Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:06 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,645,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

What I find really ironic, is that most of those who are cheering that this guy got fired are also the loudest complaining about entitlements...probably 99% of quads are on Medicaid and disability for life...this guy overcomes the odds and makes his own way, goes to college and gets a job and doesn't want to be on public dole....and the same folks who should be supporting him as a poster child of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps are here saying "Good! I'm glad he cant get his job back!"

Repped you.

Some here will never get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,046,125 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;40047470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
[/b]
?? I've never worked anywhere where you had to hide if you were drinking over the weekend, what kind of jobs have YOU had where drinking in off hours was frowned upon? Even my boss comes in sometimes saying she has a headache because she and her husband went out over the weekend and she had too much wine.

MJ, on the other hand, has NO effect of any kind the next day which would affect work.

Don't forget this was not a typical employee, either, this was a quadriplegic, meaning he doesn't have use of his arms or his legs, he uses a sip-n-puff to operate his wheelchair with his mouth. They probably never wanted to hire him but had to due to ADA rules because he was otherwise qualified, but he probably costs them more especially if they have to give him benefits.

The guy;s been a quad since a car accident in his teens. He's used pot since 2009 when he discovered it calmed the violent muscle spasms he gets. Ironically, it is probably the pot that allows him to be physically able to work.

What I find really ironic, is that most of those who are cheering that this guy got fired are also the loudest complaining about entitlements...probably 99% of quads are on Medicaid and disability for life...this guy overcomes the odds and makes his own way, goes to college and gets a job and doesn't want to be on public dole....and the same folks who should be supporting him as a poster child of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps are here saying "Good! I'm glad he cant get his job back!"
I never said that drinking during your off time was wrong. However, showing up to work with alcohol in your system is a major no-no in any job I have ever been at and is an instant firing offense. As it should be.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 PM

51,298 posts, read 36,950,029 times
[quote=hawk55732;40047551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I never said that drinking during your off time was wrong. However, showing up to work with alcohol in your system is a major no-no in any job I have ever been at and is an instant firing offense. As it should be.
You said being hung over, the topic was being hung over, not coming to work under the influence. Or do you actually believe people who drink the night before should be fired for coming into work the next day?

That would certainly put a damper on our company-paid Christmas party.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:28 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,046,125 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;40048054]
Quote:

You said being hung over, the topic was being hung over, not coming to work under the influence. Or do you actually believe people who drink the night before should be fired for coming into work the next day?

That would certainly put a damper on our company-paid Christmas party.

I am really not seeing what you are talking about. If you come into work with alcohol on your breath(which indicates that it is still in your system) then yes, I do believe you should be discipline. Whether that means being sent home for the day without pay or fired if it is not the first time. And every job I have worked at has had that policy.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
I think recreational drug users are losers.

However, I think EVERY plant/drug/space rock/cow paddy/etc should be looked into as a way to alleviate suffering or cure disease. There shouldn't be such thing as a ban on the medical use of something.

There is something weird going on with that employer. Cuz that ain't right.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,868,284 times
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl

I was going to say the same thing, but you wrote a lot better than I could have.

+1 internets for you

Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 AM

51,298 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:

I am really not seeing what you are talking about. If you come into work with alcohol on your breath(which indicates that it is still in your system) then yes, I do believe you should be discipline. Whether that means being sent home for the day without pay or fired if it is not the first time. And every job I have worked at has had that policy.
NO ONE is talking about alcohol on your breath, you are trying to backtrack on the post you were actually quoting, which clearly said "hung over" not having alcohol on your breath. You can't just pretend you were talking about something different when you quoted the post in yours, lol.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,102,810 times
The SCOTUS giveth and the SCOTUS taketh away.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,102,611 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;40047470]
Quote:
?? I've never worked anywhere where you had to hide if you were drinking over the weekend, what kind of jobs have YOU had where drinking in off hours was frowned upon? Even my boss comes in sometimes saying she has a headache because she and her husband went out over the weekend and she had too much wine.

MJ, on the other hand, has NO effect of any kind the next day which would affect work.

Don't forget this was not a typical employee, either, this was a quadriplegic, meaning he doesn't have use of his arms or his legs, he uses a sip-n-puff to operate his wheelchair with his mouth. They probably never wanted to hire him but had to due to ADA rules because he was otherwise qualified, but he probably costs them more especially if they have to give him benefits.

The guy's been a quad since a car accident in his teens. He's used pot since 2009 when he discovered it calmed the violent muscle spasms he gets. Ironically, it is probably the pot that allows him to be physically able to work.

What I find really ironic, is that most of those who are cheering that this guy got fired are also the loudest complaining about entitlements...probably 99% of quads are on Medicaid and disability for life...this guy overcomes the odds and makes his own way, goes to college and gets a job and doesn't want to be on public dole....and the same folks who should be supporting him as a poster child of pulling yourself up by the bootstraps are here saying "Good! I'm glad he cant get his job back!" If you guys actually get what you want, and all employers do this, then he WILL have to be on the public dole, and you'll be paying for his probably 6 figure a year medical bills.

Actually.. you are incorrect about the morning after... although the literature contradicts itself depending upon who you believe . Generally heavy marijuana use does affect the user the morning after. We know this by measuring medically consistent benchmarks... like elevated heart rate... co levels in the blood and other measurements that show mj has changed the body's stasis...
Heavy users also self report the day after grunge... inability to function without smoking more marijuana just to function. The occasion user ..say once a month.. their body can generally stave off the effects of the poison they are inhaling .. hey those 400 chemicals..many toxic in marijuana smoke go somewhere ... you cannot put a burning gaseous tailpipe in your mouth and have it not effect you the next day.
Those who eat edibles self report even more difficulties the next day.. perhaps due to the level of intoxication as there is less diminishment of the THC going up in smoke

I feel bad for this guy... he in my opinion is a good candidate for mmj... but he knew the score.. it didn't go his way... as it shouldn't have..perhaps he would be a good candidate and poster child to work at a pot shop

This case is more about the strength of a contractual relationship between employee and employer... the agreement of same ... the plaintiff lost not because of marijuana but because he didn't ascribe to a contract and offer of employment tied to being drug free. More and more employers are following suit

Pot use is a personal choice... personal choices can have life long consequences

Last edited by notmeofficer; 06-17-2015 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,134,945 times
I don´t even smoke anymore (well maybe vary rarely) but I am sure glad that employers are not allowed to test here. Having to take a **** test for your employer in a supposedly free Country is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events