Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
She will have a problem finding any place to work after this fiasco.

But she brought it upon herself. Very Sad.
and it's not just a light rain anymore.. It's starting to pour.

Rachel Dolezal's Artwork Is Not Only Problematic, It Might Be Plagiarized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
J. Edgar Hoover is the most successful passer of all time. The camera doesn't lie. He was a brotha through and through. Lol
Nope..its this lady:

Varina Davis,wife of the Confederate President Jefferson Davis

The irony
Attached Thumbnails
Parents say NAACP leader passed herself as black for years-images-81-.jpg  

Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1964 is the cutoff according to the US Census Bureau. That's always what I heard growing up as well. I was born in 1962. I'm not saying that there aren't marked differences between those born in 1945 and 1964 but still - that's the BBer generation officially, so there you have it.

Like I said, I was born in 1962. My brother was born in 1972. I have much more in common actually with BBers that I know, than with my brother and his peers. There was such a marked difference in our experiences growing up that often he seems more like my child or a much younger cousin than like a sibling. Seems like a completely different generation.
I have to wonder if your experience had something to do with being in rural Georgia in addition to the year, because I grew up in a suburb of Atlanta and although I am a few years older than you I remember that as a much more ambiguous time than what you described.

There was no singing and celebrating segregation in the schools in my area. Most parents(probably on both sides)were concerned about their children having to get up at 5 am to be bussed across town to segregate schools. I don't know how valid that concern was and actually think it may have happened more frequently in northern states.

Anyhow, we were told "Don't bother them and they wont bother you."

The reality was that in 1969 my elementary school was integrated with 1 black child. And, the next year when I went to high school there were more, but not a lot. And there was little to no interaction between the two groups. The high school actually began declining as white parents were able to afford to take their kids out and send them to private schools. Absent community support the high school closed was closed a few years ago.

Our families were not socializing with black families and it had not even become fashionable to say you weren't prejudiced because you had a black "friend" from work or somewhere else.

In fact, the neighborhood I lived in had a restriction on for sale signs on properties expressly for keeping black families out. People sold word of mouth to keep the neighborhood white.

The only black people I knew up close and personal were the ones I saw when I visited my Grandparents in rural SC. But, again that was ambiguous. They were housekeepers or handymen or landscaping help. But, the housekeeper ate lunch at the same table with us and when she had to bring her children we played together as there were no other children around for miles. When one of them died, my Grandmother went to the funeral home viewings to "pay her respects" Knowing what I know now, my guess is these black people were either descendants of the slaves my own family or other families in the area owned. In other words, their lives had been entertwined for many years and their was a symbiotic relationship born of necessity on both sides.

Still it was very clear that we were not of the same social class. In fact, my Grandmother and my father both used the N word frequently until at least we began admonishing my father for using it. We would not have been allowed to admonish my grandmother.

I suspect that most baby boomers especially of southern origins experience was more like mine than yours.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:34 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,524 times
Looks like EWU is not renewing her Adjunct contract for another Semester. She's been an Adjunct out at EWU since 2010, her profile incorrectly (i.e. another lie stated she was a "Professor"). School has taken her profile down.

EWU | Africana Studies Program

Old 06-15-2015, 04:52 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Okay, up until this point, I was laughing at all of her "victimized by the MAN" stories, but faking cancer isn't cool.

She's taking the "empathy" thing a bit too far now.

Well, she's WHITE, so she'll be making millions from this now and can go back to suburban white mom status.

Believe it or not, there are many urban blogs calling her a "double agent" mocking the culture, but I don't believe that. A part of me really believes she wishes she was black. Not a crime, but her way of going about it was....doing too much.
I agree. I think she really hates that she is white. Truly hates being white which is probably why she tried to pull this charade. I also believe she wanted to help the black cause but went about it in a terrible way.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
did anyone see the news that her white older Professor brother is alleged to have molested a child,and the parents are getting back at Rachel for believing the victim?
I did NOT see that on the news. Is there a link?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Anyone see this? So evidently she didn't tell Howard University she was black. She sued them for racial discrimination. I can only assume she identified as white then.

Rachel Dolezal: Ex-NAACP Chapter President Once Sued Howard University

Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Also anyone see this? Ridiculous.... Extremely hypocritical.

Rachel Dolezal, Sunday update: Reports from inside her race and culture college courses. Also, Rob Lowe jumps in - Salon.com

ETA here is the original article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/tamerragriff...nic#.rteeROB5R

Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I linked that in an earlier post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Baby_boom
Your link states 1946-1964. Scroll to United States, first sentence.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
She's a nut job. BUT I DO wonder what she did to make her parents "out" her. Strange family.
Maybe they didn't take kindly to her wild stories of them beating her with a baboon whip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events