Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 AM

258 posts, read 157,595 times

Advertisements

In any case, it's pretty easy to agree that a) Ms. Dolezal is a complete fraud and b)it's a brilliant piece of performance art.

Honestly, I salute her. Given the sketchy nature of so many nonprofits and advocacy groups, you can't have too many scalliwags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:48 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You know, I wondered about that aspect too. They had to have known this was going to create some serious social stigma for their child. Most parents do everything they can to spare their child from that level of pain, not be the creators of it. What exactly was their end game? It certainly wasn't to mend any broken fences.
I wonder if they thought it would come out anyway, or maybe she did something to anger them or make them think that this fake game had to stop? I wonder if someone found out the truth and confronted them?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know someone who married into my family, a more distant cousin we see maybe once a year, who apparently (according to her) is Puerto Rican. She's as white as my Irish and German-American mother, and actually blonde - which my mother is not. She has an English-sounding name. But apparently her mother is Puerto Rican. Because she claimed she is Hispanic, she is currently enrolled in a doctoral program for paleontology for free at a university out West (wish I could remember where - again, we don't see them much). She told us last time we saw her in January, without any shame, that because she checked off "Hispanic" or whatever the hell it is, she got a free ride into this program. Then proceeded to praise affirmative action programs. I was stunned because she's whiter than I am - half Italian, quarter Irish, quarter German-American me. I'm not even sure I believe that she is part Puerto Rican. I know - Puerto Ricans can be white because of colonization - but when you think Puerto Rican, or Hispanic, do you not think of certain characteristics? Certain cultural attributes? I know I do. And she doesn't fit them even slightly.
Just an FYI the original islanders of Puerto Rico were fair skinned with light hair with blue and green eyes. The different "shades" of color within the Puerto Rican community come from multicultural reproduction with Indians, Africans, etc.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
90% of the stuff they run on the national 24 hour news cycle isn't newsworthy. That's why I rarely watch cable news.
Slight off subject: 'Way back in the early 80s, a producer on a new 24/7 news channel told me: "BS is better than static."

Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
It seems like she couldn't feel black unless she took on the exclusionary views that really only a black person could have. Those views may have helped her feel accepted as a "real" black woman. And let's face it, if she isn't part of the struggle (getting racist letters, etc), people may say she didn't truly know how it was to be black because she could easily pass for a white woman. This story could unravel the frame work of the world she created for herself - I think someone should at least get her some counseling or an evaluation. I could see a swift life changing event such as this causing someone to hurt themselves.
And that is called "looking at the game from the other side of the board." (Said with a big obvious presumption on my part)

Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Reading through the latest of this thread, I can see there are still some people who think that how she chooses to identity is the problem people have with her, rather than her lies and fraud. How thick are you?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
What does it matter? I thought we were supposed to judge people by their actions, not the color of their skin.
And that is a dilemma faced by the NAACP. They have to make sure that any adverse action they might take against this woman is fully understood as a matter of her deceit, not her race.

One would think that should be obvious--white people have always held high offices in the NAACP from its very inception. But the enemies of the NAACP would ignore that and claim "Hypocrites!" in a heartbeat.

In fact, that was done early in this very topic before the NAACP had even made a statement about the matter.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know. I'm not even talking about her in that post. All I'm saying is that we often cannot look at a person and base our assumptions about their ethnic background on their looks alone.
There is a woman in my wife's church group (we currently attend a predominantly--but by no means exclusively--black church) who my wife thought was white (with a black husband) for a long time until she'd had a chance to get a good look at the auburn "baby hair" at the woman's temples and noted that the short hair had the characteristically Afroid "nappy" texture. That made her go, "Hmmm."

But in fact, the woman had never presented herself as white--that had been my wife's initial presumption. As they got to know each other better, the woman identifies herself as black. Moreover, the woman has confided in my wife at that point that she has met with a great deal of disfavor from both blacks and whites because she appears to be a white woman pretending to be black.

Even when black people realize she's really black, there are some (self-haters) who criticize her for identifying with black when she could be passing for white. She would never be able to pass for white, however, without permanently denying her own black parents and siblings.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:19 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Why would her parents ever snitch on her?

Such a thing as family loyalty, and it isn't like her not "being black" was causing a problem to public safety or anything. I could see a parent dropping a dime on someone practicing surgery without a license, but in this case, the employer, the NAACP, was the responsible party to verify the woman's credentials.
Maybe her parents are sick of her pathological lying and her claiming their child ( children ) as her own? Parents can only take so much for so long from their adult children. Maybe they want her to get mental health treatment and since they have no contact with her thought public shaming would be the ticket?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:25 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Maybe her parents are sick of her pathological lying and her claiming their child ( children ) as her own? Parents can only take so much for so long from their adult children. Maybe they want her to get mental health treatment and since they have no contact with her thought public shaming would be the ticket?
Yeah because public shaming is so effective for people with mental health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events