Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I live in Florida and yes it does get hot but every house has a water hose or at least a spigot. Didn't sound like the kid was in danger of being overheated. The neighbor sounds like my old neighbor with nothing better to do than get into other people's business. If he really cared he would have offered some bottled water or challenged the kid to a game of one on one basketball.
[Fe]Yep, shooting hoops is what kids always do when they're hot and thirsty, instead of sitting down in the shade. [/Fe]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 03:59 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,984,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yeah, me too. These recent stories about police picking up kids simply for playing outside unsupervised seem unbelievable. I've been living abroad for some time now so I really have no idea how this has happened. How did America become a place where kids cannot go outside and play by themselves? Who wanted it this way? How did they get their way? Can anyone explain the process of how this came to be?
It appears to be an amalgam driven by news in the more recent past of hot-car deaths--cops being called instantaneously now, after these people have been seeing numerous daytime TV accts.--combined with longer, more insidous car-seat campaigns. Put into the mix safety hysterias like bicycle-helmet campaigns of roughly the same duration; and "zero tolerance" regs at the schools. An increasing reliance on and more media ink on play dates, organized activities, produce these conditions where free play is seen as outliers. Massive increases in Big Government state budgets for CPS.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:16 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,759,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Let me guess, the family is black or hispanic, living in an all-white neighborhood.
Oh come on now we all know if the kid was a minority the cops would have shot him.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,567,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
[Fe]Yep, shooting hoops is what kids always do when they're hot and thirsty, instead of sitting down in the shade. [/Fe]
Oh brother.... I guess you would be the neighbor to call the cops as well. Welcome to the world of nosy busybodies. I have lived in Florida since I was a kid. Hot and thirsty?? Did you read where I said offer some water? Just curious.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,866,641 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani
Two Florida parents were charged with neglect because their 11 year-old son was playing outside alone in the backyard for an hour and a half.
Oh my H0W TERRIBLE!!!!

I did the same thing when I was 11!!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM

389 posts, read 331,079 times
The buck should stop with the police chief. IMO should be forced out of office for something like this that lacks any semblance of common sense and is so counter to the sensibilities of Americans.

BTW - Florida does not have a legal age when you can leave a kid alone.

Last edited by ms12345; 06-16-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 07:23 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,730,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
And without a bike helmet... and I rode my skateboard sometimes barefooted - in the middle of the street - and I ran with a stick (and didn't poke my eye out!) and drank out of the hose - and climbed trees - and cracked open coconuts in the street and I FREAKIN' SURVIVED!

These cops - and Mrs. Kravits (bewitched mrs kravitz - Bing) needs an attitude adjustment...

The cop relieves himself in the same yard that the kid was playing in, and one of the complaints was the kid didn't have a bathroom....

Uh, hello? HERE'S YOUR SIGN (that you're an idiot!)...

Someone should arrest that police officer for urinating in public... although the evidence may not stand up in court....
Won't urinating in public get you on the sex offender registry for public indeceny/exposure?

I am not so cavalier about helmets. I flipped off my bike in junior high and got a decent-sized goose egg on my temple from hitting the concrete, and a gym teacher in high school was in a coma for a few days from head injuries he sustained in a bike accident even with a helmet. I am OK with precautions for kids.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:28 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Oh brother.... I guess you would be the neighbor to call the cops as well. Welcome to the world of nosy busybodies. I have lived in Florida since I was a kid. Hot and thirsty?? Did you read where I said offer some water? Just curious.
[Fe] is the sign for iron.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,700,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Oh come on now we all know if the kid was a minority the cops would have shot him.
The sad part is you're right.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 PM

23,745 posts, read 12,615,055 times
What once was..

What it's becoming (to keep kids safe from the outdoors)..

Someday soon--leash laws for all children who are under 18..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events