Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 10:29 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,142,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What you said was

OK, so not ONLY but THE VAST MAJORITY. Gotcha.
I know what I said and I'll glad you are able to read and understand things correctly now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
More hypocrisy from RD:

It just keeps getting funnier and funnier. I really don't know whether to laugh or cry, but the laughing part keeps winning out! LOL!!
Woman needs to move to another country, change her identity and forget this ever happened. I could never show my face to people I interact with daily if caught up in a lie like this.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Trying to read through pages and pages of this since I last read, I wonder if some (many?) people of African American ancestry find this woman's actions insulting? It's one thing to have empathy, and to work for a common good. It's another to pretend to have walked in someone else's shoes when you haven't.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Trying to read through pages and pages of this since I last read, I wonder if some (many?) people of African American ancestry find this woman's actions insulting? It's one thing to have empathy, and to work for a common good. It's another to pretend to have walked in someone else's shoes when you haven't.
Surely there are many. This woman has the ability to "turn off" her blackness when she wants. If tomorrow she decides to go live in a white yuppie suburb - she can be accepted and receive all the "advantages" of being white. For most that are actually black, they don't have this option. It's like someone that fakes being handicapped to receive government assistance/scholarships/parking spaces, etc. If I'm truly confined to a wheelchair, I'd find the faker offensive - they can change their mind if things get tough and live in the able bodied world.

If I'm black, out of respect to those born into the struggle, I'd want this woman to apologize and stop the charade.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You've already told us, though, that your parents were always exceptional. As a military brat, my own upbringing was less common--because only a tiny minority of kids are military brats. You and I both have to recognize that our personal experiences are not representative of what was going on overall.
Right but personal experiences also teach us things, and one of the things it taught me is a lesson that every child of our generation was exposed to and that is that we shouldn't judge people by the color of their skin, but instead by the content of their character.

Personal experience taught me that we should take responsibility for our own actions. That's another pretty common sense lesson.

Maturity taught me that a victim mentality is detrimental to one's overall wellbeing and interpersonal relationships - not to mention irritating to others. More common sense - nothing exceptional.

Another unexceptional lesson that I learned - one that is the core of many civilizations over the expanse of time - was "Treat others like you want to be treated yourself."

And here's another unexceptional lesson - "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."

You just apply these principles - none of which are particularly unusual - to all relationships in your life and guess what - race relations become pretty uncomplicated and relationships in general become a lot less fraught with drama.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,837,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right but personal experiences also teach us things, and one of the things it taught me is a lesson that every child of our generation was exposed to and that is that we shouldn't judge people by the color of their skin, but instead by the content of their character.
And the point I was making is that the bulk of the Boomer Generation was taught precisely the opposite...and that we are the last generation that got that social lesson.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:42 AM

13,838 posts, read 8,059,821 times
O.k. say she apologizes and steps down for her position in the NAACP/University can she still identify as being Black? If a man can identify as a woman or a woman a man why can`t someone say White or Asian identify as African-American?

The left is trying to get rid of this woman as fast as they can. The last thing they want is to see is the government racial spoils system potentially open to manipulation.

Last edited by john3232; 06-15-2015 at 07:02 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And the point I was making is that the bulk of the Boomer Generation was taught precisely the opposite...and that we are the last generation that got that social lesson.
And the point I was making is that any Baby Boomer who didn't hear that lesson had to have had their head buried in the sand.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:01 AM

13,838 posts, read 8,059,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
...This woman has the ability to "turn off" her blackness when she wants. If tomorrow she decides to go live in a white yuppie suburb - she can be accepted and receive all the "advantages" of being white. For most that are actually black, they don't have this option.
Yes, but say an African-American or Asian-American decides he or she strongly identifies as being White?

Shouldn't they be allowed to regardless of what we think?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Yes, but say an African-American or Asian-American decides he or she strongly identifies as being White?

Shouldn't they be allowed to regardless of what we think?
Oh my gosh. Do people still not get what has folks torqued off about this woman? It's not that she self identifies as African American - it's that she has lied about her ethnic background, her childhood, her parents, her upbringing, her "son," her "father," her alleged abuse and the alleged hate crimes against her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events