans to be part Native American since the majority of the native population was killed off after colonization, so few Native Americans are left today and even at the time, and because Native Americans were seen largely as undesirable and barbaric, savage-like - hence the fact they were forced out of their lands and westward. Most colonizers and early Americans did not want contact with them unless they were Americanized, and even then there was a stigma. Life then wasn't like the Thanksgiving scene we learned about and saw illustrations of in elementary school, with the pilgrims and natives together laughing sharing a meal, getting along.

But your situation is different than blatantly lying about it. I mean, you really thought you were part Native American. Even if just a small part, you believed you were. You weren't being deceptive and creating a web of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events