Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna have to remember to try this. I bet this goes on more often than anyone realizes... people gossip and BS and insult other people.. it seems to be human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
I should have been a corporate lawyer I missed by calling, damn you mom and dad wouldn't pay for law school, now I am just a lowly health care exec.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I dont disagree with the tenor of your post, except for this one sentence. He was a patient of hers. Perhaps she doesn't think this way as well, and this may be a big part of her problem, but from the moment the anesthesiologist interviews you to the moment you leave the recovery room, you are the anesthesiologists patient. In most cases, if you crash during a procedure, the anesthesiologist is the only doctor in the room who knows how to save you. Most surgeons, and in this case, gastroenterologists, don't know how to read an ekg and other vital signs well enough to quickly diagnose you and give the appropriate medication to save you in an emergency situation, so you should think of them as your doctor and they should think of you as their patient. To me, that what makes this situation that much more unacceptable. Besides the trust issue, you can't distance yourself from your patients and give them the best care at the same time. You are in the room for one reason, and one reason only. The patient.
Awesome post. I couldn't agree more. That is why I hand pick my anesthesiologists for surgery. I want someone whose training I trust to make sure I wake up in the PACU while having adequate anesthesia during the surgery. My high allergy profile makes me a higher acuity for any anesthesiologist. Those well trained and professional deal with it, they are my pick to help me safely make it through the surgery

In an emergency lap procedure I had, it was the anesthesiologist yelling on the phone that he needed blood for me stat, while two CRNAs opened up a second and started a third I.V. That anesthesia team kept me stable enough, with blood transfusions, fluids and meds so the surgeons could find the bleeder. It can be extremely stressful for anesthesiologists with certain procedures. I'm grateful to those who have cared for me on multiple occasions.

One comment I'll make about this case is while I think this particular anesthesiologist did not care for her patient in an appropriate manner, physicians are human too. She needs to seek help as she has clearly had something happen in her personal or professional life interfering with her total judgment of patient care. I have the ability to find her behavior very unprofessional while hoping as a human she will get the help she needs. She may need to leave anesthesiology and retrain, or she may find a good psychotherapist and talk about what is going on in her life that she would think this type of care acceptable. I believe people can change.

MSR

Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
It is VERY GOOD he won the suit!!!!

Maybe these idiots will think twice next time!!

Old 06-26-2015, 07:14 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
It is VERY GOOD he won the suit!!!!

Maybe these idiots will think twice next time!!
There shouldn't be a next time, they need to be fired/prosecuted.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
There's something called "the punishment fits the crime". Humans aren't perfect. We do things wrong. It's wrong to punish minor crimes with severe penalties. Or, in this case, I don't think a doctor insulting a patient is even a crime. Yes, insulting people is wrong, but I don't think it's been codified as a law. And if it is, this is something that it's worth severely punishing someone for. It seems anyone can get anyone in trouble nowadays. Yes, we could deter almost everything that's "wrong", but at a severe cost to freedom. At some point there has to be a balance.
The patient was—hopefully—unconscious; however, doctors set the tone in the operating room and may have caused the patient to be cared for less diligently by others in the room, as well as the doctor's own care.

People who are unconscious deserve better treatment, better patient care, than the victim received.

I don't think the crime was the least bit minor. I wouldn't trust that doctor at all, ever.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:12 PM

335 posts, read 376,390 times
He did this on purpose recording the whole thing. I mean who accidently hits the record button on a phone prior to a procedure. He should of had a gown on also, where did he put the phone? In his armpit?He had it concealed somewhere.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
He did this on purpose recording the whole thing. I mean who accidently hits the record button on a phone prior to a procedure. He should of had a gown on also, where did he put the phone? In his armpit?He had it concealed somewhere.
Personal belongings are not allowed in the operating room. However, in non-sterile types of treatment rooms, they often put your belongings in a bag under your stretcher. That is what happened here. I have a feeling, after this incident, that policy will change in most endoscopy suites.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Well if that doesn't **** you off, nothing will.....
That POS needs to lose her license-
I seriously hope & pray her career is over & anyone else involved, too.

People need to start doing this on a regular basis-
Don't trust doctors, nurses & anesthesiologists these days....
There's a lack of professionalism & decency that's appalling.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:21 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's not about justice, it's about teaching some jerk a lesson. And rightfully so.
You missed the point entirely. That lesson cost some (probably) public institution one half million dollars. There's a bigger lesson here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events