Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 09:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The bolded is starting to become the norm by politicians these days. Better to sacrifice the cop before the savages burn the town down.
Savages. Really? I equate headhunting with savagery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Texas District Attorney has come out publicly and said the cop did not follow proper procedure, all but accusing him of escalating the situation into what resulted in her arrest.

That said, if you go and poke a tiger, don't be surprised when it bites you. I have been pissed off at a cop before, and we exchanged words, and he wrote me a ticket that I told him I was not going to pay (I went to court and it was dismissed)

Throughout the entire process I never lost my cool, raised my voice, or openly disrespected the police officer. The problem a lot of people have is they don't have this same sense of tact and self control. And the consequences have proven fatal in the past for a lot of these people. You want to gamble with your life, go for it, just don't expect any sympathy from a lot of people when you lose it over something entirely stupid, like running away from a police officer, or resisting arrest.

The cop did not kill this woman, she killed herself.

Ah, but you weren't threatened with bodily harm because you disagreed with the ticket did you? The cop didn't open your door and threatened you with arrest over your words. This is precisely what happened here.

We don't know what killed her. We do know cops have a tendency of killing citizens for no apparent reason many times.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your comments make no sense but your agenda (in bold text) is quite clear.
My comment makes perfect sense, it is just that you cannot address it.

It is not me that has the agenda, I am not exactly going around engaging in confrontations with cops with the opportunity arises, nor do I have a criminal record, nor do I have any traffic violations. However, Ms. Bland had a criminal record, traffic violations including a DUI, and an attitude problem with authority judging by her criminal record and traffic violations.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

So basically, they were both irritated, worked up and ready to pick up a fight, but he was in an official capacity and should have been trained to de-escalate, rather than escalate, in situations like this.

Unlike a regular citizen, a police officer has significant powers that he shouldn't abuse. Would you like the police arresting you because they didn't like the way you dress, or speak, or because they think you looked at them with contempt ?
What I don't get is the blind support for the cop who supposedly had hours and hours of training over days, weeks and maybe years. He is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL. Yet the apologists expect more from an everyday citizen than the PRO?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:08 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,423,528 times
I'm white, have no criminal record and have had some really tragic experiences with LEOs .
I'm not saying blacks don't get profiled and treated unfairly. They do.

Unfortunately humans tend to attack anyone that is different from whatever they are.
Black, white, poor, mentally ill or perceived as mentally ill. Yuck! It's nothing more than a pesky insect. Get rid of it. Don't take the time to understand.

I think this officer was a jerk. The woman was no angel. Both were wrong, but since he was supposed to be the professional, I put the greater wrong on him. He was, however, limited by his background and lack of social skills.?that's just my opinion.
I think she gave up hope for a brutal instant and killed herself. I hope I am wrong.

Without empathy we are all screwed. And you can't be empathetic if you're trying to be "right".

Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
This cop pulled this lady over for a minor infraction. The cop was the one who intensified this interaction. The cop could have diffused this whole thing by not prolonging this whole stop. The woman had the right to smoke a cigarette in her own car. She was not threatening him.
The cop was harassing her. These cops need to realize that with the cameras and technology we have today, bullying cops are not going to be given any free pass to abuse the citizens that pay this mans salary. It's time to crack down on bullying cops.....

Old 07-22-2015, 09:22 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This cop pulled this lady over for a minor infraction. The cop was the one who intensified this interaction. The cop could have diffused this whole thing by not prolonging this whole stop. The woman had the right to smoke a cigarette in her own car. She was not threatening him.
The cop was harassing her. These cops need to realize that with the cameras and technology we have today, bullying cops are not going to be given any free pass to abuse the citizens that pay this mans salary. It's time to crack down on bullying cops.....
The quality of training and overall quality of police seems to have gone down in the past 20 years. Seems too much money is being spent on militarizing them and too little on hiring good people with common sense and respect for the law.

A professional police force should be better paid and under far more scrutiny.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:22 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The cop apologists will find anything to support their THUGGISH behavior. Now the lit cigarette is a threat. Go Figure!
Instead of the stupid cop just writing the ticket for not signaling, he had to get on a power trip because he got a gun and a badge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
What I don't get is the blind support for the cop who supposedly had hours and hours of training over days, weeks and maybe years. He is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL. Yet the apologists expect more from an everyday citizen than the PRO?
I am an "apologist" for lawful functioning of government. If a group, as a cultural matter has decided that police authority is not absolute, that's a serious problem. And that appears to be the case.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My comment makes perfect sense, it is just that you cannot address it.

It is not me that has the agenda, I am not exactly going around engaging in confrontations with cops with the opportunity arises, nor do I have a criminal record, nor do I have any traffic violations. However, Ms. Bland had a criminal record, traffic violations including a DUI, and an attitude problem with authority judging by her criminal record and traffic violations.
right.....

Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am an "apologist" for lawful functioning of government. If a group, as a cultural matter has decided that police authority is not absolute, that's a serious problem. And that appears to be the case.
The key there is "lawful". While I am not a lawyer, there seem to be no grounds for arrest, and the officer took active part in escalating the situation.

If the cop directed your wife to pull her underwear over her face and jump on one leg while singing "Rudolph the raindeer" do you feel she should oblige him just because he has "absolute" authority ? There's a difference between official command and personal request, this cop seems to have difficulties finding that boundary.

I am not saying she was right in behaving the way she did, either. And I am not advocating that people start hurling insults at cops and disobeying them whenever they feel they've been wrongly asked to do something. Ultimately they both failed, but he had a responsibility to uphold the law, not to bend it to help his wounded pride. And I am pretty sure the police regulations have something in them about cop's responsibility in trying to de-escalate the situation. I have a problem when people break the law and even bigger problem when people who are given enormous powers and responsibilities so that they could protect the law start breaking it.

Don't you agree that police should be held to higher standard of behavior than ordinary citizens ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events