Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
^Indeed. They had to find a bogeyman to blame.

If society truly became color blind, then NAACP would have no reason to exist.

Delicious example of an organization that absolutely does not want what it advocates for.
Actually I called you, but I'm not surprised you missed that.

Do you really expect any organization could or should keep anyone on staff who had lied so completely about her background?

It wasn't a matter of race--the NAACP has from its inception had whites in high positions--it was a matter of the deceit.

But it doesn't surprise me that you'd construe it as a matter of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Honestly, I have not paid much attention to the story. This is what I'm seeing. There have been Black women throughout American history who have tried to look as non-Black as possible. There have been Black women bleaching their skin to look as light as possible, putting hair extensions in,etc. No one has batted an eye at this. In fact, a Black woman wearing her own natural hair is considered adventurous. With this story about Rachel Dolezal, it is taken as the equivalent of being mentally ill. Same goes for the woman who tanned herself to the point where she looked very dark. Think about the message being sent in society.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:57 AM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
There are no advantages to being black in this country, so her reasons for doing this are an interesting psychological study.

Apparently, it's been advantageous to her in terms of selling her art, working in "civil rights" and getting interviewed, publishing, etc. Not sure if people'd be so impressed with a white girl from Montana working for the NAACP. She'd obviously seen & heard enough coming up through college that she decided being black was advantageous FOR HER.

It's not hard to understand someone completely submerging themselves in black culture once they have gotten familiar with it. The culture is full of extraordinary people of great compassion, depth, intelligence, genius, pizzazz, and character. Maybe she identified with this on a deep level. It's an interesting study, and I wish her well.
I agree and she could have been one of those extraordinary people. Now she'll just be the punchline of internet joke & fodder for late night TV for a few weeks. She'll have her 15-minutes of fame as the object of speculation and ridicule, then she will disappear into middle-class (white) obscurity.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:59 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Honestly, I have not paid much attention to the story. This is what I'm seeing. There have been Black women throughout American history who have tried to look as non-Black as possible. There have been Black women bleaching their skin to look as light as possible, putting hair extensions in,etc. No one has batted an eye at this. In fact, a Black woman wearing her own natural hair is considered adventurous. With this story about Rachel Dolezal, it is taken as the equivalent of being mentally ill. Same goes for the woman who tanned herself to the point where she looked very dark. Think about the message being sent in society.
Y'know, actually blacks passing for white has traditionally been portrayed in this society as a mental illness that always ultimately led to their dissolution. Check out, for instance, either the 1934 or 1959 version of "Imitation of Life."

Old 06-15-2015, 12:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you really expect any organization could or should keep anyone on staff who had lied so completely about her background?
You, nor anyone else, has explained the lie. So no, you did not "call me".

Old 06-15-2015, 12:03 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Y'know, actually blacks passing for white has traditionally been portrayed in this society as a mental illness that always ultimately led to their dissolution. Check out, for instance, either the 1934 or 1959 version of "Imitation of Life."
I'm not talking specifically about "passing for White". I'm specifically talking about doing things like skin bleaching and replacing one's hair. Now, as far as passing for White, in that movie it was portrayed as a problem. However, in the larger media as a whole, how many stories were done and blow up in the media about Blacks passing for White?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
All jokes aside, I actually feel bad for her. If she wants to be black, let her be black. I don't see the harm.

.......... The jokes have been great though. The people who have been missing out on the hilarious jokes by taking this story seriously don't know what they've been missing out on.
The jokes pretty much write themselves with this one.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:13 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
The woman did not tell any lies.

There are absolutely no "tests" for race in the USA. They were all made illegal long ago. It it perfectly legal and OK for anyone to claim they belong to ANY race.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You, nor anyone else, has explained the lie. So no, you did not "call me".
The question is, why did it take so long for someone to question her background?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:15 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Actually I called you, but I'm not surprised you missed that.

It wasn't a matter of race--the NAACP has from its inception had whites in high positions--it was a matter of the deceit.

But it doesn't surprise me that you'd construe it as a matter of race.
Nor does it surprise anyone else in this thread.

This has nothing to do with her being white, and has everything to do with the flat out deceit, the monetary and professional gain she received by it, the unnecessary hell she's going to put her loved ones through and the potential legal ramifications as a result of potentially lying about hate crimes against her.

Any organization in this position would be foolish not to cut ties with that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events