Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why was she in jail for 4 days? Most people would have made bail or been released on their own recognizance.

I haven't been following this case very closely, but I've seen her sister and a family lawyer on TV, and they didn't mention why she hadn't been released.
Perhaps it was because her family was in Illinois and it took a few days to try to get her out of jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:14 AM

169 posts, read 168,978 times
I just got back from vacation in France and while there, I saw an interaction between two black men and 3 french police officers. The interaction was heated as the two black men obviously saw no reason for them being stopped while walking with their shopping bags. The heated discussion continued for another five minutes. The two men let the french police officers check them (essentially a stop and frisk. something very familiar to black men here in the US). When the french officers found nothing on them, the two black men were obviously more upset and expressed this verbally and heatedly towards them as the situation began to end.

What difference did I notice? No one was beaten, no guns or tazers were pulled, and no one went to jail.

If this can be done in France (and the UK as well), why can't that be done here. Why are police putting people in jail for essentially arguing with them and trying to find out what they did wrong.

Again, HEATED interaction in Paris between black men and white french officers, and it ended peacefully.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post
I just got back from vacation in France and while there, I saw an interaction between two black men and 3 french police officers. The interaction was heated as the two black men obviously saw no reason for them being stopped while walking with their shopping bags. The heated discussion continued for another five minutes. The two men let the french police officers check them (essentially a stop and frisk. something very familiar to black men here in the US). When the french officers found nothing on them, the two black men were obviously more upset and expressed this verbally and heatedly towards them as the situation began to end.

What difference did I notice? No one was beaten, no guns or tazers were pulled, and no one went to jail.

If this can be done in France (and the UK as well), why can't that be done here. Why are police putting people in jail for essentially arguing with them and trying to find out what they did wrong.

Again, HEATED interaction in Paris between black men and white french officers, and it ended peacefully.
Cherry picking situations is always good for the Monday morning quarterback. Whether your story is real or not does not mean the exact same situation occurred here. In any event, why do some people feel the need to be defiant? Is it a status symbol to be argumentative and fight back against a police officer? Is this a notch on the belt for certain people? I don't get it.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Fourteen times Sandra Bland asked the arresting officer why she was being arrested. Not once was she told why she was being arrested.

But that's okay - I'm sure the authority-fluffers will be along shortly to explain that you don't need no stinkin' explanation as to why you're being detained by the state (once they get back from some other thread in which they're explaining why not being allowed to discriminate against gays or being required to purchase health insurance in lieu of a tax surchage is the epitome of fascist brutality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8GR3OO9mU

Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
In any event, why do some people feel the need to be defiant? Is it a status symbol to be argumentative and fight back against a police officer? Is this a notch on the belt for certain people? I don't get it.
Some people are just that way (even though she wasn't combative at the beginning). If it was me, I would have been scared and if some officer was yelling at me like that I would have just started with the tears and stayed quiet. That's just me. I don't like confrontation...never did.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:43 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
How about if we wait for the federal investigation?

So many people choosing sides before having all the facts.

Then they get so invested that they ignore any new information that might make them look like they stupidly jump the gun.

smh

Old 07-22-2015, 11:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggidy View Post

I don't know how much of this thread you've read but, from what I have read, even those who think the arrest was over the top, criticize Bland's behavior. She should have been more polite, more ingratiating, more submissive, more cooperative. Black people in America when they are not any of these things can expect swift and extreme reprisal. Insolence from black people is not well tolerated by anyone white and especially not by those in authority. There is racism in France, and the UK as well. What there isn't, as you noted, is the overt violence towards black people. Certainly not at a constant level that is as high as in the U.S. There is NO need for an officer to ask a motorist he has stopped, "what's the matter, you seem a little irritated. That's just goading behavior and in America it is almost always present in interactions between white Law Enforcement and Black citizenry.

t also doesn't seem to matter that the eyes of all the world are focussed on police jurisdictions all across America, certainly since Michael Brown. A police interaction with a black person can still end very badly in July, 2015, even as the aftershocks of earthquakes in Ferguson, St. Louis and Staten Island are still being felt. Wouldn't a cop in an encounter with a black motorist in Waller, TX give a thought to how this is all going to look when the dashcam is reviewed? Nope. Their attitudes and responses are ingrained. They can't help but treat black people with hostility and contempt and nothing about that black individual, not class, education or gender, modifies how the officer will behave. Black person, give them the treatment. Could I possibly kill her by treating her so roughly... not even a thought. It should be after all the HELL that IS being raised all over America AT THIS MOMENT.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Perhaps it was because her family was in Illinois and it took a few days to try to get her out of jail.
You can usually arrange bail within 8 hours even from out of state.
It's just a matter of wiring the bail money.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ironic, in several Liberal states it would be illegal to smoke in your own car.
Only when there are kids in your car..funny how you left that part out

Old 07-22-2015, 11:51 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
I thought it was odd that there was no time stamp on the dash cam video, I have never seen that before, and there are parts of the video that loop, might be a defective camera, I'm not sure if that could be the cause, or if it's edited. I guess NPR is having some video experts look at it. Here are the observations with some fairly good evidence that it might be edited.
Dashcam Video of Violent Arrest of Sandra Bland Was Edited | Ben Norton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events