Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
A little sarcasm on my part. Of course I expected my meaning to be clear that when you start calling the cop a p*ssy, you're more than likely going to jail at the end of that confrontation.
my bad.

I agree btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

Do I think she was murdered? No. What I think?

1. She walked into that jail raising hell about suing and maybe even spewing some cracker comments, and just being all loud.

2. The book her and ask if she's okay and all she can do is talk about suing and more of the 'I bet you feel real good, you're a man now' comments.

3. She's in her cell continuing to raise hell verbally and be loud. Then she realizes she's not okay. She said she has epilepsy in the arrest vide so maybe she started having a seizure. Maybe he did slam her head into the ground and she realizes her head doesn't feel right.

4. She starts asking for medical.

5. She gets a "ma'am, you're fine" reaction.

6. She keeps asking then goes quiet. They assume she's finally shut up but she's really dead.

7. When she's checked on they find her dead and some quick thinking makes it staged like a suicide because they denied her medical thinking she was blowing smoke and a suicide just gives a death excuse.
there's a problem with your scenario:

Quote:
Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis says no cameras were in the jail cell where Bland was found dead. But he says videos from cameras monitoring the hall outside her cell show no one entered or left it between the time she last spoke with deputies through an intercom system and when her body was discovered.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 AM

452 posts, read 898,829 times
This may have been a case of putting 2 sticks of dynamite together and getting an explosion where one person wanted more to come of it.

With more coming out on this story from la times quote from mom: "I know what my purpose is," the mother recalled Bland saying: "My purpose is to go back to Texas and stop all social injustice in the South."

The officer had issues and so did Sandra per information Ny post: Court records show Bland had several encounters with police in Illinois and Texas over the past decade, including repeated traffic stops and two arrests for drunk driving, one of which was dismissed.

This is a bad situation all together, however, it could have been settled if Ms. Bland could have not made her feelings completely known. We are in a society where we believe it is ok to always say what is on our minds but this is not true! Sometimes being quiet and not saying anything makes your life easier and having control over your emotions.

Ps I have had this happen many times where a police officer comes up behind me and every state I have signaled to pull over and let them pass. When I was stopped for a traffic violation I paid respect to the police officer and was done in 10 minutes.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
It's so ironic that so many people hate cops in general, and even more when they get punished by them after getting caught doing something illegal. But who are the first people citizens call when there is an emergency and they need immediate help? The police. You can't have it both ways. If you obey the law and do the right thing, you have nothing to worry about. If the cop stops a person and asks him/her to do something, it is much smarter to just do it and not hassle the cop about it. The vast majority of police officers are professional and courteous.

But if the person who is stopped acts like a jerk and resists, the police have one option; to use force to restrain the person, for their protection and the protection of the individual being arrested. If a person gets caught doing something illegal, he/she needs to face the consequences of his/her actions. That is one of the many jobs of the police. It's not their fault when people do illegal things. It isn't hard to understand. I agree with whoever said that the woman's suicide has isn't connected with the trooper who pulled her over. Jailers are totally different officers from patrolmen, so the likelihood that it was anything other than suicide seems pretty remote.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Why was she in jail for 4 days? Most people would have made bail or been released on their own recognizance.

I haven't been following this case very closely, but I've seen her sister and a family lawyer on TV, and they didn't mention why she hadn't been released.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
This may have been a case of putting 2 sticks of dynamite together and getting an explosion where one person wanted more to come of it.
Why do you think the national news media is covering this story
It has everything they love.... including racial fighting

Old 07-22-2015, 09:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Black people do not commit suicide at anywhere near the rates of other races. A big part of that is the overt religiosity of Black Americans as a group. Sandra Bland was a God Fearing woman. Whatever else she wasn't, she was overtly God Fearing. It is unlikely that she committed suicide! It is very unlikely that she would have been able to manage it with something as unwieldy as a trash bag!

They would have been on more solid ground asserting that she put the bag over hear head than that she fashioned a noose with it. Someone is going to have to demonstrate how that is even possible one day soon. Sadly, some of the best minds in Law Enforcement are on that assignment right now. It cannot be allowed to get out that this woman was mistreated and died as a result. America will erupt in backlash against racially biased policing if that happens.

Has it been explained why she spent so many days in police custody before dying?? Killers spend less time in jail before being released on bail. I can't think that bail for resisting arrest would be unattainable. When was she even going to get a bail hearing? But, go ahead, insist that she brought this on herself. Continue heaping up wrath against the day of anger. Listening to the dashcam audio and analysis by legal and other experts. Sorry to report that the opinion of experts in policing, law and psychology criticize the officer, not Ms. Bland. He had the power and police routinely ignore insolence, and worse, from the people they stop... when they are white. He is done as an officer, regardless of what else happens. If there was any justification for his actions he would still have a career in Law Enforcement once this was over.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Why was she in jail for 4 days? Most people would have made bail or been released on their own recognizance.

I haven't been following this case very closely, but I've seen her sister and a family lawyer on TV, and they didn't mention why she hadn't been released.
I don't get that either. surely her bond couldn't have been all that high.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't get that either. surely her bond couldn't have been all that high.
Why was she in jail at all?

Failing to use a turn signal justifies jail time? Really? What was she arrested for? Not using turn signals gets a ticket.

Was she arrested for being uppity or something?

I admit, I have not watched the video, so maybe some of the answers are there.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
Ps I have had this happen many times where a police officer comes up behind me and every state I have signaled to pull over and let them pass. When I was stopped for a traffic violation I paid respect to the police officer and was done in 10 minutes.
I'm just saying... the main assertion of Bland's family, and that of others, is that Ms. Bland's race was a factor in her treatment. I am not understanding how a poster who does not reveal their race, or self identifes as white can bring anything to the debate when they compare their treatment at the hands of law enforcement to a black persons encounter with law enforcement. I have a white wife, and at this point in my life, mainly because of where I reside, all the people I know well and interact with on a daily basis are white. I am not. I have been stopped by local police and state police in a huge number of jurisdictions across the country. The majority have been professional, even when I was alone in the car. It must be said, however, that I am always extremely polite and well spoken, articulate even. It has not always prevented rough treatment, physical rough treatment, at the hands of a very few officers. White friends tell me that they have been at least as surly and uncooperative as Bland in encounters with police and it has NEVER led to an arrest for misconduct. I also have NEVER had a traffic stop that didn't take 30 minutes, no matter how polite, gracious and cooperative I was. I have yet to be given a ticket or pay any money for the dozens of traffic stops I have endured in my short time as a driver. I lived in NYC for decades, and didn't need to drive. I learned in my 30's. In my first year as a driver I had been stopped more times, yet given no tickets or paid any fines, than white people who had been driving on public roads since they were 16! The stops are merely pretexts to run endless roadside background checks and outstanding warrants searches. Many of you wouldn't know anything about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events