Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,698,911 times

Advertisements

This whole thing smells like some sort of neighbor dispute. Like others... I'm sure there is something more to this story.

That said, unless the kid exhibited obvious signs of immediate distress or appeared to be in great danger for some other reason, I would simply ignore it. A normal kid can certainly survive for an hour and a half without food, outside, in a decent climate. Sometimes crap goes wrong and parents can't be there every single minute. Do schools now stuff kids with food every hour and a half?

And why doesn't this person have a house key? We had one stashed outside in case there was a problem. Most people probably did. Today, electronic locks make this even more easily avoided. It just seems odd that an 11 year old would be truly locked out. But maybe the parents felt that this could never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,556,293 times
I do believe that the nosy neighbor would be hearing from me!

Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,377,233 times
did the concerned police officer offer to let the poor boy sit in the safety of his patrol car while waiting for the parents?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, but who doesn't have an outside faucet? Some shade. And in an emergency situation, well the cop tinkled outside. I don't think 1 1/2 hrs. exposure to the out of doors in suburbia is going to kill anyone.

I guess they would have just strung me up if people had those attitudes back when mine were young. When my boys were that age they went outside for hours, over the bluff, down into the gorge and played in the woods, same places I use to play. Good Lord we use to drink water that came right out from an underground spring in the caves and pee right on the ground. Grandma would say, now you children stay away from those bobcat dens. She was more concerned that we washed our hands so we wouldn't get worms.
If Mom was (heaven forbid) in an accident on the way home or otherwise severely delayed, the boy would need to get into the house eventually. I think he should have a way to get in if needed and someone to call for help. It sounds to me like Mom was simply unprepared for that possibility. I have no problem with a boy that age being trusted outside on his own for a a few hours after school, but I agree that he needs to be able to get into the house.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:43 PM

36,577 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If Mom was (heaven forbid) in an accident on the way home or otherwise severely delayed, the boy would need to get into the house eventually. I think he should have a way to get in if needed and someone to call for help. It sounds to me like Mom was simply unprepared for that possibility. I have no problem with a boy that age being trusted outside on his own for a a few hours after school, but I agree that he needs to be able to get into the house.
I agree. Could have been a fluke though, lost his key, lost the "hidden" key. When my boys were that age they would just jimmy the window if they needed in that bad. I just don't lock my doors.

I would think people would have a plan for such situations, like a neighbor to go to or someone to call. Most kids have a cell phone.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can't even count how many house keys my son went through.

I just made sure there was no identifying information on his keyring.
One time I had five extras sets of keys made for our indoor and outdoor locks . They all disappeared!

Old 06-15-2015, 02:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,646,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
One time I had five extras sets of keys made for our indoor and outdoor locks . They all disappeared!
I got so mad at my wife always losing her key and taking mine, I went and had a dozen keys made (literally 12 keys to make a point) and put them in a drawer for her. She'd keep a spare in her car, when she lost one, she'd replace it from the drawer. Problem solved, right? No, about two years later we were out. So I got a electronic touchpad lock for the back door.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:13 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,463 times
When I was younger than 11 I could be out all day until dark. This was the same for most everyone. When my dad was 11 he was working.

Probably in the future kids won't be allowed to be in a room alone. I complain about this but I was part of the problem with my kids. Too overprotective.

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
I'm sad to admit this, but in today's world I'm shocked, in a good way, that the 11 yr old didn't have a cellphone.

I'm all for free range parenting, it's how I was raised and I'm thankful for that.

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Neighbor is an idiot and so is the local agency who put this family through this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events