Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The key there is "lawful". While I am not a lawyer, there seem to be no grounds for arrest, and the officer took active part in escalating the situation.

If the cop directed your wife to pull her underwear over her face and jump on one leg while singing "Rudolph the raindeer" do you feel she should oblige him ?
It is not up to citizens to determine lawfulness. If an officer engaged in such bizarre behavior, I personally would either comply, or ask to accompany the officer to the police station and explain immediately and on tape or camera to a supervisor what just happened. Nine out of ten officers would then stand down.

An example. One of my friend's fathers was a lieutenant in the Army. During 1945 or 1946 Truman ordered Army units desegregated. A general ordered my friend's father to racially segregate his unit while training them. He demanded that the general put the order in writing. The general stood down. Someone quipped that this was "the first time a lieutenant won an argument with a general."

Quote:
I am not saying she was right in behaving the way she did, either. And I am not advocating that people start hurling insults at cops whenever they feel they've been wrongly asked to do something. Ultimately they both failed, but he had a responsibility to uphold the law, not to bend it to help his wounded pride.
I suspect she had a racially generated chip on her shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:00 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
The key there is "lawful". While I am not a lawyer, there seem to be no grounds for arrest, and the officer took active part in escalating the situation.

If the cop directed your wife to pull her underwear over her face and jump on one leg while singing "Rudolph the raindeer" do you feel she should oblige him just because he has "absolute" authority ? There's a difference between official command and personal request, this cop seems to have difficulties finding that boundary.

I am not saying she was right in behaving the way she did, either. And I am not advocating that people start hurling insults at cops and disobeying them whenever they feel they've been wrongly asked to do something. Ultimately they both failed, but he had a responsibility to uphold the law, not to bend it to help his wounded pride. And I am pretty sure the police regulations have something in them about cop's responsibility in trying to de-escalate the situation. I have a problem when people break the law and even bigger problem when people who are given enormous powers and responsibilities so that they could protect the law start breaking it.

Don't you agree that police should be held to higher standard of behavior than ordinary citizens ?
He didn't break the law. Failing to signal a turn is actually a criminal offense in Texas - you can be arrested and go to jail. Asking her to get out of the car was legal. Asking her to put out the cigarette isn't as clear - I've heard that it was a request but not a legal order and, another opinion that it was a legal order if her belligerence gave him reason to believe she might throw the cigarette at him or try to burn him with it. Once she refused to get out of the car - a violation of a legal order - she was also subject to arrest. They both had issues and it would have been better if they'd never encountered each other.

I'll also offer this - no one likes having a police car behind them. It happens to me occasionally and I hate it. But it makes me hyper aware of the law and I am very careful as a result. If you think they are looking for an excuse to pull you over - don't give them one.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:01 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Has anyone seen the comparison of one of her regular pictures and her mugshot?

Some are believing the mugshot is staged, and she's actually already dead, and the picture is being taken while she's on the floor.

All I'm saying is it's creepy as haydes.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:06 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Has anyone seen the comparison of one of her regular pictures and her mugshot?

Some are believing the mugshot is staged, and she's actually already dead, and the picture is being taken while she's on the floor.

All I'm saying is it's creepy as haydes.
I've never seen a good mugshot. Most people are unrecognizable in them. She was arraigned and bail was set after the mugshot - so she was still alive.

Last edited by Spikett; 07-22-2015 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I've never seen a good mugshot. Most people are unrecognizable in them. She saw arraigned and bail was set after the mugshot - so she was still alive.
I figured as much. But that picture was still super creepy, even for a mugshot.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
She had to have been alive since she left a very calm voicemail message on her friends phone saying she was still unable to get out and would see her soon.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Savages. Really? I equate headhunting with savagery.
People that burn and loot and donot conform to norms of society are savages in my book.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is not up to citizens to determine lawfulness. If an officer engaged in such bizarre behavior, I personally would either comply, or ask to accompany the officer to the police station and explain immediately and on tape or camera to a supervisor what just happened. Nine out of ten officers would then stand down.
I don't know.. maybe that would work if you tried it. Someone like Bland... probably not. And it wouldn't be because you are a more upstanding citizen than her.

Quote:
An example. One of my friend's fathers was a lieutenant in the Army. During 1945 or 1946 Truman ordered Army units desegregated. A general ordered my friend's father to racially segregate his unit while training them. He demanded that the general put the order in writing. The general stood down. Someone quipped that this was "the first time a lieutenant won an argument with a general."
You really couldn't find something more recent than 1945 and something a little more, um... first person, to support your argument?

Quote:
I suspect she had a racially generated chip on her shoulder.
I suspect you are correct. And? What? Is that a crime in Texas too, as is not signalling turns?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,489,072 times
A professional cop, probably most cops, could have talked the women down and defused her anger, issued the ticked and sent her on her way. A lesson learned about signaling a lane change. He used every possible cue from her as a excuse to up his aggression.

I don't assume to know what happened in the jail but when they lock a person up they have some responsibility to see the they don't harm themselves.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,127,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I agree. She was definitely loose with all the cursing and calling the cop the p word. That really got his goat, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
To me I could careless what happened during the traffic stop, I only care about what happened at the jail. The officer isn't going to be charged with anything on the traffic stop, because he didn't break any laws. Whether you agree with the officers decision to arrest her, he didn't have to explain that to the lady and so he made an arrest. The only thing that is left here is to determine whether this was a suicide or there was foul play. Again the dash cam video is irrelevant to me. But once again that is where the most focus is going to go and we are going to be arguing this case for months, and I believe that we are never going to fully understand what happened.
She was arrested for "contempt of cop." It is a widely used tactic by police officers who feel they have been disrespected and want revenge, so they arrest the person knowing full well that the charges will be dropped, but they have now ruined your day. It is an abuse of power

After she was stopped, she did nothing illegal, and the officer wrote a citation/warning (I've seen different sites call it different things) and returned to her car.

At that point he could have given her the paper and sent her on her way, but he chose to engage her over a cigarette.

He told her to put it out; she said she didn't have to. He had no reason to order her to put it out. She was acting lawfully in her own car. She said things that were not polite, but that language is protected speech (unless she was inciting a riot, which she certainly was not). In short, his ego took over.

He opened her car door and dragged her out for absolutely no reason, and, in fact, he threatened her when he told her that he will "light her up." This is hardly professional behavior or language, and it is the very reason why the officer has been removed from the streets.

Policing is difficult, but officers are held to higher standards. He should have issued his citation and walked away. There is no reason why the woman should have gone to jail.

Last edited by davidv; 07-23-2015 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events