Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 AM

463 posts, read 321,109 times

Advertisements

Ugh.

A Dish employee who is a valid MMJ patient lost his job because of a random drug test. He knew he would fail, so he took his doctor prescribed MMJ card to the HR department. It took them a few weeks to decide, but ultimately they decided to fire him.

He sued, because in Colorado employees are protected by a law that states that employees cannot be punished for anything they do on their off time as long as it is legal. Even though medical marijuana is legal in Colorado, the court ruled that "legal" means both state AND federal.

This ruling, as usual, has nothing to do with the plant or its merits.

So this guy lost his job because of federal prohibition, not because he wasn't a good employee, not because there were any problems at all, in fact. He was simply picked for a random drug test.

He is a quadriplegic, and he is a valid medical marijuana patient. But somehow our famous and "friendly" notmeofficer sees this as some sort of victory.

That's pretty sick, in my opinion.

And all the while cannabis remains schedule I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Wow..just wow. Totally unfair.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
On one hand I support the rights of the employer to hire or fire anyone for any reason. On the other, many employers have become wanna-be dictators in prying into the private lives of their employees and limiting their choices. A lot of this has to do with insurance companies (after all they hold all the cards when you think about it) and the fact their are too many lawyers (we've become quite a sue-happy society). Do I think it is absolutely douchebaggery on the part of DISH? ABSOLUTELY! In fact... I may be even more inclined to cancel my subscription with them, given that they threw this guy under the bus! I suppose if he was taking legalized prescribed opiates then that would be OK, huh?!!

On another note, my wife works as a recruiter for a hospital system here. I've heard her interview candidates when she works from home, and I've had the day off, and I absolutely CRINGE when she tells would be candidates that they have to take a test for niccotine, which IS legal to purchase! Whatever happened to give and take? The gall of some of these employers who feel they need to control their employees, or tell me what I can and cannot do on MY TIME!!!! Hey, I'm cool with not doing things you don't want me to do on your time, or even on your company's property! I respect that! But what I do in my own house, on my own damn time, when I haven't harmed another, is not your GOD DAMNED BUSINESS! In short, I'm glad I work for a company that doesn't pry into our personal lives!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Our lives are slowly being taken over.

And the sad thing is we let it happen.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:07 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,465 times
I agree with the others. We are becoming sheeples who are being controlled and monitored, even on our off hours! I remember learning about this guy, when I lived in CO. I think it is disgusting that a person can get hooked on pain killers and that is not a problem, if it is a legal substance under the FDA, but yet a person who uses a plant, is considered a ****ing criminal. Too much insanity. I know in AZ they have a law that is supposed to also protect to the employee from firing. I mean, come on, just stop the insanity.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:09 AM

The good news is that this case is drawing enough attention that we have lawmakers looking into ways to fix this problem.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM

12,847 posts, read 870,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
... So this guy lost his job because of federal prohibition, not because he wasn't a good employee, not because there were any problems at all, in fact. He was simply picked for a random drug test.
Or maybe the employer just wanted this guy gone for one reason or another and they used the MMJ as a reason/excuse. Or maybe he wasn't such a good employee after all. We will never know for sure.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
Or maybe the employer just wanted this guy gone for one reason or another and they used the MMJ as a reason/excuse. Or maybe he wasn't such a good employee after all. We will never know for sure.
That's unlikely. I'm not sure why Dish would choose such a controversial way to get rid of someone when there are hundreds of less visible ways to do it. This way was so controversial, in fact, that it wound up with a lawsuit that got pushed all the way to the state Supreme Court.

Dish admits there was no drug use by this employee while he was on the job. They do admit, however, that he is a victim of their zero tolerance drug policy.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:15 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I agree with the others. We are becoming sheeples who are being controlled and monitored, even on our off hours! I remember learning about this guy, when I lived in CO. I think it is disgusting that a person can get hooked on pain killers and that is not a problem, if it is a legal substance under the FDA, but yet a person who uses a plant, is considered a ****ing criminal. Too much insanity. I know in AZ they have a law that is supposed to also protect to the employee from firing. I mean, come on, just stop the insanity.
IIRC the law just says you get unemployment if fired for MMJ...

Old 06-16-2015, 11:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Our lives are slowly being taken over.

And the sad thing is we let it happen.
Too true.

Needless to say I disagree with the SCOTUS on this one, and I've never even tried marijuana. I support medical MJ 100%. I even support legalizing it for recreational use. Legalize it and tax it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events