Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

Horrible, crass, disrespectful, and rude comments, but really, how are they any different from how people talk about each other all the time on the Internet today? This is what our society has come to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:40 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
It's a little divided here. Some are glad, some are not. I am not. A certain level of professionalism was given to the patient. He was knocked out and was not aware of anything. If you don't hear it, it does not affect you. Move on ! I thought this was a country of freedom of expression. He illegaly recorded a conversation and his phone should not be in the operating room period. How many more people will try to get insulted now for $500k?

Come in the clinic and look like a semi-homeless person, smelly, and keep a recording device handy and then call a snake lawyer. I can see maybe $100k as a penalty but not $500,000. I'll still sign up for $100k too. If it happened to me, yes, I'd be quite upset but I'd quickly become happier with a snake lawyer on my side and the offender being penalized.

Do you understand this will come from her insurance, and maybe lose her license? Oh, and now the procedure will cost more since insurance premiums rose due to claims, so the physicians will charge more. Judges are not doing such a great job nowadays.
Are all these judges becoming over-sensitive ACLU types?
Speaking of which I have a bed-bug case from a hotel that I am still waiting on an outcome on for 3 years.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:44 AM

179 posts, read 268,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Why? I think that is a pretty crazy amount for such a thing. Was she unprofessional? Of course, but talk is talk. It isn't like she stabbed him. I think the amounts of lawsuits are stupid, but whatever. We have more attorneys than any other country, so we are going to have every ambulance chaser around tripping over themselves to get a piece of any pie they can get.
GG don't you realize how those words can hurt. Just because she didn't physically abuse him she still abused him. I had a doctor make fun of me when I was young and it gave me a real complex. I didn't immediately understand that he was being wrong because my parents worshiped doctors and I took his words to be true.

I worked for years in health care and saw a lot of that behavior. Pretending just because people were stupid enough to come to the health care facility they deserved whatever they got.

I was given an overdose of an eyedrop. I was to get .05ml and was given 2.5ml. I caught her mistake but she still put them in and said "It's all right. You'll only be blind for a couple of days". Being blind a couple of days for her might not be bad but I considered it very bad.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
First, patients can not only see their medical records, they can check them out to show another doctor. Any doctor who refuses to show you your own records is a doctor to avoid.

Second, he recorded because of a common problem of not being clear headed from the medicine to understand instructions.

Third, the doctor wrote false information on his chart and acknowledged it was false in the recordings.

Fourth, the level of malice by the staff towards the patient is scary. While a colonoscopy is a routine proceedure, was it conducted while in a state of anger? Was the doctor more forceful with the scope than necessary? And what else did they do to him while he was under that you could not hear on the recordings?

This was not a frivolous lawsuit.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
He did this on purpose recording the whole thing. I mean who accidently hits the record button on a phone prior to a procedure. He should of had a gown on also, where did he put the phone? In his armpit?He had it concealed somewhere.
I know elderly patients of mine would take a recorder to record what the doctor told them because they could not hear that well and didn't understand a lot of the terminology. They would transcribe it at home and look up things in their medical dictionaries and understand. Not unusual for someone to want to know how to take care of themselves at home after a procedure.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Agree!

MSR
So if this were breast cancer you were diagnosed with when you didn't have it or testicular cancer you wouldn't mind. You wouldn't think that was malpractice?

Very strange that you would think it was fine for this person to have it recorded on their chart that they had hemmorhoids.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:09 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Horrible, crass, disrespectful, and rude comments, but really, how are they any different from how people talk about each other all the time on the Internet today? This is what our society has come to.
Not a equal comparison at all. He was knocked out by trusted medical professionals, not bullied by strangers on the internet. He could have died while under anesthesia. He was paying for what he thought was excellent care, not posting in a meanie forum. I never want to be as helpless as a newborn babe, and have my caretakers making jokes about me or making cruel threats.

Would it be ok to make fun of the elderly in convalescent homes? Make jokes about hitting Alzheimer's patients? Folks being paid to take care of us, people holding our lives in their hands, are the LAST people that should act like this woman did.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:10 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
So if this were breast cancer you were diagnosed with when you didn't have it or testicular cancer you wouldn't mind. You wouldn't think that was malpractice?

Very strange that you would think it was fine for this person to have it recorded on their chart that they had hemmorhoids.
Also, it begs the question would this doctor see this patient again if he called to make an appointment to treat his hemorrhoids that didn't exist? Did the doctor cause a tear during the colonoscopy and write the false diagnosis to hide his mistake.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM

388 posts, read 425,747 times
Patients should be treated with respect. The woman with the mouth should have been fired. The doctor who allowed it should have been fined and the check should have been his own, not from an insurance company.

This was a disgusting crime, one that should be punished so others think twice before repeating it.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
A man in Virginia has sued and won $500,000 because his set his phone to audio record during a colonoscopy. What he heard on playback was the female anesthesiologist trash talking about him while he was under. That will make you think.
Sounds like the right result to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events