Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:36 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,868,284 times

Advertisements

I think this reflects more poorly on the employer (although I do not agree with SCOTUS either)
And for anyone wondering DISH which has it's HQ in Colorado was voted the worst company to work for in 2012. I'm not sure if the awards for 2013 + 2014 are in yet, but I'm sure DISH put forward their best effort to win those years too.

Dish Network, the Meanest Company in America - Businessweek

In the end the guy is probably better off not working for DISH any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:37 PM

51,304 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Although it is legal here, I wonder if the employee on his application or employee package read there is random drug testing? Would I want an employee working while high? Well, it's Dish Network, not like the guy is doing rocket science. Anyway, I am sure the guy will find employment elsewhere.
He wasn't high at work that I saw, where did you get that from?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:00 PM

26,118 posts, read 22,306,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
So... now Colorado follows California... Washington ... and Arizona.. all of whom mmj laws in place.. and in each whom were sued by advocates... and lost at their respective supreme courts ....
Emoloyers don't want high employees...where does it stop.. a lille altered.. smoked earlier..
Smoked last night.. umsed heavily yesterday... used in the bathroom five minutes ago...obviously employers want nothing to do with managing this and say... no way ..

Very prudent on their part as vicarious liability for someone who uses mj is vast and serious
My thought was whether they could tell if it were 5 minutes ago or 5 days ago. I decided to google for the story and this goes back to Sept 2014 when he took it to the state supreme court: Brandon Coats, Fired Medical Marijuana Patient, Makes His Case In Colorado Supreme Court and the current article: Colorado Supreme Court: Employers can fire for off-duty pot use - The Denver Post

Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,046,125 times
[quote=macrodome2;40045112]The Regan era drug laws. Employee drug testing started in the 80s and grew to what it is now during the 90s.

Then the people should be fired based upon the bad behavior AT WORK, not behavior off hours. People can also drink themselves silly and show up the next day with a hangover- but that's OK because alcohol is legal. If they are not doing the job, then fire them. Otherwise the employer shouldn't have any say in your life outside of work![/quote]

What kind of jobs have you had where its ok to be hung-over at work? Who would want an employee who shows up like that?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:26 PM

892 posts, read 1,507,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
He is a quadriplegic, and he is a valid medical marijuana patient. But somehow our famous and "friendly" notmeofficer sees this as some sort of victory.
So you would prefer that judges just legislate from the bench?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,102,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
ummm yeah.

serious druggies don't use pot because it stays in the system too long. They use cocaine and meth and sleeping pills...will **** clean in 3 days or less and sleeping pills are not illegal. Common knowledge in any industry that routinely tests. Good luck with your narrow minded war on marijuana while you ignore reality.
Please look a the EVIDENCE that I posted... about the effects of MJ on worker productivity... theft.. absenteeism... google for link..Ive posted them many times... gets boring reeducating over and over

Employers have the right to have employees who arent altered... and arent potentially altered... on any drug or alcohol...
Whats good enough... a dish employee.. a ups employee.. a fireman.. a policeman.. where does it stop... it has to stop at the source.. no... means no...

Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM

16,767 posts, read 8,756,694 times
Quote:
Ugh.

A Dish employee who is a valid MMJ patient lost his job because of a random drug test. He knew he would fail, so he took his doctor prescribed MMJ card to the HR department. It took them a few weeks to decide, but ultimately they decided to fire him.

He sued, because in Colorado employees are protected by a law that states that employees cannot be punished for anything they do on their off time as long as it is legal. Even though medical marijuana is legal in Colorado, the court ruled that "legal" means both state AND federal.

This ruling, as usual, has nothing to do with the plant or its merits.

So this guy lost his job because of federal prohibition, not because he wasn't a good employee, not because there were any problems at all, in fact. He was simply picked for a random drug test.

He is a quadriplegic, and he is a valid medical marijuana patient. But somehow our famous and "friendly" notmeofficer sees this as some sort of victory.

That's pretty sick, in my opinion.

And all the while cannabis remains schedule I.
Blame your dope head friends who abuse the system to get pot with prescriptions for anxiety, trouble sleeping, etc.

Heck I remember a bunch of hippie looking losers out on the corners in Florida holding up signs to get "medical" pot passed. It is obvious that other than missing functioning brain cells, these dopers just wanted to get their foot in the door to get pot classified differently. Then they could then move on to getting recreational pot legalized. They help to ruin it for those who legitimately need it like chemo patients and the like.

I am sure you and your ilk are proud.

`

Old 06-16-2015, 05:54 PM

16,767 posts, read 8,756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Please look a the EVIDENCE that I posted... about the effects of MJ on worker productivity... theft.. absenteeism... google for link..Ive posted them many times... gets boring reeducating over and over

Employers have the right to have employees who arent altered... and arent potentially altered... on any drug or alcohol...
Whats good enough... a dish employee.. a ups employee.. a fireman.. a policeman.. where does it stop... it has to stop at the source.. no... means no...
Good post, and you must keep up the informative posts to combat the dopers who want to treat dope like an "innocent plant".
Heck, I wonder how well potheads would like it if nuclear power plant control operators were able to smoke dope prior to starting their shift.
When the alarm bells start going off and you need a sharp mind to keep a lid on the plant, they would probably sound like the dopers in a Cheech & Chong movie.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:55 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,430,451 times
Quote:
Ugh.

So this guy lost his job because of federal prohibition, not because he wasn't a good employee, not because there were any problems at all, in fact. He was simply picked for a random drug test.
no, he lost his job because dish has a zero tolerant drug policy like alot of other places. that it, that all. doesnt matter if legal or not

he sign a paper when hired that said he will be fire if positive, that all there is to it.

there are thousand of company with same policy.

my company has same policy, its a condition of hiring. my company goes one step further, no tobacco.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM

51,304 posts, read 36,950,029 times
[quote=hawk55732;40046878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
The Regan era drug laws. Employee drug testing started in the 80s and grew to what it is now during the 90s.

Then the people should be fired based upon the bad behavior AT WORK, not behavior off hours. People can also drink themselves silly and show up the next day with a hangover- but that's OK because alcohol is legal. If they are not doing the job, then fire them. Otherwise the employer shouldn't have any say in your life outside of work![/quote]

What kind of jobs have you had where its ok to be hung-over at work? Who would want an employee who shows up like that?
?? I've never worked anywhere where you had to hide if you were drinking over the weekend, what kind of jobs have YOU had where drinking in off hours was frowned upon? Even my boss comes in sometimes saying she has a headache because she and her husband went out over the weekend and she had too much wine.

MJ, on the other hand, has NO effect of any kind the next day which would affect work.

Don't forget this was not a typical employee, either, this was a quadriplegic, meaning he doesn't have use of his arms or his legs, he uses a sip-n-puff to operate his wheelchair with his mouth. They probably never wanted to hire him but had to due to ADA rules because he was otherwise qualified, but he probably costs them more especially if they have to give him benefits.

The guy's been a quad since a car accident in his teens. He's used pot since 2009 when he discovered it calmed the violent muscle spasms he gets. Ironically, it is probably the pot that allows him to be physically able to work.

What I find really ironic, is that most of those who are cheering that this guy got fired are also the loudest complaining about entitlements...probably 99% of quads are on Medicaid and disability for life...this guy overcomes the odds and makes his own way, goes to college and gets a job and doesn't want to be on public dole....and the same folks who should be supporting him as a poster child of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps are here saying "Good! I'm glad he cant get his job back!" If you guys actually get what you want, and all employers do this, then he WILL have to be on the public dole, and you'll be paying for his probably 6 figure a year medical bills.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-16-2015 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events