Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Some of you people better not ever come to Florida. Cops dont even signal here. We have a saying down here "If the turn signal is on thats because they bought the car that way"
Cops don't always signal in IL either. They're either too stupid to remember or they feel they're above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Breaking news!!! White people are more likely to die in police custody then blacks. So, what's the point of this thread? Is it police using extreme measures to arrest people, or, another race baited waste of time because the person who died was black? I know my memory is not perfect, but I can't remember a thread about a white person dying in custody. Do you???
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
Having marijuana in your system after 4 days in prison and showing up in a toxicology screen depending on the persons metabolism would suggest she was high at the time of driving. If your okay with that then I guess we have change the laws?... This would also make her mental condition come into question while in the cell coming off of the high depending on how long she had been using.

Fine one minute and the next minute hysterical.....sounds sort of familiar.

This does not excuse the officers actions but does make sense of her actions in the video.

Hispanic, black, white, drugs don't care what color your skin is they make you act not yourself. (Everyone says she was God fearing and I hope and pray that this is not what a God fearing woman acts like.)
"Diepraam said that unless she took the drug inside her cell, Bland would have had to have ingested a huge amount of the substance, either by swallowing or smoking it, for it to still be in her system three days later"
Sandra Bland's autopsy reveals 30 healing cuts on her wrist, large amounts of marijuana in her blood and NO signs she was attacked or murdered in jail | Daily Mail Online

"Sandra Bland, the black woman found hanging dead in a Texas jail days after a traffic stop, smoked or possibly swallowed a large amount of marijuana while in custody, according to her family’s attorney."
https://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/san...mily-attorney/

Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM

207 posts, read 275,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The suicide rate is statistically higher for whites but that's the same as with the non-custodial population.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mljsp0012st.pdf Where your argument fails is that it does not include data for custodial deaths that do not occur within a correctional setting which is completely relevant to any discussion of this nature.
Deaths in police custody in the United States: Research*review - Journalist's Resource Journalist's Resource
What argument? Someone asked about data showing deaths in police custody. Since the original title of this thread is about a person dying in police custody in a local jail cell I found data about deaths of people in local and state jails and posted it.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The video by the bystander who she thanked for recording does not show her kicking him. Of course, it is possible that she accidentally kicked out when trying to get away from his brutality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IYim6pDZV0Y

Yeah, that cop had the *right* to ask her to get out of the car, but there was no reason to. She did nothing wrong except that she knew her rights, knew that if it went to court, she would have a case, was irritated with the whole thing and showed it and continued to smoke a cigarette when he asked her to put it out. He told her to get out of car and said he was going to *light her up* with his tazer. He would not tell her what she was under arrest for (that's illegal). There is no indication that he mirandized her (again illegal). He orders her to put her phone down so she cannot record him. He pulls her out of view of the dash cam so that what he does to her cannot be recorded by it. When she tells him he slammed her head into the ground and that she has epilepsy, he saids *good.* He says she yanked away and then kicked him, but there is no evidence of that. Note he also says "She didn't kick me too hard but she still kicked me though.* IOW, she was struggling and could not get much force even if she wanted to. And "She never swung at me, just flailing and stomping around."

The transcript of the arrest is more horrifying than the video.
The Transcript Of Sandra Bland's Arrest Is As Revealing As The Video

Note they do not indicate that she was given any medical attention during the jail time or at the scene despite the fact that she asked for it. Did she have her Kepra (epilepsy medication)? I doubt if they gave it to her. He even says in the transcript that she requested EMS, but in the intake report he says she refused medical help.

In other facts, Sandra was 6 feet tall and weighed 175 lbs. There is no way that she could have been hanging from a plastic bag noose from that partition - she could not have gotten the force to break her neck and her feet would have been on the ground as that partition is not that tall.

State legislators who saw the video...just before it was publicly released sharply condemned the officer's behavior, which the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Steven McCraw, said was a violation of department arrest procedures. State Senator Royce West, Democrat of Dallas, said Ms. Bland, 28, should never have been taken into custody.

Note that the whole department is incompetent. Read the actual documents and look at the contradictions.
They are making up stories to fit their narrative.

http://documents.latimes.com/booking...-sandra-bland/

Note that they don't believe she is a risk for suicide. Note on the second document, she tells them she has epilepsy. Note that on page 7, it says she doesn't take medication. We know that she did take Keppra. A suicide questionnaire that was among booking documents released Wednesday by Waller County shows that Bland also told them she was taking the anti-epileptic drug Keppra. This is a drug that should not be discontinued without medical supervision.

In another document, one that was to be filled out by the inmate and that contains Bland's signature, "no" is circled by the question asking if she's currently on any medication.
your short video from a long way away in which the cop already has her on the ground is not very compelling evidence for her not kicking him.

you do realize that one can successfully kill oneself by hanging/asphyxiation without one's feet ever leaving the ground, do you not? it does not require that the person's neck be broken.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,742 times
Not true. It is not like alcohol.

What it most likely means is that she was a regular (probably daily) marijuana smoker.

Quote:
Having marijuana in your system after 4 days in prison and showing up in a toxicology screen depending on the persons metabolism would suggest she was high at the time of driving. If your okay with that then I guess we have change the laws?... This would also make her mental condition come into question while in the cell coming off of the high depending on how long she had been using.

This does not excuse the officers actions but does make sense of her actions in the video.

Hispanic, black, white, drugs don't care what color your skin is they make you act not yourself. (Everyone says she was God fearing and I hope and pray that this is not what a God fearing woman acts like.)

Old 07-23-2015, 03:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
People that burn and loot and donot conform to norms of society are savages in my book.
Native Americans who were attempting to protect their own land were also called "savages." Sounds familiar?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:05 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:

it all depends on how high 'high' is, if you'll forgive the phrase. if it was truly a high level, it would had to have come from a more recent period of time than 3 days previous.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,643,450 times
Just a thought, law enforcement deals with this arrogant, behavior all the time.I dont have to mentality. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Did you seriouly think he was going to stand there and sweet talk her until she felt like it? If she truly had ptsd and depression as she and her family said she could have been downright dangerous to humans period and suicide is rampant in that group of people.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Just a thought, law enforcement deals with this arrogant, behavior all the time.I dont have to mentality. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Did you seriouly think he was going to stand there and sweet talk her until she felt like it? If she truly had ptsd and depression as she and her family said she could have been downright dangerous to humans period and suicide is rampant in that group of people.

Here's another thought. Since cops are expected to deal with all kinds of people, and to keep their cool, maybe this particular cop isn't right for the job. He seems to have a very short fuse when he feels someone should be submissive, and they're not.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:24 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Here's another thought. Since cops are expected to deal with all kinds of people, and to keep their cool, maybe this particular cop isn't right for the job. He seems to have a very short fuse when he feels someone should be submissive, and they're not.
This is exactly what I posted a few pages back. It seems that certain people of the majority population expect BETTER behavior from the common man, so to speak, but the cop who is supposed to be trained and a pro at his job can do whatever pleases him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events