Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
She called a bail bond company but I guess her family couldn't get the bail money together. Sandra Bland Tried to Post Bail Before She Died - KJ-Smooth R&B 105.7
Thanks for the information. I figured it would have been more difficult for a family to get their kid out of jail in a different state, especially if they didn't have a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I believe it IS against the law to not comply with the officer's orders. You can have an attitude all you want as long as you comply with what you are being asked.
That is not true. For an example if she had been recording this encounter on her cell phone and he demanded that she delete the recording she would not have to without being presented with a court order. Or even being told to stop recording would not be a lawful order as she or anyone else has the legal rights to record or photograph on a public street. Does the officer have the legal right to order her to put out her cigarette in her car? It means she would have to destroy her property just because he said so. What other than to provoke her did he have any reason to tell her to put out her cigarette? From his conduct if she had put out her smoke which would be the next button for him to press.

Look up contempt of police or other search words and you will see you are misinformed. Apparently in some states you are legally allowed to use force to prevent an unlawful arrest.

Police officers should be well paid and well trained professionals, this officer was not professional and was in the wrong. Her attitude was not good but she did nothing illegal, at least until after he forced her out of her car.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
How did a "simple traffic stop turn out like this?" That's easy. Because the driver didn't comply with the cop's order. It's the same old krapola that cops have to put up with--drivers with a whole lot of attitude who want to challenge a cop instead of "tell[ing] it to the judge."

Chuck the belligerent attitude, and comply. Period.
The USSR and Joseph Stalin would've loved you.

Last time I checked, this isn't the USSR and the police aren't Joseph Stalin, and if they THINK they are, the only "cleaning the streets" they need to be doing would be that of ones involving a broom & a dustpan.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I saw the video and she certainly didn't help herself . I also wander why her family did not bail her out within hours. Might be she couldn't even be booked how she was acting in the stop.it looked like dozens of traffic stops I have witnessed with people going crazy .
I have been wondering the same thing...I came to this thread specifically to read & find out if there's an answer to that question. For her family to question her death but not bail her out leads me to wonder if she called them. If so.....???? Guess I should continue reading as I haven't seen anything on the news about that aspect.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I have been wondering the same thing...I came to this thread specifically to read & find out if there's an answer to that question. For her family to question her death but not bail her out leads me to wonder if she called them. If so.....???? Guess I should continue reading as I haven't seen anything on the news about that aspect.
There are lots of people who cant come up with $500 cash on short notice. The real question is, why do we allow this atrocious bail bond system to even exist? The State of Oregon requires that you post 10% of your bond with the court, but you get it back if you make all your court appearances. In other states, you can kiss that 10% goodbye, that is the profit the bail bond company makes on every bond that they write.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The cops are guilty of...of what!? How does this woman's suicide put a finger of blame on the cops? The arresting cops weren't in the jail cell with her. Oh, wait. I suppose this means the correction officer's murdered her? They strung her up because... why? Oh, please share your enlightened wisdom on this matter.

Stable and professional people (as she is now being painted as) usually don't end up on the ground, fighting and swearing at the cops while getting their wrists shackled before being dragged off to jail.
I agree, regardless of how "unpopular" this position may be. Even to the extent that the PO violated department policies by not being polite (though, to be fair, he seemed plenty polite at the beginning of the stop . . . it wasn't until Bland, RIP, misbehaved that the officer became agitated), the officer had every right under TX law to arrest (in Texas, you can be arrested for failure to signal).

People getting worked up over the fact that the officer says he was going to let Bland go with just a warning before she refused to put out the cigarettes are ignoring the fact that the officer still had a legal right to arrest for the stop and had a right to order Bland out of the car for the same offense. Even if the officer's true motivation for ordering Bland out of the car was Bland's attitude surrounding the cigarette, that this is legally irrelevant so long as the officer has a legal, underlying reason to arrest, which he did.

But, more fundamentally, even if (purely for the sake of argument) the arrest was bad, that has nothing to do with the subsequent death in prison, at least not from what we know now; that would be a case of a bad arrest, period. Not only did Bland have a history of suicidal thoughts via videos, but the surveillance video from the period Bland was placed in her cell until she was found unconscious show no misconduct! None! Any potential bad arrest is not to blame for Bland's death, no matter how much race agitators want to make it out to be.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is not true. For an example if she had been recording this encounter on her cell phone and he demanded that she delete the recording she would not have to without being presented with a court order. Or even being told to stop recording would not be a lawful order as she or anyone else has the legal rights to record or photograph on a public street. Does the officer have the legal right to order her to put out her cigarette in her car? It means she would have to destroy her property just because he said so. What other than to provoke her did he have any reason to tell her to put out her cigarette? From his conduct if she had put out her smoke which would be the next button for him to press.

Look up contempt of police or other search words and you will see you are misinformed. Apparently in some states you are legally allowed to use force to prevent an unlawful arrest.

Police officers should be well paid and well trained professionals, this officer was not professional and was in the wrong. Her attitude was not good but she did nothing illegal, at least until after he forced her out of her car.
True, but you'd be a fool not to comply with an order of the police! If the PO is wrong on the law, that's what the courts are for. Battling with the police on the streets is never a winning strategy, and can be one with deadly consequences.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
The cop unnecessarily escalated the entire situation, he already gave the ticket and could have walked away. All this over she smoking?!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
The cop unnecessarily escalated the entire situation, he already gave the ticket and could have walked away. All this over she smoking?!
Even to the extent that what you write is true, that has nothing to do with Bland's death! Police misconduct, based on the evidence available in the form of the video footage from the camera placed at the cell gate, had nothing to do with Bland's death!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We are in a lot of trouble if police can't do their job, for fear of having everything second-guessed. Kicking a police officer is a very bad.
Watch the video, just watch it. Everyone watch the video. At no time did Bland ever kick the cop. That's just a falsified statement needed to justify the arrest. You can't exactly say on the report, I arrested her for a lit cigarette in her car. This is why his actions have been found unlawful by his department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events