Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times

Advertisements

I don't give him a pass.

Before he asked for her license and reg, he made a comment/question "Is there a problem". He knew what the problem was. He was pulling her over. He did that several times. That did nothing to deescalate the situation. As the professional, he should do better. He could have told her he was giving her a warning when he approached the car, teh first or second time instead of meeting her attitude with his own attitude. That's childish. I don't want someone with a gun playing those childish antics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I agree. She was definitely loose with all the cursing and calling the cop the p word. That really got his goat, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:30 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
To me I could careless what happened during the traffic stop, I only care about what happened at the jail. The officer isn't going to be charged with anything on the traffic stop, because he didn't break any laws. Whether you agree with the officers decision to arrest her, he didn't have to explain that to the lady and so he made an arrest. The only thing that is left here is to determine whether this was a suicide or there was foul play. Again the dash cam video is irrelevant to me. But once again that is where the most focus is going to go and we are going to be arguing this case for months, and I believe that we are never going to fully understand what happened.
You seriously think the cops hanged her in her cell? Why on earth would they do that? They weren't even the same cops who arrested her. That was a DPS officer (state trooper) who pulled her over. I guess they took her to the Waller County jail. The police said all jailhouse deaths are investigated as homicides. I just don't see any motive for doing that. Why would they want to go through that for a thing like this?

What I see is a scared woman thinking she's from out of state in Texas so she has no idea what's going to happen to her. I saw the cop getting irritated with her for not listening to instructions, and he didn't explain properly why he wanted to get her out of her vehicle. If he would have done so, she probably wouldn't have freaked out so much when he opened her door. But I don't understand why she couldn't have kept quiet about her irritation for being pulled over. That was her first mistake. Everyone knows DPS is very by the book. They don't normally give warnings, which he was going to do with her and had done in the previous stop of a young black woman who wasnt being belligerent. That girl knew how to handle a routine traffic stop. This girl was scared or upset and let her emotions get the best of her. The cop did too, but I don't see how that ends up with a woman hanged in a jail cell. This girl was suffering from depression, on her way to a job interview with her alma mater, and then worried about how this arrest was going to affect that. I can see how someone with mental issues could become overwhelmed and kill herself. I would have never thought so a few years ago, until a close family member started having mental issues like that. Now I know they don't think like a normal person in that state.

It's very tragic, but I don't think it's murder.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Just saw the video. That cop instigated the whole thing and got upset because he could not handle her snarky attitude.

What is the problem? You are giving me a ticket for a petty traffic violation.
Put the cigarette out? I am in my car smoking.

What a buster!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,903,717 times
There is not one speck of evidence that this is a murder.

That both the cop and woman needlessly got confrontational is completely another story. Each had opportunities to de-escalate the situation, and both chose to continue to escalate it. It's more the cop's fault in that he is the trained professional but ultimately the woman made the choice to stir things up unnecessarily.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You seriously think the cops hanged her in her cell? Why on earth would they do that? They weren't even the same cops who arrested her. That was a DPS officer (state trooper) who pulled her over. I guess they took her to the Waller County jail. The police said all jailhouse deaths are investigated as homicides. I just don't see any motive for doing that. Why would they want to go through that for a thing like this?
Most people who are not blinded by loyalty to cops know that they are dirty and there is collusion (Thin Blue Line). Even Serpico had to deal with it back in his time.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:48 PM

601 posts, read 460,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Just saw the video. That cop instigated the whole thing and got upset because he could not handle her snarky attitude.

What is the problem? You are giving me a ticket for a petty traffic violation.
Put the cigarette out? I am in my car smoking.

What a buster!
Another sickening example of the sense of entitlement cops feel. They think just having a badge on makes them worthy of respect. What a joke. Whenever I see in the news that a cop has been killed for whatever reason, I see it as bad karma catching up for that individual's sins or the sins of his brothers in blue.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:52 PM

755 posts, read 675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Here are the facts from the hour long dash cam.

1) She makes a right turn onto a two lane street. Cop does a U turn and starts to speed up to catch up to her.

2) She moves from the left lane to the right lane as he is approaching her from behind quickly.

3) He pulls nehind her and pulls her over.

4) He walks up to the car and says something like "what's wrong with you?". he takes her license and reg and goes to his car for about 5 minutes

5) He walks back up to the car and says, is there a problem. She starts to tell him yes, she has a problem that he is pulling her over, That she changed lanes to get out of his way. He says "Are you done now". She responds that she was answering his question..

6) he asks her to put her cigarette out. She asks why, because she is in her car. he tells her to get out ofthe car and it goes down hill from there.

She definitely made things worse, but he didn't do himself any favors.
he was picking at her. Why he would pull someone over for getting out of the way of a quickly approaching police car is beyond me. He didn't do anything to deescalate the situation.

It is the TRAINED officer's job to control the situation. You can't ask all citizens to be happy while getting ticketed. You expect her, a regular person, to be emotionally skilled when she feels she is being mistreated?

The officer has experience with situations like this, an average person does not. I put the entire escalation of the situation on the officer.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
^ my guess as well.

Also, if you look at her FB page you will see that she has been quite active in speaking against LE brutality. I wouldent be all that shocked if she purposely did something to get pulled over and then started mouthing off and fighting the cops. In other words, she wanted to create a scene. As for her death, she probably figured out she was going to lose her new job and with her history of depression it's easy to see why she could have committed suicide.

Acceptable ways to deal with law enforcement:

1) Yes sir/No sir or Yes mam/No mam.
2) Use the appropriate title such as Officer, Deputy, Trooper; or their rank Sergeant, Lieutenant, etc.
3) DO NOT be mouthy and say garbage like "Yo pig you pulled me ova just cause I Black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". No moron, they pulled you over because you violated the VTL law or have a warrant in your name.
4) DO NOT fight the cops. If you fight with the cops your going to get your ***** kicked.
5) DO NOT act aggressive. Comply with the demands of the LEOs on scene. If they tell you to keep your hands on the steering wheel, or to stick your hands out the window ... DO SO. DO NOT jump out of the car and get in their faces (see 3 & 4).
I wouldn't be disrespectful to a cop or to anyone, really, but I'm not going to kiss a LEO's ass, either. They work for us, we pay their salary, they aren't distinguished lecturers or Nobel Peace prize winners, they are public servants. As are clerks, sanitation workers and council members.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Why is this an issue? She kicked the police officer, something you never do, and was thrown in jail, where she hung herself... I see no problems here - except her own stupidity. I'm sorry she died, and if she had depression and was suicidal I'm sorry about that, but maybe she shouldn't have decided to attack the cop who was arresting her for a valid reason.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
Cop was massively stupid himself. Pulling her out of a car!?! If I were being physically pulled out of a car I would think I'm about to be assaulted and murdered on the road there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events