Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 09:26 PM

35,124 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Two Florida parents were charged with neglect because their 11 year-old son was playing outside alone in the backyard for an hour and a half.

According to his mom, he arrived home before his parents and was locked out of the house (delayed with traffic and rain). He shot some hoops in the backyard to pass time.

His nosy neighbor saw him outside alone and called the cops. The cops waited at the house until the parents arrived and they were arrested.

The parents spoke out recently to Reason magazine. They kept their identities hidden in fear that they might those their jobs. The mother stated, "The authorities claim he had no access to water or shelter. We have an open shed in the back yard and 2 working sinks and 2 hoses. They said he had no food. He ate his snacks already. He had no bathroom, but the responding officer found our yard good enough to relieve himself in while our son sat in a police car alone. In his own yard, in a state, Florida, that has no minimum age for children to be alone."
Utterly ridiculous.

I was born in 1957. I distinctly remember, in March 1967, just before I turned 10,riding my bike from Colonial Road in Scarsdale to Springdale Park (now Aspen Park) to play baseball. And that was the first of many such excursions, which generally went two or so hours, including the 1.2 mile bike ride.

Unless there is something we don't know, an 11 year old is not an infant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Florida does not have a state latchkey law. Perhaps the municipality does.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:33 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,022,051 times
BTW, No main steam media has this story, all they have is link to random other sites. But no "Local" newspaper has that as a base story...

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM

14,789 posts, read 8,130,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What difference does it make if the kid is inside playing video games or outside playing basketball. Personally Id rather mine be outside playing.
Yeah that. When I was growing up
I played out in the yard, and out all around the neighborhood really for hours every day (most of the day really)....all my friends did, and we all lived! My parents were not neglectful at all...they wanted me to have a normal, healthy childhood, where you actually went out and played ball, and rode bikes and played with your friends...And I raised my son the same way! He is grown now.

I think it's sad that some kids only stay inside all the time, playing video games, watching tv and whatever. Gosh, no wonder there is a problem with obesity in America...and I think it has less to do with what people eat (although that is important)..than the fact kids don't get out and run, bike, play as much as they should.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,615,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah. Gross, officer. Go pee at Mrs. Kravitz's house, please. You already know she's home.
LMAO!!!! No kidding! That was so funny.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yeah that. When I was growing up
I played out in the yard, and out all around the neighborhood really for hours every day (most of the day really)....all my friends did, and we all lived! My parents were not neglectful at all...they wanted me to have a normal, healthy childhood, where you actually went out and played ball, and rode bikes and played with your friends...And I raised my son the same way! He is grown now.
Yeah, me too. These recent stories about police picking up kids simply for playing outside unsupervised seem unbelievable. I've been living abroad for some time now so I really have no idea how this has happened. How did America become a place where kids cannot go outside and play by themselves? Who wanted it this way? How did they get their way? Can anyone explain the process of how this came to be?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:59 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,879,704 times
Seriously? Get a life! I got locked out once after school in 1972. I forgot my key. I went to a neighbors house until my Mom got home from work. (She got home before Dad).
And yes....we too went out in the am, came home for lunch, went out again, came home at dinner. Played tag until dark, when Dad whistled from the porch for us to come in. We were all together and there was never an issue. I feel for these parents, as he sounded fine.
Again....mind your business.( unless the child is in distress or danger)

Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,996 times
Why didnt the kid just say "hey look, ive got shade and water right there. I just had something to eat. Thank you for being concerned but please go find something more worthwhile to do"?

but no, he kept his mouth shut and let his parents get in trouble

Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
Because having the 11 year old perish in group homes and foster 'care' (read White Oleander to get an idea of how lovely these are) is so much better than him playing solo in his own yard for bit after school, right??

The ferocity of this stupidity leads me to believe that it's not possible. Instead, I suspect the neighbor was disgruntled with the parents about something, and this was their twisted form of retaliation.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,771,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Because having the 11 year old perish in group homes and foster 'care' (read White Oleander to get an idea of how lovely these are) is so much better than him playing solo in his own yard for bit after school, right??

The ferocity of this stupidity leads me to believe that it's not possible. Instead, I suspect the neighbor was disgruntled with the parents about something, and this was their twisted form of retaliation.
Weird neighbors are understandable. It's the system - police, government, courts - that is baffling. How did it come to be that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events