Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 08:45 PM

241 posts, read 221,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You don't just suddenly decide to kill yourself.
Where did you get your psychology degree? I know they have some amazing programs in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Where did you get your psychology degree? I know they have some amazing programs in Jersey.
They do have great programs in New Jersey.

You don't need a degree that know that a person with a history of depression and who recently lost a baby, who has recently moved to a new state for a new job where she probably knew no one, who also has recent scars on her arms from cutting, is probably suicidal, especially if she actually committed suicide.

Regardless, suicide is not a decision one makes in haste.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She wasn't driving while drinking. Her new employer was an intitution of higher education. Liberal in outlook? Possibly? I think they would have wanted to hire her more than ever after that video went viral. It is more likely that after that stupid cop got into some of the deepest poo of his life over his actions on Friday that him or some of his buddies were allowed to visit Bland and spend some quality time with her ironing out some of the difficulties in their communication the previous week. That's what I think. I don't know anymore than I can know, and that isn't much.
Again, the motive to do that is not there. He was a state trooper, a totally separate entity. Traffic cops call the local police to arrest, and the last he sees of the defendant is when the local police are taking him or her to jail. Do you really think this guy was so pissed over this that he rounded up some buddies and demanded the county jailers (many or whom are black) to let them rough her up a little bit? Teach her a lesson al la 1955? I just don't see it. This cop probably has dealt with much worse in his time. Why would he risk life in prison over something like this? Why would black jailers allow a jailhouse lynching, by police that aren't even co-workers? I'm sorry, but it just doesnt pass the smell test.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Give it a rest, please. Irresponsible behavior is not punishable by death, get over it. For the moment let's pretend (because it takes lots of pretending) that what the cop did was lawful.

That leaves you with the undeniable fact that the jail failed to put her on suicide watch after she admitted being depressed and previously attempted suicide and had wounds that any cop or jailer would normally recognize as signs of self-mutilation which are a huge indicator of a person who is very likely to attempt suicide in the near future. They failed their responsibility to that woman, no matter how rude or irresponsible she was, they failed to protect her from harming herself. In law enforcement that is taken very seriously. I expect that the jail commander will be transferred or fired along with the staff that was on duty during this incident.

You give it a rest. I already said that the jail should have recognized that she was a suicide risk.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You can still like someone just because they have a different opinion than you on one issue. Just because YOU don't think she's "fair and level-headed" doesn't mean she actually isn't, or that others don't think her posts are spot on.

What a rude comment that is to make to her. I could say the same about the posts others are making here that disagree with me but I won't judge someone on one topic (especially online where it doesn't even matter anyway ).
Perhaps you should mind your own business.

And of course people here think her posts are spot on. This forum is one of the most racist on the board. No surprise there.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Again, the motive to do that is not there. He was a state trooper, a totally separate entity. Traffic cops call the local police to arrest, and the last he sees of the defendant is when the local police are taking him or her to jail. Do you really think this guy was so pissed over this that he rounded up some buddies and demanded the county jailers (many or whom are black) to let them rough her up a little bit? Teach her a lesson al la 1955? I just don't see it. This cop probably has dealt with much worse in his time. Why would he risk life in prison over something like this? Why would black jailers allow a jailhouse lynching, by police that aren't even co-workers? I'm sorry, but it just doesnt pass the smell test.
Of course it doesn't make sense. But we have some extremely paranoid and distrustful people around here. I feel sorry for them more than anything.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Wow, Kathryn. I used to like you I thought you were one of the fair and level headed posters on this board.
I'm very surprised and saddened by your pots here.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

It is what it is. The woman had a pretty extensive record of unlawful behavior, unpaid fines, etc. She was spring loaded. She was doing drugs while supposedly about to start a new job. She was belligerent. She couldn't even muster up enough people who felt they should post bail for her in spite of numerous phone calls.

Was she mentally ill? I don't know. I don't think she had a diagnosis - if so, it hasn't come out that I'm aware of.

Was she a suicide risk? Probably - and I have said repeatedly that I think the jail/authorities there didn't recognize this, which is a negative strike against them. That being said, I don't think anyone caused her death except Sandra Bland herself. Sad but true.

She should have been on a suicide watch, probably, though. But she was on a serious downward spiral regardless of this particular arrest.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM

13,428 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you guys know that Sandra Bland - who had weed in her system while on her way to a new job (drug testing, anyone?) also had NUMEROUS traffic violations which she had not paid - even though some violations were several years old. She has had at least 10 encounters with police including DUI, possession of marijuana and even retail theft. At the time of her death she owed over $7000 in fines in fact.
Suburban Woman Found Dead in Jail Had Previous Encounters With Police | NBC Chicago

She made numerous calls to her friends and family from the jail, but no one was willing to put up the $500 bail bond to bail her out. Maybe they were all tired of bailing her out at this point.

You know - I realize that immediately people are going to say "But that doesn't mean she deserved to die!" No, but it does show a pattern of illegal and irresponsible behavior as well as a blatant disregard for the law and for the rights of others.
Says the person who has repeatedly admitted to being pulled over at least once a year for their lead foot.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Perhaps you should mind your own business.

And of course people here think her posts are spot on. This forum is one of the most racist on the board. No surprise there.
Your insinuation is that I'm a racist.

That's a laugh. If I was a racist I'd have to divorce myself from just about all of my immediate family.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Says the person who has repeatedly admitted to being pulled over at least once a year for their lead foot.
Yeah, I know - I got a ticket once for going 35 miles an hour. In a 25 mile an hour zone.

I don't usually get a ticket, because I'm usually not going much over the speed limit. I probably get a ticket about once every three or four years, but I don't ever argue with the police officer because I figure if I get a ticket, I probably deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events