Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 07:10 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,829,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right but personal experiences also teach us things, and one of the things it taught me is a lesson that every child of our generation was exposed to and that is that we shouldn't judge people by the color of their skin, but instead by the content of their character.
Go back there then. The person who said that was--as society at the time portrayed it, especially in the South--was "Martin Luther Coon." His message was not accepted at the time by the bulk of America. The Baby Boom was mostly in high school or out of school before King's message gained general acceptance, and it can be argued that it hasn't really happened even now.

But for sure, the average grade school kid in the south was not being taught that in school in the 60s, or generally at home and certainly not in church.

If that had been the case, there would not have been this or this or this. Those were the lessons kids were being taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh. Do people still not get what has folks torqued off about this woman? It's not that she self identifies as African American - it's that she has lied about her ethnic background, her childhood, her parents, her upbringing, her "son," her "father," her alleged abuse and the alleged hate crimes against her.
I understand that and she`ll no doubt be asked to step down from the NAACP and possibly her position at the university.

However, if she insists on identifying as African-American should she be legally allowed to do so?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I understand that and she`ll no doubt be asked to step down from the NAACP and possibly her position at the university.

However, if she insists on identifying as Black should she be legally allowed to do so?
Yes because we allow people to self identify when it comes to gender now so we should do the same for race identity.

You can't allow one and not the other. That would be hypocrisy.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Talking Caught between rock and hard place.

Quote:

The left is trying to get rid of this woman as fast as they can. The last thing they want is to see is the government racial spoils system potentially open to manipulation.

Yes Indeed. There absolutely can't be any tests that determine racial origin. Those were made illegal long ago. So this woman does so and has proven that if you claim you are Black or African American, advantages and entitlements open up that otherwise are closed to everyone else in society.

They are caught between a rock and hard space. So it goes without saying, what this woman did, can't be allowed, but there is no legal recourse to stop it.

Maybe all Whites should start calling themselves Black and/or Africian American on official documents. It's absolutely not illegal and will throw all kinds of wrenches in the government sanctioned minority spoils system.

-------------------------

Of course if those who call themselves progressives & liberals and say they are color blind, were really color blind, this would not be an issue.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,348,480 times
I guess this is proof that once you go black, you never go go back.
Now keep this on the down low !

Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Go back there then. The person who said that was--as society at the time portrayed it, especially in the South--was "Martin Luther Coon." His message was not accepted at the time by the bulk of America. The Baby Boom was mostly in high school or out of school before King's message gained general acceptance, and it can be argued that it hasn't really happened even now.

But for sure, the average grade school kid in the south was not being taught that in school in the 60s, or generally at home and certainly not in church.

If that had been the case, there would not have been this or this or this. Those were the lessons kids were being taught.
You and I can argue all day long about what Baby Boomers' experiences were because you are an early BBer and I'm a late BBer. Plus you're a man and I'm a woman, and you're African American and I'm white. So of course our experiences differ. But my experiences weren't WEIRD and I grew up around lots of people who had the same experiences and felt the same way that I did, and I'm sure you can say the same.

By the time I was in grade school (integrated completely) kids were being taught in no uncertain terms that racism was morally reprehensible and that the Civil Rights movement was a great step in the right direction for our country. I didn't attend military schools - I attended regular old public schools in VA, NC, and GA.

In music class, we sang many songs made famous during the Civil Rights movement - many protest songs, folk songs, etc. I remember this very clearly.

Three Dog Night's song Black and White was a huge hit and I remember singing that in school as well, surrounded by a very diverse group of students.

Heck, my high school was 55 percent AA - I think it still is. This was in rural GA. And we all got along well together. I don't recall a single incident of racial tension at that school. In fact, the only racial issue I recall in school at all was in junior high school, when there was a group of AA girls who sort of terrorized anyone who wasn't in their group. But that's pretty typical bad behavior of junior high girls in general. I recall them calling me racist names - but they called everyone names, so there you have it. I am pretty sure they outgrew that bad behavior - I hope so.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
However, if she insists on identifying as African-American should she be legally allowed to do so?
I do believe that any and all government "tests" that officially determines racial origin were made illegal long ago. So yes, you have every legal right to call yourself whatever race you like. You can even refer to yourself as "other", meaning nothing.

This is because it is also absolutely illegal to make decisions based on race except were the courts have deemed special entitlements necessary to "equalize" the Black race with the rest of society. Yet even there, there are no tests for eligibility.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:36 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,964,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Woman needs to move to another country, change her identity and forget this ever happened. I could never show my face to people I interact with daily if caught up in a lie like this.
I'm not convinced that any other country has a job for a woman that specializes in being black. If she went to Canada, she'd have to straighten her hair and pretend to be aboriginal.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
I haven't followed this story closely but is she still sticking to her story that she is indeed black?

Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I haven't followed this story closely but is she still sticking to her story that she is indeed black?
When asked directly if she was African American she said she didn't understand the question.
What she has said is that we are all from Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events